DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Time and Temperature

littlemantjs

Reactions
I got my Mavic Air a few weeks ago and have been really excited to fly it. Recently here in Utah it has been pretty cold. The most flight time I have been able to have is probably 13-14 minutes. Is that just due to the cold or are there other aspects that can cause a lower flight time. And what temps are best for optimal flight time?

It's not rated to work below freezing so keeping your batteries warm is key. How hard you fly it, how much wind it's fighting, and elevation all effect flight time. True operational time though, 15 minutes is pretty close; most people don't burn it down to the wick. You're bringing it back with 15-25% battery right? By default I think the alarm starts going off at %25

Reactions: johnnybflyguy
Ya I think my “low battery” warning comes on at about 30% and then I bring it back. So then the rated 21 minutes is basically prime conditions running it down to almost totally dead?

Ya I think my “low battery” warning comes on at about 30% and then I bring it back. So then the rated 21 minutes is basically prime conditions running it down to almost totally dead?
Sometimes they even cheat and post how long it can HOVER as its flight time. This is obviously misleading, and I'm pretty sure DJI rates them under "normal use". You can bet they're going to post as long a time as they can get away with because flight time is a selling point. It's logical, hard to blame them :)

Also your batteries build strength each charge for the first 10-12 charges. I would suggest on a warm sunny day with little wind, you will have no problem getting 20 + mins.

I am fairly certain my manual said your battery won't achieve full charge until it's 11th charge.
If I am wrong perhaps Mavic help can correct me.

Some folks like to run the LiPo's down to 50 % and then charge back up for the first 10 flights. It is thier claim that this is battery "conditioning"

Some folks like to run the LiPo's down to 50 % and then charge back up for the first 10 flights. It is thier claim that this is battery "conditioning"
This is discussed a lot among race drone pilots. They'll knowingly destroy a pack to get over the finish line, so to them every milliamp counts. I don't think we're hitting our drones up for enough power to make a big difference.

Also your batteries build strength each charge for the first 10-12 charges. I would suggest on a warm sunny day with little wind, you will have no problem getting 20 + mins.

I have been using lipos for years in rc planes and heli’s and have Read up extensively on lipos and have never heard any thing like that.

As far as cycling new lipos, that is a mistakenly held over notion from other types of batteries where it is advisable. Since lipos like other batteries have s finite number of cycles to cycle them unnecessarily actual shortens their useful life a bit.

Reactions: Former Member
I have been using lipos for years in rc planes and heli’s and have Read up extensively on lipos and have never heard any thing like that.

As far as cycling new lipos, that is a mistakenly held over notion from other types of batteries where it is advisable. Since lipos like other batteries have s finite number of cycles to cycle them unnecessarily actual shortens their useful life a bit.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I was not suggesting cycling your batteries, or wasting charges. But I have read "scientific experiments" which claim that your Battery does not reach maximum capacity until it has been charged approx 11 times.
Knowing what I know about batteries that seems to be a reasonable statement. I am not suggesting this knowledge should modify anyone's behavior patterns.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I was not suggesting cycling your batteries, or wasting charges. But I have read "scientific experiments" which claim that your Battery does not reach maximum capacity until it has been charged approx 11 times.
Knowing what I know about batteries that seems to be a reasonable statement. I am not suggesting this knowledge should modify anyone's behavior patterns.
Waiting for that link.

Here is a simple experiment. Buy a brand new drone, fully charge the battery, and see what flight time you get. Then, use a battery that has been cycled 35 or 50 times and see what flight times you get. I can guarantee you 100% without a doubt that the flight times will be within 0.5% of each other.

Here is a simple experiment. Buy a brand new drone, fully charge the battery, and see what flight time you get. Then, use a battery that has been cycled 35 or 50 times and see what flight times you get. I can guarantee you 100% without a doubt that the flight times will be within 0.5% of each other.
Waiting for that link for your experiment

Reactions: Former Member
I clearly experience shorter flying time when it is cold but on the other hand I also want more margins since emergency landings in deep snow will not be a nice thing...
A few minutes shorter when it is -10C is my experience but the batteries are quite new with just a few cycles.
Waiting for the spring now so that I can be outdoor flying, now I mostly fly from home so that I can go in after take off and watch the bird through a window.
A pic from at home over the lake at sunset which is just after sunrise now far north, -15C at the time of the picSunset.jpg.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52