DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Floats on MA2

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions
Just wondering folks, as I seem to be flying over bodies of water lately, out of earshot of potential drone police, I am thinking of fitting attachable floats to my MA2.
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with these, would recommend any particular type and how do they affect flying characteristics and flying time etc.
I have no desire to actually land on the water, I am just looking to recover my bird intact should it go in the drink for some
unforeseen reason - bird strike etc

I would recommend checking out phantomrain.org. There was a demonstration video of landing on a lake with one of their wet suits. Don't know what they were using for floats so you would have to check with them, but their wetsuit would be necessary to survive an unintentional water landing.

I would recommend checking out phantomrain.org. There was a demonstration video of landing on a lake with one of their wet suits. Don't know what they were using for floats so you would have to check with them, but their wetsuit would be necessary to survive an unintentional water landing.
Will do thanks for that

Will do thanks for that
I've got the WetSuit and Rescue Jacket.

The WetSuit will allow you to fly in the rain, but the Rescue Jacket is made specifically for water landing and take off.

Super stoked with my purchase, and he's a super cool guy to deal with.

He is here on the forums and you can PM him by clicking this --> @Phantomrain.org

There is a form member discount too. Different colors to choose from, but here's mine.

Her name is Poison Ivy...

20200726_133055.jpg
20200726_133230.jpg

would recommend any particular type and how do they affect flying characteristics and flying time etc.
I have no desire to actually land on the water, I am just looking to recover my bird intact should it go in the drink
Those floatie contraptions are very popular with timid new flyers.
It's very hard to find anyone willing to give data on on how much they affect flight performance.
But it's obvious just looking at them, that the effect must be significant, given the increased wind resistance and weight.
I fly over water almost all the time and there's no way I'd ever handicap my drone with one of those.
I'd much rather that my drone was able to use all its speed potential to deal with wind.
Floats are only going to assist in recovery of a downed drone if it's close to shore and you have a boat available.
I think it's likely that floats are more likely to contribute to the loss of a drone than enhance flight safety.

It's very hard to find anyone willing to give data on on how much they affect flight performance.
But it's obvious just looking at them, that the effect must be significant, given the increased wind resistance and weight.
I fly over water almost all the time and there's no way I'd ever handicap my drone with one of those.
I'd much rather that my drone was able to use all its speed potential to deal with wind.
Floats are only going to assist in recovery of a downed drone if it's close to shore and you have a boat available.
I think it's likely that floats are more likely to contribute to the loss of a drone than enhance flight safety.
Long range flight that would be unrecoverable anyway, sure, no floats...

Flying over a river that's 200 feet wide with heavy boat traffic... I'll take a life preserver. DJI Care Refresh requires the hull, and State Farm will usually only replace it once.

Less flight time is okay, just don't be crazy with your maneuvers and all should be well... but fly with confidence knowing if the unthinkable happens, you're unsinkable.

Getterbacks work, but are known to fail.

Just my 2 cents

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx

Rescue Jackets : Although not designed for Long Distance flights , provides a Visual Line of Sight up to 2800 ft in the day light.

Rescue Jackets : There used for Remote Landing on the Water to Conserve Battery until an event takes place

Rescue Jackets: Allows you to secure your Footage over the Water for important and expensive Jobs.

Rescue Jackets : Boaters have found Rescue Jackets invaluable when there out on the water trying to land as they Enhance Safety.

Its just a tool with a low center of gravity, that allows you to Minimize Risk and we have sold hundreds of them ,
No one has ever made note , that they have lost there drone do to the Rescue Jacket in the last 3 years we have been selling them.

When you look at other designs , ours stands out as one of the very best ,
and as reported the only other alternative to Floating is the Getterback which we can tell you first hand have failed not once but twice. in the same month.

Lost two Phantom 4 Pros in the lake it one of the Reasons why we designed the concept of the Rescue Jackets :)

Email me at [email protected]
for the Forum Discount Package if interested includes the Wet Suit.

Screenshot 07-25-2020 20.17.43.jpg

I've got the WetSuit and Rescue Jacket.

The WetSuit will allow you to fly in the rain, but the Rescue Jacket is made specifically for water landing and take off.

Super stoked with my purchase, and he's a super cool guy to deal with.

He is here on the forums and you can PM him by clicking this --> @Phantomrain.org

There is a form member discount too. Different colors to choose from, but here's mine.

Her name is Poison Ivy...

View attachment 109554
View attachment 109555
Looking sharp!

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
May I suggest you research drone-retriever. com

They are 3 products for flotation all of which we have purchased.: both the getterbacks. and the pontoons and the Drone - Retriever Air bag.

We lost 2 phantoms 4 in the lake with the Getterbacks
We use to fly with 1 and than after loosing the first phantom we switched to two of them , they both failed .

We tried the Pontoons but were just to big , flipped over and prone to catching the wind because of there size and weighed almost 9 ounces much more when Wet.

There flag ship model is based on the Getterback idea so we passed on that .
This is why we created the Rescue jackets. Flawless in engagement , Lighter in Weight and less damage to your drone with the ability to Remote Land.

If you purchase a Wet Suit there $74.95 and keep in mind the RESCUE JACKET extend the the Visual Line of Sight up to 2800 Ft , how cool is that and there Lighter than the Pontoons. ;)

We would put a lot of thought in how to keep the Rescue Jackets light and streamline and functional on the water:

Phantomrain.org

Screenshot 07-25-2020 20.17.43.jpg

Screenshot 08-08-2020 12.19.28.jpg

WE LOST 2 PHANTOM 4 IN THE LAKE ------------------------ ----------------- BIG BULKY , HEAVY AND USELESS ON THE WATER. 8 oucnes ---------------- Part of the GETTERBACK SYSTEM, ---- No Go --- No Remote Landing ---- Bulky and terrible Drag .

Screenshot 08-04-2020 22.56.29.jpg

Last edited:
A little truth here. drone-retriever. com. only sells 1 product. It is an inflatable life vest for drones. No giant floats (sails) of any kind.

A little truth here. drone-retriever. com. only sells 1 product. It is an inflatable life vest for drones. No giant floats (sails) of any kind.

Sure : Found that picture at the bottom of there Web Page :

There showing the competition.
Screenshot 08-08-2020 15.22.14.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas