DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flights that require operator to have a Part 107 certificate.

Non-commercial is not necessarily the same as hobby. And it has been enforced by the FAA, for example in the field of volunteer search and rescue. It's unpaid and even described by many participants as a hobby, but the FAA clarified specifically that while non-commercial it is not recreational because it has a purpose beyond flying for fun, and issued cease and desist notices to a number of SAR volunteer organizations. A number of us on this forum have had these discussions directly with the FAA.

Now, whether the FAA is likely to pursue low-profile examples of this kind of thing is another matter entirely, but that wasn't what the question asked. If you want to expand the question then the answer is yes - it's required by law but no - you might not get caught. I'm well aware that many flights take place without Part 107 certification that are not covered by Part 101. If don't like the reasoning - call your FSDO and ask them. Or don't call them if you don't want an answer that you don't like.

I can easily see that your example would put into question the purpose of flying without a 107. S&R might be hard to describe as a hobby or recreation. I'm not trying to bend the rules to apply to a particular flight (I have my 107 certificate) but only trying to distinguish between honest recreation and necessary 107 applications. If your truly flying under the umbrella of hobby or recreation (honestly-not bending the rules and non commercial) even when your with a friend or group (their playing, fishing, surfing, motorcross, skating, skiing etc and YOU are filming that is defined as recreation and not subjuct to 107 requirements.

Just because someone else is performing the "action" and your filming does not exclude it from be recreational on your behalf.

Just get the license, it affords you as the pilot rights and protections also. 80% of the people who take it pass it. I teach it a University in LA and I have had a 100% pass rate of over 200 students this past year. Students range in age from 18 to 80. Then it won't matter who you fly or film for and what you do with your drone.

I can easily see that your example would put into question the purpose of flying without a 107. S&R might be hard to describe as a hobby or recreation. I'm not trying to bend the rules to apply to a particular flight (I have my 107 certificate) but only trying to distinguish between honest recreation and necessary 107 applications. If your truly flying under the umbrella of hobby or recreation (honestly-not bending the rules and non commercial) even when your with a friend or group (their playing, fishing, surfing, motorcross, skating, skiing etc and YOU are filming that is defined as recreation and not subjuct to 107 requirements.

Just because someone else is performing the "action" and your filming does not exclude it from be recreational on your behalf.

Sure - you can certainly find scenarios that really do enter a grey area between the two. Videoing your friends doing any of those activities could certainly be recreational - I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. The FAA has indicated that the line is crossed if your vide/photography, itself, is for other than recreation.

Reactions: BigAl07
Sure - you can certainly find scenarios that really do enter a grey area between the two. Videoing your friends doing any of those activities could certainly be recreational - I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. The FAA has indicated that the line is crossed if your vide/photography, itself, is for other than recreation.

Thank you. We are on the same page. I would not be surprised if the FAA soon clears these types of questions up. It could certainly be more clearly defined.

Just get the license, it affords you as the pilot rights and protections also. 80% of the people who take it pass it. I teach it a University in LA and I have had a 100% pass rate of over 200 students this past year. Students range in age from 18 to 80. Then it won't matter who you fly or film for and what you do with your drone.

I have a 107 certificate. I have an international energy infrastructure consulting and inspection business that I sometimes utilize a drone for aerial inspections. My questions were in regard to when I'm playing not working and just a clear understanding of the regulations.

Personally I wouldn’t worry about it in those situations. It’s friends and you’re just having fun helping them out. I’m pretty sure the FAA isn’t going to hunt you down. [emoji16]
You have that right. We are drowning in rules that seem to change every week!
There have been more people killed or hurt by private and commercial pilot actions than drones.
By what you read online you think there are FAA investigators around every tree.
Go to State Farm Insurance and get some insurance. It will cover repairs and replacement of your drove and give you liability coverage too. I have heard this only cost around $ 60.00 per year.
Use common sense when flying your drone. Don't do anything stupid. Self-Policing is the best thing we have going.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka