DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly-a-ways, real new-b question

Colorado_scott

Reactions
I don't fully understand what causes a 'fly away' - it's my understanding that if the signal is lost to the drone, or the Tx is turned off, the RTH function takes over and the drone returns home. If this is the case, no one would lose a drone, yet I see many comments on 'fly-a-way' posts. What causes this? Can it be avoided? is it a function of how far away you are flying? If kept in LOS, do fly away's still happen?

Thanks

Reactions: csevengo
90% of the time it's user error. There could be a number of reasons, like
  • not setting RTH settings properly. Let's say there is a 200 feet tall hill between you and the craft, and your RTH altitude is set to 100 feet.
  • not letting home point being set before taking off, or
  • taking off from a location that has huge amount of mag interference.
Other 10% of the times, it could be a buggy aircraft.

If you always keep it within LOS, chances are the aircraft might still lose signal from the RC. and if you've set your RTH settings properly keeping your surroundings in mind, it should come back. There are instances on this forum where the craft ignored all RTH settings and wandered away. Because nothing is perfect. But chances of that are very rare.

I don't fully understand what causes a 'fly away' - it's my understanding that if the signal is lost to the drone, or the Tx is turned off, the RTH function takes over and the drone returns home. If this is the case, no one would lose a drone, yet I see many comments on 'fly-a-way' posts. What causes this? Can it be avoided? is it a function of how far away you are flying? If kept in LOS, do fly away's still happen?

Thanks
I believe a more accurate way to describe some of the "fly away" is "blown away by the wind". If the pilot takes the Mavic into winds that are higher than the top speed or the AC, they may not be able to return even if the drone "knows" where to go.

Reactions: zero1981 and JamesA
it's my understanding that if the signal is lost to the drone, or the Tx is turned off, the RTH function takes over and the drone returns home
Yes, that's of course the best case scenario.

Here are a few other things that can happen:
  • The Mavic could lose GPS (preventing it from locating the home point) and land at its current location
  • The wind could be so strong that the Mavic makes negative progress as it attempts to fly home and eventually lands when the battery reaches the critically low level
  • The battery could reach the critically low level before the Mavic is able to make it back to the home point (causing it to land at its current location)
  • The Mavic could crash into an obstacle on the way back to the home point (if the RTH altitude is not high enough)

These are interesting scenarios and it seems to me most are preventable if the pilot just THINKS. Personally I would not fly out of LOS as I’d be real worried I’d never see my investment again. But that’s me. Thanks for the comments.

These are interesting scenarios and it seems to me most are preventable if the pilot just THINKS. Personally I would not fly out of LOS as I’d be real worried I’d never see my investment again. But that’s me. Thanks for the comments.
the cure is to buy a spare;)

If you read enough posts, it sounds like these things have a mind of their own sometimes....

Yes, a reason for the post in the first place. The "helpful comments"... "just buy a second one" are interesting.. good solution (NOT!)..., but suppose no real helpful info from some people.

Yes, a reason for the post in the first place. The "helpful comments"... "just buy a second one" are interesting.. good solution (NOT!)..., but suppose no real helpful info from some people.
your question was fully answered by other members,i was just being humorous,sorry if it touched a nerve

I guess we would assume most fly aways are pilot error; strong winds, settings wrong, etc. Although there is always a question of device error.

Although there is always a question of device error.
Surely. That's why it's important to review the flight log to figure out what happened.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
The first thing to happen before a lost drone is the pilot feeling uncomfortable, so whatever keeps you comfortable while flying is a good idea, I agree that VLOS makes me more comfortable.

Take dbyantis advice. Small steps. Start in a open area n learn to fly. You'll love every minute

Thanks
I have never experienced anything like this with the mavic pro. I had to return two Bebop 2's due to fly-aways and loss of power. My first I had for a week before it would just drop out of the sky. The second had firmware issues and to my horror I watched it do all kinds of crazy things and then flew sideways until the battery went dead. The entire time I had signal and gps. I was lucky and able to retrieve the Lil guy. I jumped in my car and chased it through the desert.

I was told by parrot that the compass firmware was bad and it did not apply correctly. I think the compass is the problem on true fly-aways for dji products as well.

The first thing to happen before a lost drone is the pilot feeling uncomfortable, so whatever keeps you comfortable while flying is a good idea, I agree that VLOS makes me more comfortable.
Very wise. And responsible.

FWIW, I've got a Marco Polo tracking tag on mine. Under the theory that if you're prepared, the thing you prepared for is made much less likely to happen.

I'm sure we'll all agree that flying without checking the incoming weather and going forth in marginal winds is pilot error by another name. ;-).

I would [emoji90] a brick if I had my drone flyaway. It’s a sinking feeling thinking about the damage it could cause darting off or falling uncontrolled into something or someone. I agree that most flyaways are user error/induced. Wait for GPS lock, verify location of craft on map are basic musts.

Make sure RTH is set and recorded correctly, take it to an open field, and test it. While flying, press the RTH button and watch it function. While flying, turn off the RC and see what happens. I was able to relax and enjoy flying after testing a few times.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird