DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Float

Jackcox98

Reactions
Planning on flying over large amount of water. Wondering does anyone know of some sort of float I can get to prevent my drone from sinking if the unthinkable happens and it does decide to drop right over the ocean..Atleast if I have it physically my care refresh will cover it

Reactions: Drabschy
Floats will effect the drone a lot more than most people think.
Do some search button work to gather info on that subject.
Me........ I’m not using them.

Not too keen either on attaching things that aren’t meant to be there..Any other suggestions then on how to prevent it from dropping into the water

Planning on flying over large amount of water. Wondering does anyone know of some sort of float I can get to prevent my drone from sinking if the unthinkable happens and it does decide to drop right over the ocean..Atleast if I have it physically my care refresh will cover it
We made the Mini 2 Rain and Rescue Package for landing on the Water .

The Mini 2 Rescue Jacket is awesome as its a very small stream lined Rescue Jacket designed to keep performance in flight and surprisingly stable on the water.

Here it is in action. ; and of course plenty of Rain videos to go with that.
The Forum Members get a nice Discount on the Rain and Rescue Package.

and we know it rain in Ireland so that threat is always looming close by.

Email me at [email protected]

Last edited:
Reactions: A.O.
Just be careful and plan what your flights are going to be.
Altitude is your buddy. Trust your equipment.

Anything extra attached to a Mini 1 spells disaster ... it's way to weak & extra equipment on that drone will rather make the unthinkable happen.

Furthermore ... the Mini 1 will likely go into payload mode as soon as you strap thing's on it.

Reading material. One of several.

One more.

The Mini 1 is a train wreck but there were some updates that made it better.

but some people use the Rescue Jackets with no problem with payload by starting the drone
and than landing , turning it back on and applying the Rescue Jacket, its a work around for the mini 1, its tiny very

Just get the Mini 2 and you are set up nicely.

screenshot_10.png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

Last edited:

They sell a fishing pole retrieval device called getterback which looks pretty cool. A member on here makes floats for drones that many people seem to like.

Personally I fly over the open ocean all the time with none of this. Hundreds of miles at this point. Always fly into the wind and you will always make it back is my motto! Good luck.

For flying over water I cut a small piece of closed cell foam that attaches to the top with velcro. Didn't make it so the Mini would stay dry, but just big enough to hold 250 grams on the surface for recovery so it doesn't go down to Davy Jones' locker. I have an unreasonable and indescribable phobia of crashing my drone in the water.

Reactions: JackL
I'm new to the mini and live on a large lake. I flew it over the lake this winter as I could walk the ice to get it if I had to. But, this summer I'll be apprehensive to do that. I often thought. At the low mass of the mini, seems it wouldn't take much to keep it from sinking. Some 1/8" skin along the bottom of some buoyant material. It would be nice if it floated safely and be able to be used again, but I think that is asking for other issues what would be caused by this. Heck it might make it less stable and you'd go in the drink because of it. But, a minimalistic attachment that would have a minimal flight impact yet keep the thing recoverable. Glue a square of bubble wrap on the back or bottom!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent