DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Simulator for a DJI Drone, looking for suggestions...

Bussty

Reactions
Site
andrewbusst.wixsite.com
I see DJI have released a flight simulator for most of their drones, but not having a DJI Drone (or Controller more importantly) I can't really use it. I can use keyboard but it feels like you need a super fast PC to make that thing run.

So I have looked around and found Quadcopter FX Simulator for Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Creativeworld.QuadcopterFX&hl=en

From what I can gather you can configure it to behave like a DJI Mavic or Phantom and from what I know about the Mavic seems to have a fairly "real world" physics engine.

I just thought it would be good to get some practice in while I decide which drone to buy.

Does anybody have any experience with this simulator or advice about a better one?

Many thanks

I think you are too apprehensive about actually "flying", all DJI products are fairly well made and semi-automated, so it is decision of purpose and budget. Once you sort that out you can be in the air in no time. Just read manual and follow advice for the safe start and perhaps do some simulator training if you will, but open field with fluffy grass on fair day with no wind will do the trick. PC simulator without controller is useless, ...if you really want get $30 drone from Wallmart, remote works the same way - 2 joysticks and have some fun...

Not sure I concur, two days ago I wouldn't have had a clue how to fly a drone, I have now worked out out I can just plug an xbox controller into my android phone and game on. Just getting used to the controls etc is great. You can get in panicky situations and do the wrong thing and crash. But you learn, try it again and next time you don't push the right stick up thinking that will raise the drone. I'm actually really impressed. No substitute for the real thing of course and I know when I do buy the MP2 or Phantom 5 I will start off in a big wide field but at least I won't be a stunned mullet and by then will have actually been able to practice a tonne of filming techniques and placement of the drone hopefully to a reasonable degree. I guess we will have to wait and see and I can report back if the simulator helped or not. Cheers

For me, I think the hardest part is when flying back toward me and remembering which way to turn the drone. Same with left and right. The forward/back and up/down seem to remain natural.

For me, I think the hardest part is when flying back toward me and remembering which way to turn the drone. Same with left and right. The forward/back and up/down seem to remain natural.

When it’s facing you, turn the rudder stick in the same direction you want the wing to tip up- from my old RC days, but it works here too.

Reactions: Bussty
I would suggest picking up a toy drone to fly around the house. That's what I did and it's actually quite fun as well. Both of these have cameras (don't expect much) and come with controllers. Each get about 7 minutes of flight on a charge. The larger one has replaceable batteries... Both have an app and can use a smartphone. They have altitude hold but no gps so they will drift (more of a challenge).

I got a Metakoo M2 which is currently unavailable on Amazon.
The M1 is virtually the same except fully protected props. https://www.amazon.com/Beginners-360°Full-Protection-Altitude-Functions/dp/B07548F6P7/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1541452588&sr=1-1&keywords=metakoo+m2&dpID=51QkolAzPYL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
It is currently under 17 dollars.

For a slightly larger drone that can be flown outside as well in zero to very light winds, I have the Heliway version, but here is the Metakoo (same drone different name, about half the price).
https://www.amazon.com/Wind-Permeab...rd_wg=evW5A&psc=1&refRID=71577KFCTBYSA0N5NYE2
It is currently 26 dollars.
This one has about 5 levels and is quite fast on the highest one (over 30 mph). I have broke a prop on it, but it does come with spares. Spare props and batteries can be purchased on Amazon. The parts are the same as the "Holy Stone - Bolt Bee".

I'm thinking about having indoor drone races new years eve with the Metakoo M1's...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bussty
I would suggest picking up a toy drone to fly around the house. That's what I did and it's actually quite fun as well. Both of these have cameras (don't expect much) and come with controllers. Each get about 7 minutes of flight on a charge. The larger one has replaceable batteries... Both have an app and can use a smartphone. They have altitude hold but no gps so they will drift (more of a challenge).

I got a Metakoo M2 which is currently unavailable on Amazon.
The M1 is virtually the same except fully protected props. https://www.amazon.com/Beginners-360°Full-Protection-Altitude-Functions/dp/B07548F6P7/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1541452588&sr=1-1&keywords=metakoo+m2&dpID=51QkolAzPYL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
It is currently under 17 dollars.

For a slightly larger drone that can be flown outside as well in zero to very light winds, I have the Heliway version, but here is the Metakoo (same drone different name, about half the price).
https://www.amazon.com/Wind-Permeab...rd_wg=evW5A&psc=1&refRID=71577KFCTBYSA0N5NYE2
It is currently 26 dollars.
This one has about 5 levels and is quite fast on the highest one (over 30 mph). I have broke a prop on it, but it does come with spares. Spare props and batteries can be purchased on Amazon. The parts are the same as the "Holy Stone - Bolt Bee".

I'm thinking about having indoor drone races new years eve with the Metakoo M1's...

This sounds like a lot of fun! Thank you :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard