DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly Mavic Pro over ocean

100% of mine centres around diving pretty much. There are no need for floats (especially as they wont stop salt spray getting into the bottom and front vents and killing it).

Water isn't some mythical done killer - its no different to land. Just don't fly stupidly and crash it into the ocean.

Floats add weight, add drag, reduce battery life, screw with the CoG and therefore stability and its even worse in the wind. They're a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Read the thread. There is a problem that exists. To get a replacement drone from DJI, you have to send them the crashed drone. Hence a problem of getting it back from a water crash.

I was in Southern California earlier this year. I saw what I thought were a couple of whales in the distance. There was a boat following the 'spray'. After a while, I lost sight of the Mavic (on the horizon), but I could stillness see the boat from the camera.

As I got close to the boat, I could see the whale 'spray',so I followed.

At that moment, I realized that I was over 12k feet from my land location!

I caught a couple of videos before the drone software prompted me to to return 'home' because I had just enough battery to make it back.

Caught some really cool footage of the Grey Whale though (see attached)!

To make things easy, I am using this:
LQNRLYI.jpg

More here: Mavic Lifejacket
Nice. How much does the whole setup weigh in at? I guess with that stick you have to hand grab/launch, no standard landing option? Do the downward sensors still work with that or do they have to be turned off?

Last edited:
I've flown my Mavic over the Ocean many times, but I have a Phantom Pro and Phantom 4, and most of my over water has been with them. I wasn't nervous AT ALL. Why? Because I have over a million feet, loads of hours, and I've NEVER had one of these things come down when I didn't want it to. They are amazingly reliable. I wouldn't make my maiden flights out to sea.

It doesn't know it's over water! I've flown 2 miles out over FLs East coast, at midnight, into near gale l like wind conditions. The map showed my exact podition. The view of the condos lining the shore at night was beautiful. I hand caught it when it got home because of the wind. You make sure it's hovering steady, you grab one of the gear and kill the engine. A monkey could do it. You'd have to be spastic to cut yourself. Landing on a rolling boat, or sandy beach in the wind is madness. Hand catching is easy and fool proof. LOL I was almost LOS! Most of the time I could just make out the flashing lights. Question: When they blink off, are you legal. Because then it would blink, legal, illegal, legal... I was worried sick.

One issue. I haven't learned to hand catch my Mavic yet. The sensors seem to make it climb away from my hand. I'M CAUTIOUS! I want to see how it's done before I do it. But there are videos that I bet show the trick, and it's easy.

Have fun over the Ocean. From a boat, I'd learn to hand catch first. It's NOT scary. At least not with a Phantom. Some people ALWAYS hand catch to avoid the vibration on landing.

Nice. How much does the whole setup weigh in at? I guess with that stick you have to hand grab/launch, no standard landing option? Do the downward sensors still work with that or do they have to be turned off?

Whole set weights 133g, handle setup without floats 45g and floats without handle 133g. And as suggested by that weights, set can be configured to have handle (no landing on it's own, only hand catch is possible) or just floats, it then can land by itself (not on the water).
With handle attached downward sensors should be disabled, with just floats they should be fine. I didn't test that, but 120° cone extending from them should not be obscured by floats.

One issue. I haven't learned to hand catch my Mavic yet. The sensors seem to make it climb away from my hand. I'M CAUTIOUS! I want to see how it's done before I do it. But there are videos that I bet show the trick, and it's easy.

Easy indeed, at least on the land, on the rocking boat not so much, hence my handle.
You can either disable sensors and Mavic won't climb away, or just position Mavic slightly higher then your shoulder. Then approach if from behind, carefully (to avoid propeller cuts) place your open hand underneath, it will rise slightly, let it, keep hand steady. Then with your other hand hold height stick down and Mavic will gently land on your open hand. At least that's how I do it while on land and without handle.

Last edited:
I live on a lake & frequently fly over water. The advice above is good. I have DJI Care & State Farm insurance. But, I made the pontoon below as an added security feature. Works like a champ! And, I worry less.

Attachments

• 20170527_154313.jpg
    20170527_154313.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
Reactions: Matt
100% of mine centres around diving pretty much. There are no need for floats (especially as they wont stop salt spray getting into the bottom and front vents and killing it).

Water isn't some mythical done killer - its no different to land. Just don't fly stupidly and crash it into the ocean.

Floats add weight, add drag, reduce battery life, screw with the CoG and therefore stability and its even worse in the wind. They're a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
I fly with pontoons with ease. Concerns about CoG are a myth if properly positioned. Likewise, proper design will reduce your concerns about weight and drag.

I have been flying with floats on the mavic since January with no issues with performance, battery life or having them get in view of the camera. Mine is s simple recover only type Mavic water recovery system

I like some of the ideas here. The u shape seem to help in keeping the noodle back from the camera. Anything past this will show up when hard banking. I have seen plenty of video of the balls just flying off on contact so if you are looking for recovery the balls seem to not accomplish this. What ever the design a snug fit will be best in a crash. Low profile to mitigate shear force. Drones are not airplanes and given its relatively small size air drag is a minimal factor.

The mavic is top heavy so having the floats back and out of the way of camera view will not result in a great floating device for landing on water.

I always hand catch with the camera facing away from me.

Here is a example of following a moving object and orbiting around it. If you want to capture a move object or orbit your boat you need to have the floats back

Last edited:
I was in Southern California earlier this year. I saw what I thought were a couple of whales in the distance. There was a boat following the 'spray'. After a while, I lost sight of the Mavic (on the horizon), but I could stillness see the boat from the camera.

As I got close to the boat, I could see the whale 'spray',so I followed.

At that moment, I realized that I was over 12k feet from my land location!

I caught a couple of videos before the drone software prompted me to to return 'home' because I had just enough battery to make it back.

Caught some really cool footage of the Grey Whale though (see attached)!

Nice whale shot. I worked on the DP fishing boats as a kid in the 80's. Lots to see out there. If I only had a Drone back then.

I am seeing static pic's of people's floats and a verbal description of how they hand catch on a boat with this add-on or that technique, and the video of the flying,........but never a single video of them actually hand catching and launching .....repeatedly......while bobbing around in chop and wind........

Just trying to see how these contraptions work and not how people say they work. Oh well...

Last edited:
I don't think most people are going to launch from a boat with heavy seas and wind In play.

I am seeing static pic's of people's floats and a verbal description of how they hand catch on a boat with this add-on or that technique, and the video of the flying,........but never a single video of them actually hand catching and launching .....repeatedly......while bobbing around in chop and wind........

Just trying to see how these contraptions work and not how people say they work. Oh well...

I don't think most people are going to launch from a boat with heavy seas and wind In play.
Heavy seas?!? That's nonsense and obviously not what I am referring to. I'm talking about some video in mild open water conditions where is always some minimal wind around, say 4-8 mph winds with a 1 ft chop. Again all talk and static pictures with no video examples.

Heavy seas?!? That's nonsense and obviously not what I am referring to. I'm talking about some video in mild open water conditions where is always some minimal wind around, say 4-8 mph winds with a 1 ft chop. Again all talk and static pictures with no video examples.

I am curious as to why are you so concerned with what others are doing? Do they need to provide the film to prove to you their systems work? I don't think they could care either way what your opinion is. Cheers.

2 types of sensors. The VPS (ultrasound) determine actual height above ground once you're within about 30ft. (As opposed to barometric which is altitude relative to take off point and nothing else). These will help with auto land and slow or hover the last 02-3ft or so if needed.
You also have the vision system which is responsible for remembering what the take off site looks like so helps with precision landing and also used to improve hover stability by using optical sensors (indoor and outdoor).

They're both useful in their own right but can be unreliable over water or snow.

Thanks for the response. I should've been a little more specific...what is the point of "landing protection?" I have mine switched off because I prefer to have full control of the aircraft as it is landing, because I feel I can be more precise than the auto-land feature.

I fly mine over the ocean every week, I get the best range that way. Today went 2 mi out, never lost signal or HD. The other day flew 7.1 miles total over water down a river. But then I've accepted if I am foolish with batteries and wind that I may be spending $750 to buy another one.

I've taken my Inspire 2 a little over a mile out from shore, flying too far with it is a much costlier mistake to avoid.

Mavic has that range, tho. Its my scout.

mate you dont have nothing to worry about.
Look > 80% of my flights have been over the ocean.

If the Mavic will suddenly fall it will do it regardless of its on the ocean or not. So my best advise is only keep an eye out on the battery, ensure that you the props are properly secure and check the wind direction. Do not fly against the wind to return and come back home early, dont over extend and land with plenty of battery.

Just relax have fun and believe me is much more scary to fly on land than over the ocean.
Totally agree. I have lots of flights over ocean. Prefer it actually. Never a hiccup.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ112