DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight log uploading to cloud?

BrianA

Reactions
What is the advantage/disadvantage (dangers?) of backing up flight logs to the cloud? I'm not a fan of uploading anything to a chinese "cloud" since they seem to have their fingers into everything they can, including drone flights. I have that option disabled in the fly app. Probably a futile effort to try to restrict personal data, but, I will always make the attempt.

What is the advantage/disadvantage (dangers?) of backing up flight logs to the cloud?
The big advantage is that if you lose the phone/tablet you fly with or update to a new device, your records aren't lost and transfer across to the new or replacement device.
Disadvantage or dangers?
I can't think of any.

Probably a futile effort to try to restrict personal data, but, I will always make the attempt.
It's not futile .. your data won't be seen by DJI unless you synch (upload to their server.
But really there's nothing in your flight data that you would need to be concerned about anyway.

What is the advantage/disadvantage (dangers?)
Likely not something of concern for most people, but many flight logs do contain thumbnail images snapped by the camera. So, if you were flying around a top secret location (government maybe?), DJI might be able to see classified images if they happened to stumble across your flight log for whatever reason.

As an alternative to cloud storage, back your logs up to computer of better yet two external HDDs, you can then move or copy them to phones etc. of your choice.

As an alternative to cloud storage, back your logs up to computer of better yet two external HDDs, you can then move or copy them to phones etc. of your choice.
Hadn't thought of that. Now, if I can only figure out how to do that. Not sure what directory they're kept in.

For the OP, what cloud? There are many cloud storage locations, so being specific would be helpful. And, specifically, which flight logs?
I always download the .DAT and .TXT files from my device to my computer where they are kept in storage along with my routine backup procedure.
I also upload the .TXT files to AirData so I can review and analyze the flight data.
I don't go along with automated uploads as I want to manage my data files.

Likely not something of concern for most people, but many flight logs do contain thumbnail images snapped by the camera. So, if you were flying around a top secret location (government maybe?), DJI might be able to see classified images if they happened to stumble across your flight log for whatever reason.

I seriously doubt that those thumbnail images would provide more information than what's readily available in all the free online satellite image services, like Google Earth and Google Maps. And the Chinese have satellite imaging systems much sophisticated that those services.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I seriously doubt that those thumbnail images would provide more information than what's readily available in all the free online satellite image services, like Google Earth and Google Maps
I guess you're thinking of images shot from high up in the sky? Yeah, they are probably similar if your drones happen to only snap those images when they are high up in the sky.

I seriously doubt that those thumbnail images would provide more information than what's readily available in all the free online satellite image services, like Google Earth and Google Maps. And the Chinese have satellite imaging systems much sophisticated that those services.
Public images downward from high in the sky will be very much different from horizontal close-up images of someone's private property or person.

Reactions: msinger
Public images downward from high in the sky will be very much different from horizontal close-up images of someone's private property or person.

Yes.

But I see little chance of national security issues arising from the thumbnail images included with the flight logs of consumer drones.

But I see little chance of national security issues arising from the thumbnail images included with the flight logs of consumer drones.
As I noted above, many people might not care if their personal thumbnails are shared. And I know this is probably obvious (or maybe not to some?), but government agencies and other companies not allowed to share confidential information (like these snapshots) are flying consumer DJI drones.

What is the advantage/disadvantage (dangers?) of backing up flight logs to the cloud? I'm not a fan of uploading anything to a chinese "cloud" since they seem to have their fingers into everything they can, including drone flights. I have that option disabled in the fly app. Probably a futile effort to try to restrict personal data, but, I will always make the attempt.
If the ChiComs really want the most detailed photo survey or Clear Creek Canyon in northern Nevada ever made, they are welcome to it!

As I noted above, many people might not care if their personal thumbnails are shared. And I know this is probably obvious (or maybe not to some?), but government agencies and other companies not allowed to share confidential information (like these snapshots) are flying consumer DJI drones.
Not allowed to share doesn't mean they won't. The govt isn't allowed to do a lot of things but they do it anyway with no accountability. I don't trust ANYTHING about any govt any longer. What little confidence I had has gone long ago.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Not allowed to share doesn't mean they won't. The govt isn't allowed to do a lot of things but they do it anyway with no accountability. I don't trust ANYTHING about any govt any longer.
I'm not so sure we're talking about the same thing here. The fact that some companies/organizations/agencies don't want to share their flight data doesn't make them untrustworthy. They don't share it because they don't trust other people to manage their data.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I'm not so sure we're talking about the same thing here. The fact that some companies/organizations/agencies don't want to share their flight data doesn't make them untrustworthy. They don't share it because they don't trust other people to manage their data.
Means exactly what you said and I replied to. "but government agencies and other companies not allowed to share confidential information..." The point I was trying to make is that DJI is a chinese company. Basic fact: I DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING CHINESE wrt privacy, data of any sort but especially personal data, no matter how insignificant it may be. The fact is that whether it is a company or the government and aren't SUPPOSED to share/use data, doesn't mean they won't without you knowing it. I'll step down off my soapbox. Just expressing my concern with my information uploaded to a chinese cloud.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc