DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FLY AWAY FOUND IN PERFECT CONDITION

rewizard

Reactions
Just an update on how not to give up if you have a fly away..... I took off from an area before I had home point established. When I realized it, after it reached an altitude of approximately 250 feet, I started to reset home point BUT the drone just took off leaving me with no control at all. I have been flying drones for 6 years and never had an issue like this. I watched it fly towards a Condominium nearby and could not get it to respond but once it disappeared from view the camera showed it upside down on a balcony. I judged that it was between the 24th and 26 floor. As I am a Realtor I did research and discovered that 2406 was on the market and it was one of the possible balconies. I called the Realtor and he said he was about to show the property and would check. Low and behold he called me and he had the drone. I had to then cancel my replacement from Cloud City as well as skins and SD Micro. A lesson well learned.... Don't give up and ALWAYS have good satellite connection before takeoff. The drone was in absolutely perfect condition with the props showing some scuffing. Before replacing I took off inside and it responded perfectly. I still replaced the props.

Just an update on how not to give up if you have a fly away..... I took off from an area before I had home point established. When I realized it, after it reached an altitude of approximately 250 feet, I started to reset home point BUT the drone just took off leaving me with no control at all. I have been flying drones for 6 years and never had an issue like this. I watched it fly towards a Condominium nearby and could not get it to respond but once it disappeared from view the camera showed it upside down on a balcony. I judged that it was between the 24th and 26 floor. As I am a Realtor I did research and discovered that 2406 was on the market and it was one of the possible balconies. I called the Realtor and he said he was about to show the property and would check. Low and behold he called me and he had the drone. I had to then cancel my replacement from Cloud City as well as skins and SD Micro. A lesson well learned.... Don't give up and ALWAYS have good satellite connection before takeoff. The drone was in absolutely perfect condition with the props showing some scuffing. Before replacing I took off inside and it responded perfectly. I still replaced the props.
Nice work. You have very good fortune. Great news!

Hi Droniac,

You mentioned:
....."A lesson well learned.... Don't give up and ALWAYS have good satellite connection before takeoff"

Do you recall how many satellites you connected?
vjpapa

Reactions: Droniac
I took off from an area before I had home point established. When I realized it, after it reached an altitude of approximately 250 feet, I started to reset home point BUT the drone just took off leaving me with no control at all.
It's not possible to guess what actually happened from this description.
Resetting the homepoint cannot cause the drone to zoom off uncontrolled, so something else must have been the issue.
The cause of the incident is likely to be found in the recorded flight data and it would be of interest to all flyers to help avoid a similar incident in future.
If you could post the flight data someone will be able to interpret it and possibly solve the mystery.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you (even if it looks like a nothing report).
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Glad to here you had a good outcome. Thanks for sharing. Fly smart and stay safe.

Reactions: Droniac
I tried to look at log for that day BUT it is gibberish. Looks like code of some kind. Can it be converted to something readable?
It's because the log is encrypted ... you can't just double click on the .TXT file.

You either upload the log to various web based services like:
Drone Data Management and Flight Analysis | Airdata UAV
or
DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

...they have a graphical interface that let you replay the flight & make you understand what happened...

Or you use other 3:rd party programs directly on your computer to decrypt & help you with the interpretation of the content in them.

You can also just attach the .TXT log in a new post here in this thread ... & someone here will assist you.

Glad it turned out well for you. You we’re fortunate in many ways.

Always mark your drone! They nearly always return home. Maybe a little beat up but with a phone # you will get a call. I offer a reward as well. From experience, it WORKS
I do the same. Reasonable, simple and well worth the sticker :/

...the log shows a 32 second flight time. 1. Coordinates not available.2. Power 25.59 min, Max height 145.5, Controls: Not enough data That's it
You haven't revealed which drone model you have, but ... in general it's way much more data in the .TXT log than that. Furthermore you also have another log ending with .DAT in the screen device you flew with, showing all the raw sensor & motor data.

From your description, that it just uncontrollably flew away up on 250ft indicate a totally different cause than that you just took off without a recorded HP.

If you want to know what likely happened so you can avoid the same mishap in the future & at the same time offer some good learning to others here at the forum... we gladly give it a try, but then you need to share your logs.

I do the same. Reasonable, simple and well worth the sticker :/
Agreed. I purchased a set of stickers from tagmydrone.com that have adhered well (no financial interest in the company)- low cost but can save big $$$ when your drone wants to play hid and seek.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78