DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight around the Acropolis of Athens

I believe the Acropolis of Athens needs no introduction :)

This is a short video i made around the monument on a warm evening in July 2018
When labor was cheap! Well done.

Reactions: pahas
Maybe no one confronted him.:) Good job nice video captured.

I was there a few weeks ago via a Mediterranean cruise, and an oriental guy broke out his MP right on the Acropolis itself, among hundreds if not thousands of people. In fact I think he must have done a hand take off, because it was too crowded for a normal take off. The MP had just taken off and was about 10 feet in the air, when 3 tour guides with walkie talkies confronted him and told him to bring it down. He hand caught it and in broken in broken English asked if he had to delete the pictures. They told him no and he was allowed to take the MP and put it away. I think he got lucky because it was only licensed tour guides and not security or police. To this day I cannot figure out if he was really dumb or just playing really dumb.

I was there a few weeks ago via a Mediterranean cruise, and an oriental guy broke out his MP right on the Acropolis itself, among hundreds if not thousands of people. In fact I think he must have done a hand take off, because it was too crowded for a normal take off. The MP had just taken off and was about 10 feet in the air, when 3 tour guides with walkie talkies confronted him and told him to bring it down. He hand caught it and in broken in broken English asked if he had to delete the pictures. They told him no and he was allowed to take the MP and put it away. I think he got lucky because it was only licensed tour guides and not security or police. To this day I cannot figure out if he was really dumb or just playing really dumb.
It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission. [emoji6]

That is so special. Fantastic way to see it. Thanks for sharing footage.

Hi Pahas,

That video is absolutely incredible! Great camera work, and truly top notch. I watched it 3 times already. Isn't it amazing what a thousand dollar gadget can do.

Regards,

Kevin

I was there in July with my grandson. Truly amazing. It depends on the guards. One called our attention because he picked up a small rock in side the rope. I think the reason he got away flying is because he's flying it from the hill across from the Acropolis. Easy to fly it from there because there is only one guard on the opposite side not facing the Acropolis. Good job.

I was there in July with my grandson. Truly amazing. It depends on the guards. One called our attention because he picked up a small rock in side the rope. I think the reason he got away flying is because he's flying it from the hill across from the Acropolis. Easy to fly it from there because there is only one guard on the opposite side not facing the Acropolis. Good job.
Well, i flew when the Acropolis was closed and no security guards around. And indeed i flew from a hill opposite the Acropolis (Areopagus). I saw at least two more drones flying around. I was careful at least not to fly over the Parthenon.

Few months ago i was with a friend taking pictures at the Acropolis at night with tripod. So we were shooting from the area of Pnyka, just opposite the Acropolis. It was around midnight. There is a security guard there and we went next to were he sits with our tripods. He stood up and told us it is illegal to take pictures with a tripod and that we should at least go somewhere where he cannot see us :). And so we did..

Thanks for watching and the comments btw

Oh not another pointless Fun Police doom and gloom statement.
If you have nothing positive to say don’t click “Post Reply” and bore us all.
Thank you.
Theres no problem until there's a problem. Read all the "oops my Mavic just got away" posts and try to imagine the consequences if a story like one of those played out at the Acropolis with thousands of people on the ground. He probably could have gotten equally impressive video without flying directy over crowds. I think thats an important factor in the making of a good pilot.

Last edited:
Oh not another pointless Fun Police doom and gloom statement.
If you have nothing positive to say don’t click “Post Reply” and bore us all.
Thank you.
Oh do go and play in the sand pit with the rest of the children !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98