DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly Away Warranty

EDIT

Ahhhh answered as I was typing
Even going blind in one eye (Going to the doc to get it figured out this week) and disabled motor skills, I type 80 WPM :p And to be honest I took her up and flew a few batts today and darn near lost it in the sky even at about 300 meters...display showed me where it was, yawed and flew home. :)

Last edited:
I just got an email from DJI promoting Fly Away coverage. In the last month I purchased a DJI Mini 2, a Mavic Air 2 and an OM4. I like DJI products. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed at the pricing on the fly away insurance. I thought I had that when I paid for the DJI Care. It seems strange to me to ask for what is likely more than the cost of production for a replacement drone as insurance if it flies off on you. Maybe I'm wrong, but if something flies off on you isn't that an actual flaw in the product?

I know it's cliche and doesn't really apply, but using the car analogy. If I buy a car and the dealer says "oh, by the way, your car might inexplicably drive off on its own one day, but don't worry we have insurance for that." Seems weird. Especially when that insurance is half the price of the car.

I know I may be oversimplifying this, but isn't the logic sound? Am I missing something?

T.
With DJI you need to recover the drone, this new fly away coverage you don't. If you put it in a lake or tree. This is still covering pilot error. DJI will cover you if the fly away is drones fault, which it rarely is.

I just got an email from DJI promoting Fly Away coverage. In the last month I purchased a DJI Mini 2, a Mavic Air 2 and an OM4. I like DJI products. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed at the pricing on the fly away insurance. I thought I had that when I paid for the DJI Care. It seems strange to me to ask for what is likely more than the cost of production for a replacement drone as insurance if it flies off on you. Maybe I'm wrong, but if something flies off on you isn't that an actual flaw in the product?

I know it's cliche and doesn't really apply, but using the car analogy. If I buy a car and the dealer says "oh, by the way, your car might inexplicably drive off on its own one day, but don't worry we have insurance for that." Seems weird. Especially when that insurance is half the price of the car.

I know I may be oversimplifying this, but isn't the logic sound? Am I missing something?

T.
I purchased a Mini 2 9 days ago. After thinking about it a while, I purchased the Care Fresh yesterday (since I had not turned the Mini 2 on yet, I believe the 48 hour clock had not started yet). Insurance is like legalized gambling. And while I am not a risky flyer at all, for me $49 was worth the piece of mind. Now, at the end of a year as DJI puts out newer models the price of the Mini 2 will come down, so at that point I will not purchase a second year, albeit at $39.

I think most are aware but just in case, you can most likely get a personal property policy with a regular insurance company.
My policy is for a $1K coverage that costs me $60/year ($15 quarterly) for any kind of loss (even theft) with State Farm.

I think most are aware but just in case, you can most likely get a personal property policy with a regular insurance company.
My policy is for a $1K coverage that costs me $60/year ($15 quarterly) for any kind of loss (even theft) with State Farm.
Thanks, Randy. I have State Farm Home & Auto. I saw this on their website:

The Personal Articles Policy insures against theft and accidental direct physical damage to covered property with some limitations and exclusions.

I'm wondering what the "limitations and exclusions" are. Have you ever had to make a claim?

Thanks

Thanks, Randy. I have State Farm Home & Auto. I saw this on their website:

The Personal Articles Policy insures against theft and accidental direct physical damage to covered property with some limitations and exclusions.

I'm wondering what the "limitations and exclusions" are. Have you ever had to make a claim?

Thanks
I haven't had to make a claim but the agent assured me it was covered regardless of the reason.
When I first talked to her, she didn't know if they insured drones but she called back with 24 hours and said yes.
BTW, I led the inquiry with... I heard State Farm covers the MA2 for $60/year and not, do you cover drones?.
I hope I never have to find out if they are correct or not but I have to assume I'm covered.
I have heard here on the forum it can make your home insurance go up but I rent so I wouldn't know.

Obviously, cost and coverage with a State Farm PAP policy varies from state to state, and maybe even by agent (depends on the underwriter).

When I insured my P3P in 2017 with them, it cost $60 for $3000... so I added some of my wife's jewelry, daughters laptop (she was in college), my DSLR and lenses, and a couple of misc other things. Local agent at the time said no to drones, so I went down the road to get it. After a few years I let it lapse tho.

I bought a used MPP a month ago and was quoted (and paid) $75 for $10,000 coverage, at my local agent this time (different guy), so of course I added the above items, and my firearms.

YMMV

I haven't had to make a claim but the agent assured me it was covered regardless of the reason.
When I first talked to her, she didn't know if they insured drones but she called back with 24 hours and said yes.
BTW, I led the inquiry with... I heard State Farm covers the MA2 for $60/year and not, do you cover drones?.
I hope I never have to find out if they are correct or not but I have to assume I'm covered.
I have heard here on the forum it can make your home insurance go up but I rent so I wouldn't know.
Thanks, Randy. It's the whether filing a claim would cause my premiums to go up in general that I am most wary of. Not sure I could explain that one to my wife :)

Thanks, Randy. It's the whether filing a claim would cause my premiums to go up in general that I am most wary of. Not sure I could explain that one to my wife
Just ask the State Farm agent if that's the case? Might not be...

Reactions: G Randy Brown
I purchased a Mini 2 9 days ago. After thinking about it a while, I purchased the Care Fresh yesterday (since I had not turned the Mini 2 on yet, I believe the 48 hour clock had not started yet). Insurance is like legalized gambling. And while I am not a risky flyer at all, for me $49 was worth the piece of mind. Now, at the end of a year as DJI puts out newer models the price of the Mini 2 will come down, so at that point I will not purchase a second year, albeit at $39.
So I got the Knucklehead award for October 2021. Took my Mini 2 up to NY state a couple weeks a go for some lovely fall foliage footage. I took it out to show my in-laws as soon as we arrived. Flew it above there new roof about 2 feet so they could see what a nice job the roofers had done, and boy was I quite impressed with myself. Then, uh-oh I was so focused on the screen that I didn't see the tree. Yep, hit the tree drone fell about 20 feet and totally made the gimble non-functioning. Did I say that I just bought a 128 card and third battery so I could take lot of great video? Right. I got nothing. Good news is that I sent it to DJI last Monday, 10/18, and today, 10/28 I just got a new one back. Moral of the story is don't be a knucklehead and if by chance you are, hope that you bought the DJI insurance :)

the ones I see on mavicpilots.com are mostly due to attempts to fly in winds beyond the drone's capability.

True, that and not checking compass / IMU agreement before take off.
Both are definite pilot errors.

There have certainly been a few (count them on one hand) cases in the crash / flyaway section that have been equipment malfunction, but at a guess that would make up a (very small) single digit % of overall losses.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54