DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying at a High School

I guess you don't quite understand what "may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft" means? I fly under section 336, not part 107, which was plainly stated at the beginning of my post. A UAS pilot is under more regulations under part 107 than section 336, as well it should be, since it's a for-hire situation. As a hobbyist, as long as I follow the 5 rules in sec. 336, I'm golden.
Not entirely true. Technically, you are either 107 or 336. 336 requires you to fly under the safety stds of a recognized (FAA) community based organ and their safety requirements.

The FAA can't forbid JACK? That could be true if you never registered your uas. The FAA strives to keep airspace safe for all. I, as a certified 107 pilot, would not have someone's uas come crashing down on me due to inexperienced pilots.

You can be a 107 pilot and have zero flight experience. The ticket doesn’t make you a better pilot.

Reactions: sleebus.jones
Interestingly, this kind of thing came up at the local school board meeting this week. The school board approved guidelines that included a statement that no district employee or student can operate a drone (hobby or otherwise) w/o holding a part 107 or a 107 holder available to take control if necessary. The public could operate on any district property as long as the flights did not interfere with district activities. The primary reason for the statement is to protect the district from liability matters.

If your district does not have language about drones, (as much as I hate to say this) contact the district's legal counsel and check with them. In the event that damage is caused as a result of drone activity, they would be on the hook for damages. I can't imagine the district can afford to fight a case let alone write a fat check to an overly litigious victim.

Not true. If my neighbor asks me to take a pic of his car, kid, house, etc, and to your knowledge, he is not publishing it, it’s not commercial any more than when a full scale private pilot is asked by his neighbor to go for a ride. In this case it could be commercial only because of the work related relationship and use of photos.

"Commercial", in the context of classifying a UAS flight, means any intent other than personal recreation.

I’m a teacher in an Illinois High School. The school had a drone program before, and they flew a MP in their field house. The football coach asked if I could fly over them during practice and games. I also just want to fly around and take shots for the school. Nothing paid, obviously.

Do I need anything more ham just permission from the principal to do any of these things? What’s the law and the airspace called?

I am pretty sure you need written consent for flying over crowds such as sporting event and concerts. I always wondered if the event management team could legally...print waivers on the backs of the event tickets stating something that would be like "By purchasing this ticket you give permission to be filmed by overhead aircraft during event" Not those exact words but something to that effect. What if the crowd is primarily minors... you will more than likely need parental consent.

I always do my best to make sure I fly well out of harms way and never directly over crowds. Yes....a fly away can happen. But if we only flew when we knew a fly away could not possible cause damage or injury, we would all be flying in Antarctica, The Sudan, the Mojave desert, the ocean, etc... ONLY...

I simply try to avoid crowds when ever possible, a handful of people I am okay with. As soon as I see them, I fly away from.

It seems funny to me after all this time (new pilots are excused from this discussion) some people still do not recognize the difference between what is a 107 operation, and what is a hobbyist. If pictures or video is not for your personal use, and it is given to anyone else for their use, it falls under commercial rules and a 107 is required. And having a 107 certificate does not make you a better pilot than a hobbyist but it does mean you may take things a little more serious as a 107 operator has potentially more to lose imho.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleebus.jones
All of you missed one key point. He mentioned that he was flying INSIDE! The FAA doesn't control the airspace inside a building.

Now the outside stuff is a different matter.

All of you missed one key point. He mentioned that he was flying INSIDE! The FAA doesn't control the airspace inside a building.

Now the outside stuff is a different matter.
He did fly inside the field house, but the coach is asking him to fly over the practices and games. It would require a part 107.

He did fly inside the field house, but the coach is asking him to fly over the practices and games. It would require a part 107.

Over games would require a written exemption from the FAA. A 107 by itself wouldn’t be sufficient.

Don't do it. Someone sensitive might get their feelings hurt. Then you get sued. And then more bad press for drones. Then, in the middle of the night, the FAA sends it's mercs to take all our drones.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Over games would require a written exemption from the FAA. A 107 by itself wouldn’t be sufficient.
I was merely pointing out that it would be a commercial Venture so part 107 is a definite requirement. Most high school stadiums at least where I'm from would not hold over 800 people and I'm thinking the FAA exemption may not be needed, however he would not want to fly over people. But it could be done from endzones or possibly from above and behind the stadium it just depends on what kind of picture quality you can get from a mavic. I would also think that the games would be held at night there for that would require a waiver. It would most certainly be easier to fly over practice session Square there are a lot less people and he would have more room to maneuver around the actual players on the field. Imho

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929