DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Anxiety...

I do not worry about anything. Worrying is going to help anything,what is going to help tho is checking everything before you fly at certain areas to make sure everything you do is totally legal. Do your preflight inspection to make sure it’s good to go then just fly and keep your mind on what the mission is that you are there for. If my bird falls out of the sky,oh well,that’s what I have insurance for. There’s a chance every time you take it out that it may not come back and you have to be ok with that. Out of the several birds I’ve had one dropped out of the sky from a battery malfunction.

I'm wondering if anyone else experiences flight anxiety like I do. Let me first say that I am new to this hobby. So, maybe as I get more flights under my belt, this anxiety will diminish. Currently, I've pretty much flown in my backyard, where I hope it is safe.

I'm a photographer and bought the Mavic for the unique photographic perspective it can provide. But it seems there are so many things to worry about before, during and after flying. For example, right or wrong, foolish or smart, justified or unjustified, I worry about the following:

• Upsetting others around me when I fly. Seems there's always some anti-drone person around.
• The police showing up because of some complaint. Even if I'm doing everything by the book, I'm not a confrontational person, so I would quickly acquiesce if told by authorities to stop flying and move on.
• Rules, rules, rules. Am I flying over too many people? Is this gathering of people considered a public event? Am I five miles away from an airport? Am I five miles away from the nearest helipad?
• Am I on private or public property?
• Am I disturbing someone's privacy?
• Is the drone too loud?
• Is it legal to fly here? Is it legal to fly above whatever I'm above?
• Will I lose the drone? Will it flyaway?
• Do I have all the settings correct?
• Will I crash land and make a fool of myself?

Please share any experiences you may have had or still have when flying? How did you overcome them, or do you still experience them when flying?

Thanks!
I'm wondering if anyone else experiences flight anxiety like I do. Let me first say that I am new to this hobby. So, maybe as I get more flights under my belt, this anxiety will diminish. Currently, I've pretty much flown in my backyard, where I hope it is safe.

I'm a photographer and bought the Mavic for the unique photographic perspective it can provide. But it seems there are so many things to worry about before, during and after flying. For example, right or wrong, foolish or smart, justified or unjustified, I worry about the following:

• Upsetting others around me when I fly. Seems there's always some anti-drone person around.
• The police showing up because of some complaint. Even if I'm doing everything by the book, I'm not a confrontational person, so I would quickly acquiesce if told by authorities to stop flying and move on.
• Rules, rules, rules. Am I flying over too many people? Is this gathering of people considered a public event? Am I five miles away from an airport? Am I five miles away from the nearest helipad?
• Is the drone too loud?

Please share any experiences you may have had or still have when flying? How did you overcome them, or do you still experience them when flying?

Thanks!
One of the things important is to fly with common sense Learn from other peoples mistakes. Experiment and learn from other peoples mistakes. Understanding how the
flight and area will affect your sensors. And, when in doubt LAND make the flight short
and move on to another location. Don't send drone beyond visible range. This is a big
issue, pilots tend to push the envelope to see what happens. important to have a preflight check list. This will help you avoid pilot error, most drones are lost because
of pilot error. Pilots are not thinking despite many successful flights, somethings are
overlooked with end result loss of drone. I love flying, over water, bought some pontoons
and practicing low altitude flying above a small pond to see how it affects the sensors.
Anyway, happy flying.

• Is the drone too loud?

Thanks!
Man you gotta relax. Dont worry about everyone else. I live in an apartment complex with a lot of snooty people. What I do is A) get them to ask questions about it, show them the screen durning flight then theyre hooked. and B) I try to fly above 200 feet. This keeps the noises down and a lot of the lil birdies away. Other than that you paid for it the mavic is a very smart and safe bird. It tends to compensate for subtle mistakes. So seriously try to relax and enjoy the sights while being mindful to your surroundings that is lol

• Is the drone too loud?

Thanks!

Only thing i would make sure was right is the distance to airports. Dont really wanna break that one. Everything else is pretty much in the grey zone. When it comes to many people, public areas etc, I find that people dont really care what you do and when they do they are curious and want to know more. I was hovering over my brother when he was being filmed for a huge national TV-production here in Norway and that time i just asked the crew if i could and it was no problem. Lots of people and police guarding around the area. No stress

Actually, I'd say it's a good thing that you have some degree of concern about all these things. It means you have an awareness of the various legitimate issues involved with flying a drone in public, how it relates to people around us, and how to fly while still being a good "neighbor" to the people around you.

