DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FRIA??? Can you register your ranch as a FRIA with a CBO as a sponsor?

SWTSU

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi,
We have a 300 acre ranch and I heard that there are ways to register it as a FRIA using a CBO as a “sponsor”, is that true?

If so, how do I go about doing this? Our ranch is in central Texas well away from any controlled airspace.

No. Only a recognized CBO can apply for a FRIA.

However a CBO can apply for an off-site sanctioned event but that 'event' is not permanent. For years AMA events that are too big for club (FRIA) fields have been held at places like Airports, Private properties such as ranches, and even Polo fields to name a few.

But those off site events are ran by a sponsoring club under the strict guidelines of the CBO. This list of requirements is large and you can read about them on the FAA's website.

It should suffice to say there is no way that you could turn your ranch into your own private "FRIA", nor would you be able to have an event sponsored in which allows only you to fly around at anytime you like.

On the other hand, there are always AMA (CBO) clubs in search of a new flying site. I've been a member of AMA over 45 years and ALL of the clubs I was a member of, at some point or another, discussed finding a new or better flying site. But you as an owner of the property must understand what comes with that. A designated part of your land will be run and managed by the club at all times according to the CBO.

But also that club would have to abide by whatever rules you as a property owner wishes to negotiate. For instance you could say that you only want them active for a few days a week, or even only six months out of the year as an example, and if they agree then that will be the periods they apply for and that field would ONLY be considered a FRIA during those times when the club is active

Also, to even fly at a club located on your own property you would still have to be an AMA member and follow club and CBO rules and keep in mind, your allowing all of the members unfettered access to that flying site.

If thats what your after, reach out to the AMA and find all the clubs near you and send them a letter that you have a large property and may entertain having a club set up a flying site.

At the Moment I would say your not going to have much success with the FAA. BUT its always worth a try.
NOW If you could open up that part of your property for your CBO activities still its a maybe all that would also depend on your insurance companies AND This is the biggest problem with opening an RC or Drone park- INSURANCE. Find a company that will cover you there.
Then you could open a public RC park or Drone Park. Some Companies have policies for such a park BUT then you are forced to use the A.M.A. Safety Guidelines and have your park Approved thru them before these Companies will provide coverage. Perhaps your CBO could help with this. It has been argued before that this is not a fact on private property BUT Unless you want to fit the bill for injuries caused by you or your guests--For others to fly RC vehicles on your property your insurance company must agree beforehand I can promise you its in your policy.
To open a park to the public would require you to show the FAA that you have coverage for such incidents and that you are in no way a danger to the flying and non flying public. Hence AMA Approval. Give it a try and Keep us posted By the way My RC airfield that itself is an AMA Approved Field still is waiting. We are not denied but no acceptance either.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWTSU and mavic3usa
Just get a RID approved drone or a RID module (or a recreational microdrone <250g) and fly anywhere you want at any time on your property. Temporary No Flight Zones (If that would even happen) notwithstanding. It would be much less of a pain than having your own FRIA.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman