DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying at Costa Rica w winds above 21 knots

marcomcarneiro

Reactions
Hey gang!
I'm going to Costa Rica for a week this coming Tuesday Feb 18th. I did the usual research and while most people had no problem I did find some reference on line of people frowning upon drones nearby. Adding that to the fact that it's forecasting ~21 knots of wind where I will be at, I'm considering leaving my bird home.
Personally, I have flown a few times at high speeds with gusts, and if it's just 'frowning', I'm guessing it would be ok. But I'd like to hear from you all your inputs about both flying in Costa Rica - I saw the rules, looking for personal first hand feedback - and in windy days.

Thank you all!

I'd take it, if local rules mean you could get some flights in etc.
Usually the best times of day (sunset and sunrise) can be more still, before the sun rises and air currents start to flow stronger.
At least that's how it is here, and I imagine there would be SOME times of day, or during that week, you might get a chance to fly ok.

What drone by the way ?
If it's a mini you might have more chance of wind problems.

Reactions: Thomas B
Hey gang!
I'm going to Costa Rica for a week this coming Tuesday Feb 18th. I did the usual research and while most people had no problem I did find some reference on line of people frowning upon drones nearby. Adding that to the fact that it's forecasting ~21 knots of wind where I will be at, I'm considering leaving my bird home.
Personally, I have flown a few times at high speeds with gusts, and if it's just 'frowning', I'm guessing it would be ok. But I'd like to hear from you all your inputs about both flying in Costa Rica - I saw the rules, looking for personal first hand feedback - and in windy days.

Thank you all!
You have posted on General Discussion and not mentioned which aircraft so we have no way of knowing what UAV you are flying to advise whether it will handle 21 knot winds.
Is the forecast sustained or gusts to/over 21 knots?

Oops, sorry, my bad. It's a Mavic 2 Zoom. I've flown it at higher winds a few times before.
The forecast for the whole time there is between 18-21 knots.
Well DJI’s specs for your aircraft state a wind resistance of between 29-38kph which is 18-23.6mph or 15.6-20.5knots so on the cusp of specification, but in practice I have found most aircraft (with the exception of the mini which is crap) will handle over DJI quoted wind speeds.

Reactions: marcomcarneiro
Start by flying upwind, and come home downwind. If you can’t make progress at the start upwind stop quickly and land.

Reactions: Bobvt
I've flown in that kind of wind in Aruba. It's a bit nerve wracking especially if trying to land in very specific spot. But really - you've got 40mph if you need it so just fly upwind and have fun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98