The key things are: (1) know the rules - I know there are a lot but it will make you more confident to know them inside out. (2) Come up with a plan to mitigate each of those things. Example: Will it be too loud? You can launch farther away from other people, or maybe fly higher and not linger if you can help it, or maybe buy a set of quieter props. It all depends on the case.

Reactions: geevee
I can't fly without shaking hands. It ( Mod Removed ) up my videos all the time because they are not smooth!

Last edited by a moderator:

• Is the drone too loud?

Thanks!

One thing! Stay closer to your drone if you can. You can see obstacles better , get closer more dynamic shots because you aren’t in fear of crashing. Another thing, don’t fly a mile or 2 away. I’ve had the Mavic lose connection 5 feet from me. If you are out of LOS and this happens it’s a recipe for disaster. Just drive your car closer to what you want to film and launch. The gimbal and controls are an extension for your brain, master them, tweak them and be one with them

You're not alone, Floyd. I worry too and I have had one scary experience already in 13 months of flying. Having my drone lost or damaged is not good but I really worry about losing control of the drone or its motors shut down in mid-air (happened with my Spark) and it plummets down and hits someone or worse, onto a busy highway and shocks a driver and causes a major pile-up.

The solution of course is to fly in places where such accidents can't happen and I try to do so. But I really would like to take pictures and videos like those I see of cities. How do those guys have the confidence to fly their drone around buildings and over busy streets? I know one guy who flew his drone 2.3 kms to a spot over a stadium. I am amazed and asked him about it and he said he had LOS and it must have been very high to have LOS then. I have only gone as far as 500 metres away.

Today, I took my drone to the beach for the first time and I was really scared flying over water so I just kept it over the sand. Then it seemed to have control problems and I almost lost it so I gave up.

As many will say, we need to be responsible so that our hobby does not get condemned and stricter laws are introduced. In Malaysia, we don't need to register hobby drones and just need to stay away from designated no-drone zones like airports and government buildings. I worry that eventually, one accident may change such a liberal attitude.

Chips

Reactions: geevee
@floyd
I've been flying for almost two years and I still have a bit of nervousness with each flight. One thing that might help is if you go for your Part-107 certification. Knowledge can dissipate anxiety on some level. You might still worry a bit about hardware, but if you know a bit more about aircraft, airspace, weather, etc., you might ease a good bit of that anxiety. It also will give you credibility if the cops or public show up. I've shown my cool looking credit card sized FAA certification to a lot of people and once they see it they ease up and treat me as a professional instead of a poacher. The card has "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA - DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION - FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION" right at the top on it and a hologram foil logo. It looks very legitimate, and well, it "IS" very legitimate. Once they see it their whole demeanor changes instantly as long as you act professionally and respectfully. It sounds like you have that kind of personality already anyway.

One more thing, and this might sound silly, but I dress the part when I plan to fly in tricky areas. I wear a shirt with a collar and khakis and never shorts or jeans with a beer t-shirt. It's amazing how if you look the part people will just assume you are supposed to be there. If you wear shorts, flops and a ratty t-shirt, you are not going to get any credibility points if things get dicey.

Also, I've found many places I wanted to fly and have gone in to the desk or owner holding my card and have said, "Hi, I'm a certified FAA drone pilot and wondered if I could do a quick flight from your property?" I'm rarely turned down. Then, I know I'm not annoying anyone and the cops won't be called because, I have permission. All of a sudden now 90% of the anxiety is gone.

Plus, if you get your certification, the added bonus would be that someone could hire you legally to fly a job for them and you could make some cash.

Reactions: geevee and floyd
And what to do, if the excrement hits the fan.

A few of mine:
Wind kicked up and quad is blowing away? Decrease altitude, if there is room to spare, and switch to Sport mode and get it home.

Losing signal? Increase altitude.

Lost video and lost LOS of quad? Use Go4's map to fly back to LOS.

Go4 froze or crashed and lost LOS? Restart Go4 and/or Use RC's display to fly back to LOS, or initiate RTH from RC.

Once you handle a few situations like that you will gain more confidence.

Mike
Excellent advice and precisely summarised. Thanks Mike.

Last time I was in a popular tourist area to take a few drone videos and pictures I spotted a policeman about 300 feet from me so before taking off I walked over to him and told him that I would be flying the drone for a few minutes (note: I didn't ask him) and he said fine. That eased my mind a lot because most of them don't know if it's legal or not and they tend to lean towards it not being legal. My advise is to know all the rules and fly only after checking everything out and making the proper notifications etc.

Exactly my situation. Keen photographer, scared Mavic pilot!
Recently out cruising on my motorcycle and spotted interesting old mining structure. It was a feature of a park with a few ladies enjoying morning tea while their kids played on the swings about 70 metres off to the side. The image of a big bloke (185cm, 120kg) arriving on a big bike could be intimidating. So I took the Mavic out of the saddle bag and went straight to the ladies and asked if the objected to me photographing with the drone. They could not have been nicer, and in fact were surprised that I had asked. I explained that there were many misconceptions about drones.
The moral of this long winded story- Do the right thing. Help spread the word that not everyone who flys a drone is a brain dead moron intent on spying, risk taking and generally disrupting the lives of others. So far I have not had one objection to the drone and in fact most people have shown a real interest in what it can do.
I hope that this helps with your concerns.

Just watch AC/DC Thunderstruck with Jets video before you go fly. You'll be fine. Just be careful of the high speed landings.

You just have to keep trying and you'll learn to trust the aircraft.

That trust does not come easily when anomalous things like disconnects and app crashes happen with no apparent rhyme or reason. I still have a great deal of anxiety when I fly; somewhat less than before, because I've experienced so many anomalies and lived to fly another day, but I don't think that anxiety will ever go away. You can do literally everything right and still have a disconnect or an app crash or a controller freeze or some other anomaly that can lead to disaster.

I fly mostly VLOS on my property. 5 acres I've slowly over the past week gone further out past my property to about 1600 ft 150alt. So yesterday I'm sitting on my deck and whoa a big fire starts about half mile away Lots of heavy black smoke, so I know not to put up the drone, but this morning I think I'll put it up and go take a look , well I was just about at the 2000 foot mark alt 200 and I get a heavy Interference error, the loss of signal , I'm shakin, sweating , like yikes then I get a motor error and I lose my screen visual, I already pulled back on the stick trying to bring it back closer, but Im shakin ya know its all red at the top of screen no nothin, but I'm still in reverse hoping its still in the air and coming back to me, I hit the RTH button but nothing seems to happen then all of a sudden top goes green signal returns and the screen comes back on, I push the stick turn it around towards me and bring it home. I run it hard in circles around the yard up down sideways, to see if that motor error comes back but all seems fine.
But yea I was scared I was gonna lose it there for a bit.
I don't know why all this happened as its pretty flat land, no power lines or anything. I was facing the drone good LOS, my antennas were straight up , so I don't know why at 2000 feet out all went crazy.

First and foremost, logging more time flying your drone will give you the experience you need to build your confidence and calm your nerves. I used to get the shakes during every flight when I first got my MP. I was used to flying home-made quads without GPS that crashed all the time. It took me awhile to trust the MP and myself.

In order to do that, you need to find a comfortable place to fly on a regular basis. I called the Parks Department of a neighboring town (because drone flying is not allowed in public spaces where I live, and I'm surrounded by airports, heliports, hospitals, etc) that has lots of parks. I got their permission to fly at one particular park, even though I didn't need their permission. Now, whenever I fly there, I know that I can give the head of the Parks Department's name and phone number if anyone gives me a problem, including the police. However, I have NEVER had a problem because I follow the rules.

Once you have a good place to fly, start small and work your way up. Every time I went out to fly, I set a small goal. "Today I'm going to try to go this far or this high." Then I would spend a battery or two trying different Quick Shots, Active Tracks, Point of Interest, or Sport Mode. Then I focused more on trying to get specific shots around objects or over water. And if I ever ran into trouble, I would immediately land the drone in a safe place (I never use RTH except once to make sure it worked) and google for a solution. For example, I was flying in "my" park in the late afternoon/early evening and started to fly over a large pond. The MP stopped dead in it's tracks near the edge of the water and was hesitant to respond to commands. After getting the MP to finally fly backwards away from the water, I brought it back to me and landed. After some Google Fu, I realized that the Obstacle Avoidance was being tricked by the sunlight over the water. Since I was in an open area, I turned off Obstacle Avoidance and tried the same flight at a slower speed. This time, I had no problems, and I learned a valuable lesson about how the MP's systems work.

