DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly Mavic Pro over ocean

Heavy seas?!? That's nonsense and obviously not what I am referring to. I'm talking about some video in mild open water conditions where is always some minimal wind around, say 4-8 mph winds with a 1 ft chop. Again all talk and static pictures with no video examples.

I'll be back on the sea, sailing from the 26th of August, I if don't forget about it till then I'll record it for you.

I am seeing static pic's of people's floats and a verbal description of how they hand catch on a boat with this add-on or that technique, and the video of the flying,........but never a single video of them actually hand catching and launching .....repeatedly......while bobbing around in chop and wind........

Just trying to see how these contraptions work and not how people say they work. Oh well...

I'm busy landing the Mavic. Never occurred to me to video the catch so that I can prove that I'm actually doing it.

Reactions: gremlin16
You'd be surprised, I didn't notice any significant reduction in air time per battery, neither handling in the wind. Granted I don't fly in extremely bad weather, but in conditions shown in the video it was fine. An I am not forgetting about spray and waves, this is handle for hand launch and (as mentioned in photo album) life-jacket. It's not designed for landing on the water but to keep drone from drowning in case something wrong happens. I did design and tested float setup that allowed water landing but that one had issues with handling due to floats being significantly lower and was rejected.

Thanks, that is my own design and construction.
Floats foam is repurposed pool noodle, plastic parts are made using 3d printer. While I already build few of those and could make one more, shipping it to you would be very expensive, I am in Europe and my guess is that you are from US like most of the forum members.
But if you have access to 3d Printer, or know someone who have, and don't mind some DIY, I could provide files and instructions for the assembly.

Hi. Can you provide the files? I'd like to print a set and see how they perform. Thanks!

I'm busy landing the Mavic. Never occurred to me to video the catch so that I can prove that I'm actually doing it.
It's not a matter of proving or doubting, it's a chance to see how a catch/launch actually proceeds under different specific conditions. No need for a second camera if ya don't want the hassle, just keep the camera on a point it straight down before you set up to catch. Edit out a short clip. Simple, done. Way more info and learning than a verbal description
I'll be back on the sea, sailing from the 26th of August, I if don't forget about it till then I'll record it for you.
Thanks. Awesome

Here is a successful Mavic catch on a sailboat (not mine). Watching the vid tells the story, .........and I don't have to rely on someones potentially confused verbal description of the sea state and other surroundings/conditions at the time.

Last edited:
Same here almost 80% of my flights where over water of course if you do it the first time you almost **** in your pants but after that it`s just pure fun :)

Let me start off by saying.....
I SCARED.
Is it me or does it seem alot of mavics like taking the plunge into the big ocean? More than any other DJI Drone. Or is it more likely that owners of mavics are more likely to fly over the ocean?

I'm going camping for a week next to the beautiful Pacific Ocean. I'm pretty terrified to fly my mavic over it, as I've read alot of reports of mavics getting lost out at sea.
Any tips for a first time Mavic over the ocean flyer? Thank you fellow Mavic Owners!
I fly over the Atlantic Ocean all the time. I do get a lot of high wind warnings that make my heart beat faster, but thankfully I have never had a problem and the video is stunning.
Good luck and start close and go further each time to build your confidence.

Still keen to copy the excellent design you have.

How's the project going?
Worry not, I have not forgotten. It is coming :) I Had so much on my head past week that I had no time to look at it. But will be published soon :D

Worry not, I have not forgotten. It is coming :) I Had so much on my head past week that I had no time to look at it. But will be published soon :D

Thanks for the update

nigpd <------ natural worrier :D

I know the feeling with stuff filling yer head and the days flying by.

Last edited:
I am seeing static pic's of people's floats and a verbal description of how they hand catch on a boat with this add-on or that technique, and the video of the flying,........but never a single video of them actually hand catching and launching .....repeatedly......while bobbing around in chop and wind........

Just trying to see how these contraptions work and not how people say they work. Oh well...

Finally got around to editing this video from September of a hand catch, on the ocean, from two perspectives - the Mavic Pro, and my Sony Action Cam fixed on the boat. No contraptions.

Finally got around to editing this video from September of a hand catch, on the ocean, from two perspectives - the Mavic Pro, and my Sony Action Cam fixed on the boat. No contraptions.

Nice! I would say that for every 10 catches in reasonably calm weather like that (on a similar boat) i’d Have 1 where i’d nick the prop with a finger due to the drifting-rolling factor, even if there isn’t much of it. Guess i’m not as athletically talented. With the hand “contraption” i’m using, that drops to almost zero, and it’s really handy when the wind unexpectedly picks up, and things get dicey

A few suggestions:

1) Turn off downward sensors so it does not try to fly up and away from you.
2) If landing on a boat, stop the boat! It is surprising seeing a number of videos with a moving boat.
3) Wear leather gloves.

I like the home-made floats ...
LQNRLYI.jpg

... but I would remove the handle and just grab a float. If it unexpectedly had to land on land that little post will make it lay over.

Nice! I would say that for every 10 catches in reasonably calm weather like that (on a similar boat) i’d Have 1 where i’d nick the prop with a finger due to the drifting-rolling factor, even if there isn’t much of it. Guess i’m not as athletically talented. With the hand “contraption” i’m using, that drops to almost zero, and it’s really handy when the wind unexpectedly picks up, and things get dicey

The image stabilization on the action cam makes it seems like the boat isn't moving much, but it was rocking a fair bit. There was about a 12 second wave period, which was great for the skis. This video shows the sea conditions better (although the cinematography isn't great).

I live on the Pacific Coast bluff outside of LA and fly almost every day over the ocean for almost a year. My first day I was nervous about flying over water. Since then I logged in over 8 million feet without incidence except for landing with 0 % battery after underestimating the wind resistance on return. My main other concern are the helicopters which can be below you skimming the water on your return. Listen and watch for them.

Flying over the ocean is great since the scenery is always changing.... various kinds of boats, sea animals on buoys, divers, sunsets and wonderful homes on the cliffs. Stay within visual and low speed initially after a very short while you will be wanting to see all you can and share with your friends at home.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13