DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flyaway on Waypoints - DJI support and offer is terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I suggest to keep clear from Waypoints for multiple reasons.

The first being that on the current app version it prevents the use of the feature without the drone connected - you might think "okay what's the news?". Well, the app goes "blank" as soon as you experience a RC disconnection, so you lose track of the route in case you need to recover it afterwards.

Second, if you lose connection and you are on "continue mission", you'll lose vital battery minutes while waiting for the drone to return trusting it should (if you are sure you haven't done anything wrong in your programming), instead of immediately start moving in the drone's direction to at least keep track of it.

OT: Now, I know that there are lots of GPS trackers out there, but definitely if you were wondering what could be a "Mavic 3" feature, that would be it: mobile connection, keeping always the drone reachable or even remotely controllable (on 5g even with video feed?) via the Internet.

Now, what's the problem with DJI assistance? They asked me to upload tons of stuff and ALL videos on the smartphone (not only the incident one), to run an analysis, only to report back that the drone lost connection while flying straight on waypoints. Which was exactly what I wrote to them, but also pointing them to threads of their own forum where Waypoints is reported to malfunction on RC disconnection and "continue mission".

What did they offer at the end? A 30% "discount" on a new drone without accessories. That's not a discount, 30% is approximately the value of the remote itself.

I would at least expect them to apply the same logic of DJI Care: that's not an "insurance", you have basically paid the production cost if you sum up the insurance cover cost + the price you have to pay for a (refurbished moreover, most of the times) replacement, while they keep the broken one and restore it to working conditions for another "unlucky" customer.

I understand 30% "discounts" are offered when there is no proof that neither it's pilot error nor drone malfunction, but what you think of them?

EDIT: This thread is NOT meant to comment on the incident itself (otherwise I would have given all sorts of information about it), but rather the service received, so please avoid distracting from the original the intention or you'll be reported.

I mean, if I lost signal I want it to fly back. I never fly it too far to where I want it to continue mission. If you are crazy enough, you might as well go 15 miles away from home and have it fly WP land back to your house. I wish I could do it but I don't have the "balls".

Oh after all this debate about the fact I obviously didn't understand it was 30% off the drone alone without accessories, etc. DJI here, DJI there, can you imagine what is the price for the replacement? 908.26 + 15 for freight!

So full retail price minus the supposed retail prices of remote and charger. Without any guarantee that it wouldn't be a refurb.

With the following remark (pasted including mistakes): "No waarnaty.Virtual Order+30% off for Mavic 2 Zoom aircraft without charger and remote".

Now I don't even want to know what currency that is (as obviously it isn't displayed anywhere) as the full price would be 1297,53 "whatevers" and I paid approx 1150€ for the full package incl. shipment and it still sells for around that price.

Any better thoughts? I call it a scam at best.

Last edited:
Oh after all this debate about the fact I obviously didn't understand it was 30% off the drone alone without accessories, etc. DJI here, DJI there, can you imagine what is the price for the replacement? 908.26 + 15 for freight!

So full retail price minus the supposed retail prices of remote and charger. Without any guarantee that it wouldn't be a refurb.

With the following remark (pasted including mistakes): "No waarnaty.Virtual Order+30% off for Mavic 2 Zoom aircraft without charger and remote".

Now I don't even want to know what currency that is (as obviously it isn't displayed anywhere) as the full price would be 1297,53 "whatevers" and I paid approx 1150€ for the full package incl. shipment and it still sells for around that price.

Any better thoughts? I call it a scam at best.
Go for a higher discount or buy another package at the best price you can and sell off the extras.

Go for a higher discount or buy another package at the best price you can and sell off the extras.

That's the very least, I sent it to my lawyer.
Actually I might hold on, as I see there they are going out of stock, which might indicate there could be something waiting to be released, like a "Platinum" version (very appropriate as M2 duration and noise level suck compared to the "old" Platinum).

They won't get a higher discount, I tried that.

That's the very least, I sent it to my lawyer.
Actually I might hold on, as I see there they are going out of stock, which might indicate there could be something waiting to be released, like a "Platinum" version (very appropriate as M2 duration and noise level suck compared to the "old" Platinum).

They won't get a higher discount, I tried that.
I wouldn't be wasting money on lawyers. Not for this. You took on an assumed risk flying the waypoint mission and it ended badly. Its something I think we all contend with at times (I know I frequently do. Most of my airtime is over water so chances of recovery are very slim).

Reactions: Kilrah
I wouldn't be wasting money on lawyers. Not for this. You took on an assumed risk flying the waypoint mission and it ended badly. Its something I think we all contend with at times (I know I frequently do. Most of my airtime is over water so chances of recovery are very slim).
She's on a retainer :) I would be just doing for the sake of it now.

DJI haven't replied yet but the wording leaves little doubt as whether it's €1249-30% - that would be €874.30. The RC alone goes around €300-350 if I recall.

This is the calculation they made after the correction.

Net Price of our stocked Mavic 2 Zoom is 908.26 EUR. Freight to XXX is a standard 15 EUR. Discount is 30% ( = *0.70). VAT is 21% ( = *1.21).

Net Price + Discount + Freight + VAT = 908.26 * 0.7 + 15 * 1.21 = 787.44.

If 908 +VAT is their retail price of the AC alone accordingly to them, by subtraction charger and cables would be worth a mere 115.77+VAT o_O

Last edited:
This is the calculation they made after the correction.
If 908 +VAT is their retail price of the AC alone accordingly to them, by subtraction charger and cables would be worth a mere 115.77+VAT o_O
The package is always cheaper than the sum of the prices of the individual items, and not just with DJI.

Reactions: Danr-62
The package is always cheaper than the sum of the prices of the individual items, and not just with DJI.
Obviously, but who in his sane mind would accept such offer then?

So there is a cheaper alternative? Their offer is still at least 30% less than any other option to replace the aircraft, short of buying used.
Yes, basic economic thinking: every calculation they make is on full retail prices, thankfully the street price is now 100€ down. I'd rather spend again 1150€ (or take the chance to switch to smart controller) on a new one and sell the RC for €300 (50€ more) and be sure I'm not getting a refurb, it would be almost break even.
If it was more than 30% it would make sense, or if the product was launched recently and prices were still not influenced by basic supply/demand ratios.

Obviously, but who in his sane mind would accept such offer then?
I guess you don’t need to accept the offer, the same as they didn’t need to offer it.

Yes, basic economic thinking: every calculation they make is on full retail prices, thankfully the street price is now 100€ down. I'd rather spend again 1150€ (or take the chance to switch to smart controller) on a new one and sell the RC for €300 (50€ more) and be sure I'm not getting a refurb, it would be almost break even.
If it was more than 30% it would make sense, or if the product was launched recently and prices were still not influenced by basic supply/demand ratios.
Do you know yet what currency was applied by DJI in arriving at the offer price.....??

Take it or leave it. Choice is yours- obviously.

I guess you don’t need to accept the offer, the same as they didn’t need to offer it.
Obviously. But what's the point? A commercial bait for uneducated folks?
At least DJI Care Refresh is based on the production cost, fully covered by the customer (even though it's perceived as insurance-based, which clearly isn't).

Obviously. But what's the point? A commercial bait for uneducated folks?
At least DJI Care Refresh is based on the production cost, fully covered by the customer (even though it's perceived as insurance-based, which clearly isn't).
DJI care operates a lot like most insurance policies- premium, deductible, prescribe events, conditions, exclusions etc.

Out of interest- what are your expectations?

Maybe you should have taken the DJI care option?

Do you know yet what currency was applied by DJI in arriving at the offer price.....??

All was in EUR, hence the calculation I could derive from retail prices. The first offer was formatted by a monkey, most probably, hence the confusion.

They basically value aircraft and a battery (possibly plus gimbal cover and propellers) 88% of the full retail price. I was expecting something around 70-75%, applying 30% to that would have made sense economically. But as street price is 92% currently, it makes no sense unless you get 50% or more discount.

All was in EUR, hence the calculation I could derive from retail prices. The first offer was formatted by a monkey, most probably, hence the confusion.

They basically value aircraft and a battery (possibly plus gimbal cover and propellers) 88% of the full retail price. I was expecting something around 70-75%, applying 30% to that would have made sense economically. But as street price is 92% currently, it makes no sense unless you get 50% or more discount.
DJI still get your money whichever way you go (their offer or retail elsewhere).

DJI care operates a lot like most insurance policies- premium, deductible, prescribe events, conditions, exclusions etc.

Out of interest- what are your expectations?

Maybe you should have taken the DJI care option?
Mmm... nope. By paying the Care Refresh premium and the first accident fee, you are covering the industrial manufacturing cost of the first refurbished drone they are shipping back to you. Which means they at worst break even and at best gain from a no-crash in a year. On the second crash you only pay slightly more because you already contributed two repairable carcasses (circular economy), which is the other variable in the equation (cost of repair).

That's smart but economically not based on insurance odds.

In my case Care Refresh wouldn't have covered anything, as it always implies returning the aircraft.

My expectation was to get 30% off a more reasonable value split like I said, 70-75%, something around 700€, reasonably adjusted to market value.

Last edited:
DJI still get your money whichever way you go (their offer or retail elsewhere).
Precisely, that's why calling it a discount is a scam! It makes a lot of difference not knowing if I'm getting a refurb via them. Not to mention the joy of unpacking a new toy (joking).

7thstring, I see your point and I really feel for you. That 30% discount looks like a bad joke. I would buy another retail if I was in your position (provided I had the cash of course). From the threads about DJI support in the last few weeks, my opinion of them has changed drastically. I hope I will never have to deal with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111