Another suggestion is to Plan Your Flight and Fly Your Plan. You will make yourself infinitely more relaxed if you have a plan and know what you're going to do if there is a problem. Use Google Maps to scout your area and find alternate landing zones just in case. Make sure there aren't any large metal structures in your flight path or near your takeoff or landing zone that can mess with your compass (like your own vehicle). Make sure there are no overhanging structures or trees above your takeoff location in case you have to use RTH, because you may be able to fly forward at 40 feet of altitude when you takeoff from a location, but will be blocked by a tree canopy when descending straight down from 200 feet.

Lastly, I would suggest that you occasionally test your limits, but don't push them. For example, if you have a fear or concern about flying over water, you should try crossing streams or small ponds before trying to cross a large lake or flying out over the ocean. And when in doubt, DO NOT FLY. Pushing the limits in unsafe situations or when you are rushed is probably going to end badly.

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Reactions: floyd
Very thoughtful thread !

In 18 months of flying our biggest concern was high wind
here in New England. Until ... I tried to move the Mavic down
from a table top to the ground below it.
Maybe 3 feet ! (It was in 'all green' flight ready mode.)
The Mavic fought trying to lower it
and we were blown away by how powerful the 4 motors
spinning at take-off RPM's together are. Wow! Never made it !!!
Instead I powered it down and then moved it.
This first hand demonstration was a real eye opener
about how strong the wind must be (at 3-400ft.) when the Mavic can't make
headway due to high wind and warnings.
Mavic Pro is one incredible piece of technology.

We were impressed that DJI was interested in buying
Hasselblad. That was evidence of a serious commitment
to high end optics. 19 months ago we ordered our office's first MP.

Any time you get a question while flying the answer is never yes we are flying a drone and always--- We are taking some pictures of (____)
Altitude is a good thing, get up high enough to where there is nothing to hit 100 -150 feet and Fly Fly Fly Your Bird.
Never Panic just wait a moment if a glitch happens, it will go away they always do.
Any newer DJI product will fly perfectly every time, do not worry about the Aircraft.
Once you feel good out piloting then work on figuring out the like no other camera you are using camera
Buy some ND filters. (Polar Pro for me)
You will learn where to fly and not fly as you practice. if it doesn't feel right don't fly the mission.
We have been flying DJI for about 5 years my wife and I decided to go full time Pro a year ago. 20 to 40 flights a week. We have never had an issue with a DJI Product during flight or an RTH button press.

Well its good to know you have that confidence and in time I hope I will too. I can't afford to loose a 1000$ aircraft so I hope your right that things will always straighten themselves out, but I'm not sure I believe that after reading all the stories of drones just flying away or crashing, props falling off what ever. Stuff does go wrong.

Well its good to know you have that confidence and in time I hope I will too. I can't afford to loose a 1000$ aircraft so I hope your right that things will always straighten themselves out, but I'm not sure I believe that after reading all the stories of drones just flying away or crashing, props falling off what ever. Stuff does go wrong.
I can't afford to loose $1000 either $1500 on the p4p and yes I totally understand. The reason I say that is because it is true. I read all of the horror stories and most are scary. This may be my first post due to the lack of drama that every story needs. Example : Flew 4 missions today UAV preformed perfectly, took some great Video and Stills, great cloud cover in the sky stills show great depth, wow I'm an awesome pilot. Untold stories like this are much much more common than The pilot error cover up stories, and the actual UAV malfunction. Flying with some fear is simple respect for what you are doing. Flying with too much fear or too little respect can end up another scary story. The point is don't worry about the UAV (DJI Product) doing its job focus on piloting it. You will learn where and when fly as your piloting skills improve. Just like any aircraft there is always risk when in the airiest not as much as the internet makes it out to be in my experience. Go Fly Have fun you have an amazing aircraft just be careful and mindful when flying and take pride in what ever ability you have as a pilot. It is so awesome once you really start to trust your abilities then realize the drone really does all of the flying, you are simply telling it where to go. Then Combo moves for Dynamic video content addiction sets in.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman