DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to use FRIA locations?

Player-Pe

Reactions
I have my P-107 and registered drone w/RID, but I have a noob neighbor who doesn't want to go through the legalities of dealing with RID & airspace issues...so I urged him to at least get a TRUST certificate. I hope he at least does that. I told him about a couple of FRIAs not far from our area, but my questions are:
-How does FRIAs work?
-Can you just show up to a FRIA spot and start flying?
-Do you need permission?
-Do you have to reserve a time to fly? (pay?!)
-Do you have to join a RC group to fly in these locations?

I have my P-107 and registered drone w/RID, but I have a noob neighbor who doesn't want to go through the legalities of dealing with RID & airspace issues...so I urged him to at least get a TRUST certificate. I hope he at least does that. I told him about a couple of FRIAs not far from our area, but my questions are:
-How does FRIAs work?
-Do you need permission?
The answer to all of those questions are mostly likely maybe but you can check here:

-How does FRIAs work?
-Do you need permission?
The FRIAs I am aware of here in the Seattle area all require an AMA membership, and most require an annual membership fee to maintain the field, etc. I belong to 4 AMA RC flying fields, one is free (within the confines of a state park) and the others charge around $50/year. These fields are not really welcoming to drone pilots. Some are, some are not. However I do belong to a drone only AMA sanctioned FRIA that the Seattle FPV racers were able to establish here. I expect that there will be more drone friendly and drone only flying fields.

I would suggest you visit the websites of your local FRIA/Flying Clubs and contact them with your questions to see how each individual group handles drones.

Reactions: rgarjr and Cafguy
The FRIAs I am aware of here in the Seattle area all require an AMA membership, and most require an annual membership fee to maintain the field, etc. I belong to 4 AMA RC flying fields, one is free (within the confines of a state park) and the others charge around $50/year. These fields are not really welcoming to drone pilots. Some are, some are not. However I do belong to a drone only AMA sanctioned FRIA that the Seattle FPV racers were able to establish here. I expect that there will be more drone friendly and drone only flying fields.

I would suggest you visit the websites of your local FRIA/Flying Clubs and contact them with your questions to see how each individual group handles drones.
Same here ONLY AMA flying fields here are FRIA - SO you MUST join the AMA to fly there. I would contact the fields in my area You will need to pay an annual fee. The good thing about it is you will meet plenty of great people.

Reactions: rgarjr
My experience is that You cannot simply join AMA and pay the fee to the club. Why... Because at all 4 FRIA locations I have visted .... Drones are not allowed. Only fixed wing aircraft. It's really not a big deal though because those places don't have anything to photograph. Oh and it is like..... OH, we don't like drones and you CAN'T fly here so please leave kinda of attitude :confused:

My experience is that You cannot simply join AMA and pay the fee to the club. Why... Because at all 4 FRIA locations I have visted .... Drones are not allowed. Only fixed wing aircraft. It's really not a big deal though because those places don't have anything to photograph. Oh and it is like..... OH, we don't like drones and you CAN'T fly here so please leave kinda of attitude :confused:
Been my experience as well. Big "No drones" signs at the entrance.

Reactions: Roofdrone
Yes, I've said that before, it isn't much fun flying a Drone at an RC fixed wing field. Nothing to see or photograph, and you are limited to the confines of the field and expect to fly in either clockwise or counterclockwise around the perimeter of the field. The only real value is if you are learning to fly, or practicing maneuvers that are new to you.

The FPV flying field however is a great place for drones, limited to a few acres, but there is an old barn to fly through, as well some great tree gaps and a course with hoops and arches and other structures to fly through.
I really hope now that other CBO's can sponser a FRIA, there will be more drone dedicated areas to fly.

We have a great FPV park here in Bakersfield complete with buildings to fly through BUT its not a FRIA. The owner is really excited about actually making it one but has had no luck with the FAA.
I don't know exactly how you are supposed to get permission for a FRIA BUT there must be a way because Bardwell got his Private property legally turned into a FRIA.
Its a shame they dont make a place for you at your field We have a place for them at ours But its way off too the side and you gotta be brave and hang around the Heli guys. and really there aint much to see with a camera drone.

Reactions: Torque
We have a great FPV park here in Bakersfield complete with buildings to fly through BUT its not a FRIA. The owner is really excited about actually making it one but has had no luck with the FAA.
I don't know exactly how you are supposed to get permission for a FRIA BUT there must be a way because Bardwell got his Private property legally turned into a FRIA.
Its a shame they dont make a place for you at your field We have a place for them at ours But its way off too the side and you gotta be brave and hang around the Heli guys.
FRIA discussion with Bardwell; interesting:

Reactions: Cafguy
You have to have a TRUST cert to fly at a FRIA anyway, so just fly anywhere the regs allow, and actually have a good time. Drop the paranoia about RID... it's turning out to be a giant Nothingburger™ in terms of Karens.

Fly a quad at a FRIA, or watch oil-based paint dry... tough choice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis