DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Florida fliers: Don't publicly post aerial pictures or videos of others' private property

Better call Saul!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

They need to prove without any shadow of doubt that you where actually conducting surveillance. If you took a video once while travelling from point a to point b, i dont see how anyone could felt offended.
But if you are flying 3 or more times a week and always taking picture and video or monitoring somone activity well that is clearly an invasion of privacy.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

F.A.C. 62D-2.014 (Activities and Recreation)

(15) Aircraft. No person operating or responsible for any aircraft, glider, balloon, parachute, or other aerial apparatus shall cause such an apparatus to take off from or land in any park except in an emergency when human life is endangered or where a designated landing facility may exist on park property.
Thanks, what a load of BS, IMHO!

Reactions: klangford
F.A.C. 62D-2.014 (Activities and Recreation)

(15) Aircraft. No person operating or responsible for any aircraft, glider, balloon, parachute, or other aerial apparatus shall cause such an apparatus to take off from or land in any park except in an emergency when human life is endangered or where a designated landing facility may exist on park property.

Interesting so I can take off and land near the park nice !!!!

Reactions: klangford
They need to prove without any shadow of doubt that you where actually conducting surveillance. If you took a video once while travelling from point a to point b, i dont see how anyone could felt offended.
But if you are flying 3 or more times a week and always taking picture and video or monitoring somone activity well that is clearly an invasion of privacy.

If you get caught just hit format in the go app to clear you card and delete the video off of your phone. No evidence not case.

Reactions: RobP62 and frankiez

Yep spying/surveillance would be difficult to prove unless they uncovered your library of flyovers with dates times and log entries. That wouldn't stop TVs favourite criminal, lawyer.... "Seen a drone fly over your property, they must be filming your kids. Get the cash settlement you deserve. Better Call Saul. Saul Goodman attorney at law."

Reactions: frankiez
And that's why the title of this thread is "Don't publicly post aerial pics or videos"... It's one thing to zip around your hood, but if you then take those videos and put them on YT or a web page, and you have a cranky neighbor, the stage is set for fireworks.

I wouldn't think so. And even if you were taking photos/video, it would be up to the 'victim' to be able to prove that a) you were recording their property/being, and b) they suffered some form of injury as a result. I may be way off base, but that's how I read it.
Agree.

If you get caught just hit format in the go app to clear you card and delete the video off of your phone. No evidence not case.

Evidence of formatting a media device, after a person becomes aware of an investigation into illegal conduct, is likely to make things worse, not better. Maybe you're joking, maybe you're not... the law isn't a little game to see how creative you can work around it.

I was gonna fly my Mavic in a fairly new development here in SW FL and was flying near the clubhouse in this development. Along with the clubhouse there is a pool, tennis courts, basketball courts and of course a playground. As I was up in the air, a couple ladies walked by with their dogs. They saw the drone up in the air and immediately one of them asked me if I was filming. As all of us have probably done, I had forgotten to hit the RECORD button on my phone. I answered her NO. She was relieved and stated that she was glad cuz they had a "problem" with someone flying a drone and "filming the children". I assured her I was not and that I would be happy to land the drone.

Just makes you realize the possible trouble you can get yourself into.

sent from my Galaxy Note4

I was gonna fly my Mavic in a fairly new development here in SW FL and was flying near the clubhouse in this development. Along with the clubhouse there is a pool, tennis courts, basketball courts and of course a playground. As I was up in the air, a couple ladies walked by with their dogs. They saw the drone up in the air and immediately one of them asked me if I was filming. As all of us have probably done, I had forgotten to hit the RECORD button on my phone. I answered her NO. She was relieved and stated that she was glad cuz they had a "problem" with someone flying a drone and "filming the children". I assured her I was not and that I would be happy to land the drone.

Just makes you realize the possible trouble you can get yourself into.

sent from my Galaxy Note4

Exactly. It is my contention that the 'creepiness' of a drone with a camera is far more abhorrent to the public than the 'safety' of the people on the ground. It's why total strangers flip out, get aggressive, and even threaten operators. Not because their afraid of getting struck by a falling drone, but because you could be 'peeping' on them or their kids.

Just remember, if one of your neighbors sees their house/backyard on a YT video you post, that same irrationality will drive them to hire a "free unless you win" lawyer. And the jury box will be filled with your peers suffering from the same irrational media-induced hysteria.

Reactions: frankiez
Evidence of formatting a media device, after a person becomes aware of an investigation into illegal conduct, is likely to make things worse, not better. Maybe you're joking, maybe you're not... the law isn't a little game to see how creative you can work around it.
You are right, and I didn't intend to be so flippant but you highlight the problem, "illegal conduct". Is that how it is interpreted by you or the person making the allegation?

There are so many gray areas in our sport at present that it is difficult for those of us who try to follow changes to keep up and local law enforcement usually don't have a clue. So unless you live in a rural area you are going to fly over someone's property.

In erkme73's post he mentions the "free unless you win" lawyer, do you really want to have your drone sitting in an evidence locker while some shyster lawyer takes you to court. Just like about everything in the world anymore, there are no easy answers.

One solution is to not record while en route to where you want to record but then we wouldn't have those thousands of hours of video of subdivisions from 300 ft to look at on Youtube......

Thanks for calling me out on this.

Reactions: erkme73
I wouldn't think so. And even if you were taking photos/video, it would be up to the 'victim' to be able to prove that a) you were recording their property/being, and b) they suffered some form of injury as a result. I may be way off base, but that's how I read it.

I don't know about you but it may be a 4k camera but there is no way I can "observe such persons with sufficient visual clarity to be able to obtain information about their identity, habits, conduct, movements, or whereabouts."

Uh, I beg to differ.

You do realise that formatting a storage device is not enough to completely remove the contents. It doesn't take a forensic IT detective to get data back either. There are data recovery programs available to complete amateurs.

If you want to permanently get rid of dodgy downloads, you'll need a data shredder. This writes random data over the storage you have "deleted" or formatted. Disclaimer: Even then it is not guaranteed that no data could be recovered.

I can see some of you are now re-evaluating the wisdom of deleting that secret hidden folder on your laptop, you know that one that you named "tax calculations" because the wife never would be interested in opening it, and are googling "data shredder".

Last edited:
You do realise that formatting a storage device is not enough to completely remove the contents. It doesn't take a forensic IT detective to get data back either. There are are data recovery programs available to complete amateurs.

If you want to permanently get rid of dodgy downloads, you'll need a data shredder. This writes random data over the storage you have "deleted" or formatted. Disclaimer: Even then it is not guaranteed that no data could be recovered.

I can see some of you are now re-evaluating the wisdom of deleting that secret hidden folder on your laptop, you know that one that you named "tax calculations" because the wife never would be interested in opening it, and are googling "data shredder".

Or you could just use a cloth, or something (like bleachbit)...

Reactions: HeavensAbove
Or you could just use a cloth, or something (like bleachbit)...

Cloth? Chloroform (sounds bleachy)? Wife? Unsure what you do next that doesn't result in more trouble...

Sorry, lost control on your thread and have spun off tangentially into the abyss ;-)

Top Tip: encrypted USB keys and safety deposit boxes are the way to go. Or bury your hard drive in the garden, possibly not with the wife.

You do realise that formatting a storage device is not enough to completely remove the contents. It doesn't take a forensic IT detective to get data back either. There are data recovery programs available to complete amateurs.

Hey did you hack into my computer, how did you know the file name was "tax calculations"?

Reactions: HeavensAbove
Just FYI. North Carolina has a very similar law.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64