DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight logs can someone check them

Ryanmini

Reactions
yesterday i took my drone out for a fly, im having a couple of issues with my drone like coming up wind speed error even though theres no wind speed also starts to fly downwards auto, ive replaced all props to brand new dji ones. i will upload my flight log to see if anyone can see if theres an issue thats noticeable, it come up wind error when i use the yaw stick to turn the drone around
thanks
Ryan

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-12-08_[13-56-52].txt
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 2020-12-08_13-56-21_FLY037.DAT
    8.6 MB · Views: 15
yesterday i took my drone out for a fly, im having a couple of issues with my drone like coming up wind speed error even though theres no wind speed also starts to fly downwards auto, ive replaced all props to brand new dji ones. i will upload my flight log to see if anyone can see if theres an issue thats noticeable, it come up wind error when i use the yaw stick to turn the drone around
thanks
Ryan

There is a good chance there is wind , just not on the ground but testing this as mentioned is a great idea, isolate the drone from the wind and see it how responds.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini in the Rain/Snow

There is a good chance there is wind , just not on the ground but testing this as mentioned is a great idea, isolate the drone from the wind and see it how responds.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini in the Rain/Snow
The drone was literally right in front of me with no wind at all! Not even a breeze it happens every time I use the left hand stick on the controller to turn it round

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
The drone was literally right in front of me with no wind at all! Not even a breeze it happens every time I use the left hand stick on the controller to turn it round
Can you post a video of the spin ?

it’s charging now, but when I use the right stick to turn around it doesn’t stay in one place it goes all over the shop and comes up wind speed error

I haven't looked at "wind speed" before and the attached are, I think, the plots for what winds the drone thinks it was encountering, its height and the VPS height. Bear in mind this is the first time I have plotted stuff other than motor speeds from the DAT so I am not certian I have chosen correctly ........BUT....... they do suggest that the drone was not "literally right in front of me" for the flight recorded by these logs and the PhantomHelp page suggests you flew out to over 500ft away.
Did you post the wrong logs?

Oddly, going by the PH page from 2.59ish to 3.15 the drone seems to climb from 38ft to 83ftish without an appropriate stick command

Attachments

• wind speed 2.png
    wind speed 2.png
    131.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:
it’s so strange cause it comes up a lot on my screen high wind speed error all the time and vibrating, do you think there an imu fault or should I try downgrading the software see if it fixes the issues it’s so frustrating just want it to work correctly

thanks for looking at the logs, I work in metres rather then feet, but I’m sure I didn’t go 500ft away

Does the map on the PH page match your flight?
I wouldn't start changing stuff until someone better than me weighs in but the following chart is, I think, your height (red) vs throttle (L.green).
The chart seems odd to me, in a climb or descent I would expect to see an "n" or "u" shape in the throttle plot, as pointed to by the black arrow, not the solid bands of colour pointed to by the red arrow. The latter suggest to me that the throttle is in 'persistant motion', which I think is unlikely. Plus there is the unexplained climb at the star of the 3rd minute.

Attachments

• throttle vs height.png
    throttle vs height.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 16
You can see what that flight data looks like here:

A number of times when you left the drone hovering and the pitch angle was around 11-15 degrees for the whole time.
That shows that there was wind and the drone was working to counter it.

At around 13 minutes your Mini is having trouble maintaining altitude and drifting up and down without corresponding joystick inputs and failing to respond to throttle input to correct altitude.
13:40.3 is an example of this when you pushed the left stick up and the Mini just descended.
This was a common problem with the Mini early on and a later firmware update (1.0.5) fixed the problem.
What firmware version do you have on the Mini?

I work in metres rather then feet, but I’m sure I didn’t go 500ft away
From 10:28.4 - 11:0.4 your drone was >500 ft from the home point.
You had 18 sats connected at the time and GPS health was 5/5.
The distance would be accurate.

This is a very interesting fault that I have never see before.

At 19m 7.6s, the craft was hovering close to the home point at at a height of 22 ft. The craft was tilting downward ( nose down ) suggesting that wind was coming from the east :

19m7.6s.JPG

Then the craft was turned around by 180 deg and kept hovering at about the same height. If there was really an easterly wind, it should have tilted upward ( nose up ) to counteract but that did not happen. It kept tilting downward :

19m42s.JPG

As the flight controller saw that the craft needed to tilt to hold it's position, it was led to believe that there was wind hence the strong wind warning.

1607561966698.png

However, it's clear that the tilting was due to sensor error. Could be the accelerometer or the gyro. Will need some more time to check out which one has gone wrong.

Meanwhile, it may be worthwhile to try calibrating the IMU to see if it helps.

Last edited:
Here is what the flight controller led to believe during the time period mentioned in my post ( #12 ) above :

The average wind speed detected was around 7 m/s or or 25 km/hr so it was on the strong side for Mini. Furthermore, as the craft turned, the perceived wind direction changed at the same time from 108 deg ( about east ) to -90 deg ( west ). This further confirms that related sensor outputs are erroneous.

1607586072726.png

I tend to believe that it was caused by the bias in the X-axis accelerometer output as it was showing the same negative value ( around -0.2 ) throughout this period :
1607586828856.png

A bias of the same magnitude was seen prior to taking off. Notice that there was no such bias in the Y-axis accelerometer. The purpose of IMU calibration is to remove such bias so I would suggest you to try it out.

1607587089486.png

Last edited:
Here is what the flight controller led to believe during the time period mentioned in my post ( #12 ) above :

The average wind speed detected was around 7 m/s or or 25 km/hr so it was on the strong side for Mini. Furthermore, as the craft turned, the perceived wind direction changed at the same time from 108 deg ( about east ) to -90 deg ( west ). This further confirms that related sensor outputs are erroneous.

View attachment 118943

I tend to believe that it was caused by the bias in the X-axis accelerometer output as it was showing the same negative value ( around -0.2 ) throughout this period :
View attachment 118944

A bias of the same magnitude was seen prior to taking off. Notice that there was no such bias in the Y-axis accelerometer. The purpose of IMU calibration is to remove such bias so I would suggest you to try it out.

View attachment 118945
I agree. You probably meant to say that it was the X axis (not the Y axis) accelerometer that was biased? I'm surprised that the MM did as well as it did.

The X axis accelerometer bias was the reason the wind calcs were incorrect. Those calcs show that the MM was always facing into the wind.
1607612702375.png
The tilt inclination shows the 12° bias.

@Ryanmini you made the comment that previous flights show wind warnings as well. Probably because the X axis accelerometer bias existed for those flight. It'll be interesting to see if an IMU calibration fixes this. I'd be surprised if it did.

I suspect that if we thought about it hard enough we could explain how a biased accelerometer could cause the uncommanded altitude excursions.

Reactions: boblui
It'll be interesting to see if an IMU calibration fixes this. I'd be surprised if it did.

My understanding has been that in IMU calibration, the output of the accelerometer subject to gravity pull is set to 1 ( or -1 ) and the others to zero so theoretically the bias of the X-axis accelerometer should be removed. no ?

Last edited:
In the DAT log csv I find 7 columns with titles that contain the word "tilt"
1) IMU_ATTI(0):tiltInclination:C .............which I guess is the overall angle of tilt irrespective of direction.
2) IMU_ATTI(0):tiltDirectionBodyFrame:C .......which I guess it the direction of greatest tilt with respect to possibly the fore aft line
for a randomly chosen line I see the following values for the next four tilts
3) CtrlAllocation:raw_tilt_x -10.374107
4) CtrlAllocation:raw_tilt_y 13.112455
5) CtrlAllocation:fix_tilt_x -5.0767117
6) CtrlAllocation:fix_tilt_y 6.4167595

7) CtrlAllocation:tilt_scale .............I haven't a clue about

I assume "x" refers to the fore aft direction (pitch) and "y" the side to side (roll). are my guesses etc. correct?

I am curious why 5) is approximately half 3) and why 6) is approximatley half 4)? (in other places the pairings seem equal to one another)

I have just had a look at one of my logs and 5) & 3) are consistantly fairly equal as are 4) & 6).

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding has been that in IMU calibration, the output of the accelerometer subject to gravity pull is set to 1 ( or -1 ) and the others to zero so theoretically the bias of the X-axis accelerometer should be removed. no ?
I don't actually know what the IMU calibration accomplishes. Maybe my view that a calibration won't fix this is a sublimated form of confirmation bias. I've not seen a case where there is compelling evidence that a calibration fixed a problem. This is the first time I've seen an accelerometer bias this large. It's be interesting to see if that bias is removed or reduced.

About 4 years ago I did some experiments with my P3A. At the time many people thought an absolutely level surface was required for calibration. In my experiments the calibration was performed on a surface that was 5° off level. The subsequent flight tests did not show any drifting or erratic flight. With present day Mavics it's hard to even know what an absolutely level orientation would be.

Some accelerometer bias shouldn't be a problem. E.g., hovering isn't achieved by getting the X and Y accelerometers to show 0.0. The present flight illustrates this. Not withstanding the wind calcs problem there was no drifting, erratic flight, etc. The uncommanded altitude changes are a bit suspicious though.

It's possible that a calibration determines the noise profile of the accelerometers. Knowing this could be used to set the gains in the Kalman filters being used by the Flight Controller.
In the DAT log csv I find 7 columns with titles that contain the word "tilt"
1) IMU_ATTI(0):tiltInclination:C .............which I guess is the overall angle of tilt irrespective of direction.
2) IMU_ATTI(0):tiltDirectionBodyFrame:C .......which I guess it the direction of greatest tilt with respect to possibly the fore aft line
for a randomly chosen line I see the following values for the next four tilts
3) CtrlAllocation:raw_tilt_x -10.374107
4) CtrlAllocation:raw_tilt_y 13.112455
5) CtrlAllocation:fix_tilt_x -5.0767117
6) CtrlAllocation:fix_tilt_y 6.4167595

7) CtrlAllocation:tilt_scale .............I haven't a clue about

I assume "x" refers to the fore aft direction (pitch) and "y" the side to side (roll). are my guesses etc. correct?

I am curious why 5) is approximately half 3) and why 6) is approximatley half 4)? (in other places the pairings seem equal to one another)

I have just had a look at one of my logs and 5) & 3) are consistantly fairly equal as are 4) & 6).
I looked at the CtrlAllocation data back when the MM uncommanded descent was a hot issue. Check out
Mavic Mini uncommanded descent tests

Fix_tilt_x = raw_tilt_x * tilt_scale. Normally, tilt_scale is 1.0. My theory is that it gets set lower when the FC decides that lateral movement should have a lower priority than altitude control.

The same can be said for raw_tors, fix_tors and tors_limit_scale.

Raw_lift and fix_lift are a little different. The bound_max and bound_min seem to be somehow related differences between raw_lift and fix_lift but that's as far as I got. There is no lift_scale. But, DatCon computes a lift_diff (which really should have a :C suffix).

The IMU:tilt data are computed by DatCon - note the :C suffix on those data.

Last edited:
I too felt the same way about IMU calibration. Doesn't have to be perfectly level, and for the Mavic with sideways orientation, what's level? Reducing noise seems to be the answer, since if I use my hand to keep the sideways orientation and I'm not steady, it takes longer to say OK.

My Syma seemed to be affected if I calibrated/launched at a tilt. Often needed to in order to boost slow forward response.

I’ve done a imu calibration and still having errors, another thing is my MM only does 7 metres a second in sport mode surely this isn’t right? My buddy has a mini brand new and it does 13 metres a second in sport mode so not sure what’s happening

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998