DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly Mavic Pro over ocean

• Make sure you set a good homepoint. This should be with any flight, but with the ocean, you really want to make sure you do this. If it does loose signal, this gives it a great place to come back to.

Unless you are launching from a boat, then homepoint is useless and return to home is the worst thing that can happen.

But if you have access to 3d Printer, or know someone who have, and don't mind some DIY, I could provide files and instructions for the assembly.
That would be awesome: thanks for the offer!
Unless you are launching from a boat, then homepoint is useless and return to home is the worst thing that can happen.
It wouldn't be the first time! When I'm flying from a boat, I don't use more than 50% of my battery. Controller or UAS, my flying stops when I get to fifty!

Reactions: PanthersFan
Let me start off by saying.....
I SCARED.
Is it me or does it seem alot of mavics like taking the plunge into the big ocean? More than any other DJI Drone. Or is it more likely that owners of mavics are more likely to fly over the ocean?

I'm going camping for a week next to the beautiful Pacific Ocean. I'm pretty terrified to fly my mavic over it, as I've read alot of reports of mavics getting lost out at sea.
Any tips for a first time Mavic over the ocean flyer? Thank you fellow Mavic Owners!
Enjoy it. Watch the time instead of distance. Fly into the head wind. you should be fine.

Let me start off by saying.....
I SCARED.
Is it me or does it seem alot of mavics like taking the plunge into the big ocean? More than any other DJI Drone. Or is it more likely that owners of mavics are more likely to fly over the ocean?

I'm going camping for a week next to the beautiful Pacific Ocean. I'm pretty terrified to fly my mavic over it, as I've read alot of reports of mavics getting lost out at sea.
Any tips for a first time Mavic over the ocean flyer? Thank you fellow Mavic Owners!

Watch battery, distance from shore, wind direction and wind speed. You may want to turn off your ground positioning sensors if flying low over the water (not recommended flying low).
What would you consider low?
5ft
10ft
25?

Is it because you are still on .400 that you can easily push up? Would .900 not allow you do do this at all or as effectively?
There were various problems with later versions. 5 and .55 would initiate autoland over water and not easily release (had to switch to sport mode). I got wary of firmware upgrades after that and since mine works perfectly on .4 I see no reason to keep fixing what ain't broken - so to speak.

What would you consider low?
5ft
10ft
25?
I routinely fly 5 to 10 feet above the water (when Very calm winds) and sometimes go as low as 3. I love skimming a breaking wave. The trick is to be above the max wave height. Haha. But given the propensity for sneaker waves (periodicity coincidences - not really a sneaker wave) I err on the side of a few extra feet.

Reactions: Awolfe57
I routinely fly 5 to 10 feet above the water (when Very calm winds) and sometimes go as low as 3. I love skimming a breaking wave. The trick is to be above the max wave height. Haha. But given the propensity for sneaker waves (periodicity coincidences - not really a sneaker wave) I err on the side of a few extra feet.
THANKS!

stating the obvious beyond all the good advice above: but from having lost one drone already into the ocean, and just bought another mp, the only piece of mind I have is to have a float system like Qaazar or the styro balls ( i have them now) **and ** some insurance - that way if/when it hits the water, you can retrieve it for the replacement. I searched the net for all other 'retrieval' methods and found nothing satisfactory. I don't expect the floats to keep it from electrical damage- just to allow a *possible* retrieval. I also fly low but after losing at 10 feet, i am now nervous but got right back on the horse. After all, whats 700 USD for all this fun.....haha. Of course the piece of mind is short limited if you have refresh care. ps the performance over an afternoon of flying with 3 batteries over the ocean was no different for me in terms of battery(i'm talking about pontoon resistance )- i didn't exactly measure but I did not feel ripped off in any way and the winds were up to 18km/hr. I made sure to fly up wind.

Last edited:
It may not be the "smartest " in your opinion but it works best for my situation. I have hand grabbed before but try to avoid it. I have seen some of the gashes on people's hands posted on here, and some required stitches after a prop gash and I am often a day away from a hospital when on the ocean.

Yeah, landing on the boat might not be smartest idea. When I do it I always catch and launch from the hand, I figured solution that's helping me with it.

OP, just be careful and enjoy, ocean is not some terrible beast just waiting to eat as many Mavics as possible. As others mentioned before, I'd also recommend turning VPS off if you want to fly low, and check your wind, batteries before heading out.

And perhaps to ease you a little, bit from my flying :)

Launched and recovered from the boat.

When I first bought my MP, the first project involved flying over the Pacific ocean.... it was a lot of big waves and if it went down, for whatever reason, it would be "gone". No DJI refresh program covers a missing drone.
So, I took two empty 500ml water bottles, covered them with bright orange duct tape and then simply taped them to the blade arms, each bottle running parallel to the main body, taped to the front and back blade arms. I had tested the weight of the drone prior of getting the bottles and two 500ml bottles keep the drone afloat! No, they are not for 'landing' in the water, they are strictly for 'recovery'. If the drone screws up, or the operator screws up and the drone hits the pond, it's toasted! To have DJI refresh get you back up and flying, you have to have your drone to reap the benefits. So a wet drone connected to two water bottle pontoons is a winner in that situation. Bright orange duct tape makes the floating drone easy to find, and it provides the opportunity to recover it. It still flew fine and I could actually see it better!
I got the idea from the 3D printed crib you can make and then add some sections of a pool noodle to keep your drone afloat. I didn't have time to sourse a 3D printer, so I did the MacGyver version of taping water bottles to the arms.

The attached photo shows them in position but not tapped on. If I go to a cottage and flying over the lake, a little electrical tape holds them on. Boom! Retrievable!!

Attachments

• IMG_3267.JPG
    IMG_3267.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 66
I lost my drone over the ocean so I suggest you do be careful. I stayed close to the coastline. I flew high enough so as not to worry about the downward sensors. I had confirmed my home point. I under-estimated the wind when you are flying off shore - it can be much stranger than what you are feeling on the shoreline. My drone got pushed out to sea despite all of my attempts to bring it home. I suggest you learn SPORT mode. Had I switched into SPORT mode I would've had the speed/power to get my drone home. So don't fly over the ocean until you know how to switch into SPORT mode.

Reactions: ChipFrazier
It may not be the "smartest " in your opinion but it works best for my situation. I have hand grabbed before but try to avoid it. I have seen some of the gashes on people's hands posted on here, and some required stitches after a prop gash and I am often a day away from a hospital when on the ocean.

Yeah, deep cuts while out on the ocean are worst option, I agree on that. Good that landing on the board works for You, when I saw your post about landing on the deck I involuntarily thought about vessels I am on (no place to land drone), while You didn't said anything about what kind of boat/ship You are on. My mistake, sorry about that. I only hand grab Mavic with handle, hand grabbing one without is risky.

I got the idea from the 3D printed crib you can make and then add some sections of a pool noodle to keep your drone afloat. I didn't have time to sourse a 3D printer, so I did the MacGyver version of taping water bottles to the arms.

That was my base idea as well, I expanded it to add hand launch handle and was lucky enough to have access to 3d printer. But you know what they say, if it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid, good job on figuring how to make 3d printed design real without use of 3d printer :D

Reactions: Fletcher500
But if you have access to 3d Printer, or know someone who have, and don't mind some DIY, I could provide files and instructions for the assembly.

Would you be able to extend the offer of files and instructions, Qaazar? I know someone with a 3D printer and I would really like the same set up as you. Looks perfect for hand catching from a launch as I follow sculls and rowing 8s up and down the river.
Thanks in advance

Would you be able to extend the offer of files and instructions, Qaazar? I know someone with a 3D printer and I would really like the same set up as you. Looks perfect for hand catching from a launch as I follow sculls and rowing 8s up and down the river.
Thanks in advance
No problem, just need couple days to review files and write some assembly instructions, will publish whole project :)

Reactions: Nigpd
What and where? I need this!

90% of my flying centers around my diving. That means I fly quite a bit of time over oceans. That float system looks awesome!

100% of mine centres around diving pretty much. There are no need for floats (especially as they wont stop salt spray getting into the bottom and front vents and killing it).

Water isn't some mythical done killer - its no different to land. Just don't fly stupidly and crash it into the ocean.

Floats add weight, add drag, reduce battery life, screw with the CoG and therefore stability and its even worse in the wind. They're a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne