DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying a drone from a parked vehicle?

A quick phone call to the FAA and they will tell you this , if your reported and if they find video of the incident if its not 5000 ft or more there is no warning even offered. Thus likely why he was never contacted. There is no rule anywhere about flying from inside your car .

If you going to fly from inside your car there is no better way to keep visual line of sight.
In the rain, in the wind, with windshield wipers, perfect audio ques from the controller , you wont miss a beat.

This is me :

2022-11-14_09h36_27.png
Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water ,

Thanks. I was just curious. I’m glad you didn’t get in trouble. Last year I got my 107, and in the classes, I can’t remember Greg saying anything about not flying from a vehicle (and he covered things in depth).

Right, I kind of think he was making up the rules as he went. I was actively engaged in the flight, kept VLOS and car was not moving, so while I was sort of nervous for a few days, the more I thought about, the more I was convinced it would not turn out into anything but perhaps a warning.

There are some benefits to flying from inside the Car.

1> You do not have to be worry about being blinded by the sun in the face or on the Controller .

2: Being able to see and hear your controller clearly is also a big plus , many times in the wind I dont hear or see anything .

3: Being able to brace the Controller allows for some Precision flying and focus on the shot your taking.

4: Its more important for me to hear the Controller but I will crack my window for outside sounds.

5: It isolates me from Pedestrian side talk which has distracted me on more than 1 occasion as seen in many of my videos of landing on the Water.

6: Of course staying out of the Elements is nice also.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water
99% of the time I now fly from inside my car
Why not
If I ever get a lost signal I get out of the car for a minute and fix the problem
No worries :cool:

I have flown from inside my truck. Now I drive a Tesla, I think I will keep the drones well away from that just to be safe.

Mike
Holy cow you got the Tesla , I need to see you flying from inside the Tesla, Please pretty please .
Also can you hook the HMDI to the Large Screen ?
Also can you live screen using the Large Screen as a Monitor
I cannot do any of that in My Santa Cruz

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. and maybe your Tesla

Holy cow you got the Tesla , I need to see you flying from inside the Tesla, Please pretty please .
Also can you hook the HMDI to the Large Screen ?
Also can you live screen using the Large Screen as a Monitor
I cannot do any of that in My Santa Cruz

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. and maybe your Tesla
With the full panoramic roof VLOS should be easy enough. Interesting questions ya got there……hmmmmm. Lol

Guys I have seen so many people fly there birds from a parked vehicle. For eg in winter etc.... I am terrified to fly a drone from inside a vehicle. I would really like to try this but dont want to loose my bird or get disconnected. Can you guys share some tips and tricks that will help me to have a safe flight from inside my parked vehicle? This will be really helpful. Thanks in advance.
Just do it!
I do it all the time
I was terrified at 1st
2nd or 3rd time that will pass ;)

Its easy.. Like others have said just park your car towards your flying location and take off from outside the car and once youre moving just go ahead and sit down in your car and monitor your reception ... You should be fine..if a couple of bars drop just hop outside the car and get re-adjusted! You're golden.

Just do it.

Reactions: Mavikhan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead