DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying at night

Trippp

Reactions
Can someone confirm this question, please. If I'm a recreational drone pilot (I don't have a Part 107 Cert) and I want to fly in uncontrolled airspace at night, below 400'agl, and I have a strobe light mounted on the craft visible for at least 3sm, am I legal to fly? Thanks, T

Can someone confirm this question, please. If I'm a recreational drone pilot (I don't have a Part 107 Cert) and I want to fly in uncontrolled airspace at night, below 400'agl, and I have a strobe light mounted on the craft visible for at least 3sm, am I legal to fly? Thanks, T
I believe it can only be accomplished by a part 107 holder performing under part 107 at night. I’ll defer to those more knowledgeable though.

Yes.

I encourage you to have a look at the training material on night operations for Part 107 pilots that was added last year, especially the part about how your vision works at night and possible optical illusions. Google Part 107 night training and you'll find a number of good resources. The Pilot Institute offers an excellent free course.

Reactions: FireAnt

Yes.

I encourage you to have a look at the training material on night operations for Part 107 pilots that was added last year, especially the part about how your vision works at night and possible optical illusions. Google Part 107 night training and you'll find a number of good resources. The Pilot Institute offers an excellent free course.

Yes as in night flying does NOT require the pilot to hold a Part 107?

Nvm… I clicked the link and read. I stand corrected on my above response.

Reactions: FireAnt and mavictk
Has to be uncontrolled airspace if no 107 as you alluded to.

Also the anti collision strobe is not required for recreational flights although it is highly recommended for all concerned.
Agree. Without a strobe, it’s difficult, if not impossible, to maintain VLOS at distance even during daylight hours. I use a strobe, sometimes two (top and bottom) on my mini 2 when flying when there will be terrain in the background. It tends to blend with the background causing loss of VLOS. A “technique only” Issue. So, at night…….

107 and TRUST operator.

Reactions: Gagey52
I believe it can only be accomplished by a part 107 holder performing under part 107 at night. I’ll defer to those more knowledgeable though.
please look up the rules before giving advice, giving the wrong advice can get people in trouble think before you reply

Reactions: edcMavicPilots
If I'm a recreational drone pilot (I don't have a Part 107 Cert) and I want to fly in uncontrolled airspace at night, below 400'agl, and I have a strobe light mounted on the craft visible for at least 3sm, am I legal to fly?
I'm going to say You CAN!

Just follow the rules and remember, if your drone is under the 250 gram limit, a strobe may put you over and then you are required to register it…

But I'm not a Drone Cop! So Fly Smart and Fly Safe…

Reactions: FireAnt
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki