DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly Mini without remote?

MSO

Reactions
Since the thing is so small, I can see situations where flying it with phone would, for once, actually make some sense.

Is it possible? Haven't heard or read about it yet.

Since the thing is so small, I can see situations where flying it with phone would, for once, actually make some sense.

Is it possible? Haven't heard or read about it yet.
Unfortunately, the remote for the Mini is required.

Yes, another "strange" limitation, can't be hardware related surely ? Or maybe they saved a few cents by not having WiFi hosting on the MM...

Sorry to resurrect a necro thread, but does the Mini 2 have the same limitation? I've gotten used to flying my Air without the remote, and I'm probably not interested in drones that don't allow this.

Sorry to resurrect a necro thread, but does the Mini 2 have the same limitation? I've gotten used to flying my Air without the remote, and I'm probably not interested in drones that don't allow this.
No current DJI product allows this feature. You can fly without the device..but you cannot fly without the remote.

No current DJI product allows this feature. You can fly without the device..but you cannot fly without the remote.
Hm. No, that's clearly not true. I can connect with my mobile device to the wireless antenna on my Mavic Air and fly it that way with no problem--unless you consider the original Air not to be a current product?

Hm. No, that's clearly not true. I can connect with my mobile device to the wireless antenna on my Mavic Air and fly it that way with no problem--unless you consider the original Air not to be a current product?
I obviously disregarded The original Mavic Air as both you already mentioned it and it certainly isn't current. In fact from the DJI home page: The Mavic Air is no longer in production.

The last Mavic drone to support that very useful feature (especially for the smaller drones) was the Air 1 in...2018 ! Hopefully they will come to their senses and bring that feature back on the "Mini 3" ! The Fimi Mini has that feature but it's not known if the Hubsan Mini will have it.

The last Mavic drone to support that very useful feature (especially for the smaller drones) was the Air 1 in...2018 ! Hopefully they will come to their senses and bring that feature back on the "Mini 3" ! The Fimi Mini has that feature but it's not known if the Hubsan Mini will have it.
Yes seems like a missed opportunity for the Mini2. Just put it in the air, use your phone to tell it to do a dronie and then RTH. Would make it much more useable by the average person... but I think they would have to improve obstacle avoidance quite a bit.

Yes seems like a missed opportunity for the Mini2. Just put it in the air, use your phone to tell it to do a dronie and then RTH. Would make it much more useable by the average person... but I think they would have to improve obstacle avoidance quite a bit.
Considering the Mini 2 is not capable of performing a 'dronie' without the controller to command it, how would weak WiFi from a mobile device be able to accomplish this?

The controllers provided with drones have a special enhanced WiFi, which mobile devices are not capable of.
Precisely why cheapo drones that use the mobile device WiFi have rubbish control distance.

Considering the Mini 2 is not capable of performing a 'dronie' without the controller to command it, how would weak WiFi from a mobile device be able to accomplish this?

The controllers provided with drones have a special enhanced WiFi, which mobile devices are not capable of.
Precisely why cheapo drones that use the mobile device WiFi have rubbish control distance.
I know it can't do it currently, thats the whole point of my post. Would be cool if it had the intellegence to do it automatically. Just connect to if from close range with your phone, tell it to go up and do a dronie or do a "Quickshot" and then land again.

Skydio drones can be controlled at close range with just your phone, so it's not something impossible as you seem to suggest.

I'm also not saying that it should replace the dedicated remote, just an added feature for people that want to take a quick drone shot.

It's all "possible", previous DJI drones even had it.

Was most likely canned because either telemetry showed that nobody was using it or too many people were crashing while using it and leading to excessive support claims/warranty replacement expenses...

Reactions: ashyt16
The current remote is huge (in Air 2). Remote, drone, batteries, and charger is such a large pile that I rarely pack it with me any more.

It would be great to have a very small Ocusync radio (no need for sticks, just the radio and a return home button) or beam forming wifi for 100m of remoteless control. With this I could take drone to most places (250g instead of > 1kg).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest