DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying birds and drone safety

Can a flying bird take away your flying drone or is harmful in any way? This is more related to the tiny weightless Mini 2.
Law enforcement has experimented with trained eagles to catch and remove unauthorized drones midair from restricted airspace e.g. over sports stadiums, etc.

Personally I always thought this was a little hazardous for the eagle, as, it would seem, there’s a good chance the drone’s propellers could injure the Eagle’s talons during a capture.

As for general operations, I have been cautioned about operating drones on a beach where there are seagulls present. I understand that seagulls can become aggressive toward a drone, but have never witnessed it personally.

Power up when around them and you will be fine in most cases. I have a mini and a Air2 and fly around small red tails all the time (they come around when im up in the sky) and just go up.

Had a new drone and did a little cruising with them recently.

I had a look at your video. Brief comment: There is a fine line between observing and harassing birds ...

Go into sports mode and climb - most birds cannot outclimb a Mavic Air 2 - I had a crow try to take me on for 40 minutes once. I toyed with it just to see how easy it was to avoid it.

I understand perfectly, the footage is edited down and I will restate what I said in a different way... I was in the air lower for many packs before that. It is my backyard, I wasn't hunting the hawk but I was above it for a reason in the edited video. Just enjoy the video or don't....the whole point in me posting is saying climb above birds if they come around.
Harassment IMO. You say you were above the hawk for safety... but clearly moved towards the hawk multiple times, not away.... the hawk was clearly evading you. If you want a better (more friendly) assessment upload the uncut video, maybe you can make your point better. If I were a State Game Warden I would be very interested to see the rest of the (uncut) video.

Birds of Prey will certainly challenge your sUAV if they feel their territory is encroached upon

This is why it is LEGAL to go above 400' AGL to get away from a bird attacking your sUAV, and why I do not have the hard limit for AGL set to 400, I normally have it set to 600' +.

The reasoning is...
@neggy .... there is no condition that makes drone flight above 400’ AGL legal in the U.S. controlled airspace. Please don’t post falsehoods and misconceptions that could get newby drone pilots in legal trouble and/or fined by FAA.

@neggy .... there is no condition that makes drone flight above 400’ AGL legal in the U.S. controlled airspace. Please don’t post falsehoods and misconceptions that could get newby drone pilots in legal trouble and/or fined by FAA.

Sir I beg to differ, and the subject is covered in the newly released Part 107 re-current study material

here it is, and it also applies to part 61, the short version is you can go above 400' AGL for the purposes of avoiding an accident or loss of aircraft. You can break ANY part 107 rule to avoid a crash or loss of aircraft. Please see screen grab from FAA 107 re-current training (new rules version) below

"In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency."

OH BTW another LEGAL way to be 400' AGL is if you are next to a structure, if for example ( AND THIS QUESTION IS ON EVERY PART 107 STUDY PREP I HAVE EVER SEEN !!!) "you have been hired to inspect a tower 2.5 nm NE of Souix City, how high are you allowed to fly doing the inspection" The options on the test will be MSL,or AGL,, and since obstacles are marked on the charts as AGL, and the tower is 600' (they will make you find the tower on the chart and determine the height from the chart markings) the correct answer knowing you are allowed to fly 400' higher than the structure is 1000' AGL

I suggest you read Section 107.51, drones can fly above 400 feet if they are flying within the vicinity of a structure. The working of this exception is that manned aircraft will also adjust their cruising altitude when they pass over any large structures.

(PS I am non current Part 61, with seat time as recent as 2 weeks ago with an Instructor, I am current 107 and was one of the first people to re-current online 4/6 via the new online system... I am pretty sure I know what I am talking about when I tell someone it is legal to exceed 400' to avoid loss of aircraft or other emergency.... the same rules apply to Part 61, we can do whatever is needed to save the aircraft rules be damned and I remember that quite clearly not only from Ground School but from various instructors and my FAA Examiner.)

Attachments

• 400' structure.png
    400' structure.png
    264.8 KB · Views: 2
  • above 400 to save.png
    above 400 to save.png
    589.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Sir I beg to differ, and the subject is covered in the newly released Part 107 re-current study material

here it is, and it also applies to part 61, the short version is you can go above 400' AGL for the purposes of avoiding an accident or loss of aircraft. You can break ANY part 107 rule to avoid a crash or loss of aircraft. Please see screen grab from FAA 107 re-current training (new rules version) below

"In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency."

OH BTW another LEGAL way to be 400' AGL is if you are next to a structure, if for example ( AND THIS QUESTION IS ON EVERY PART 107 STUDY PREP I HAVE EVER SEEN !!!) "you have been hired to inspect a tower 2.5 nm NE of Souix City, how high are you allowed to fly doing the inspection" The options on the test will be MSL,or AGL,, and since obstacles are marked on the charts as AGL, and the tower is 600' (they will make you find the tower on the chart and determine the height from the chart markings) the correct answer knowing you are allowed to fly 400' higher than the structure is 1000' AGL

I suggest you read Section 107.51, drones can fly above 400 feet if they are flying within the vicinity of a structure. The working of this exception is that manned aircraft will also adjust their cruising altitude when they pass over any large structures.

(PS I am non current Part 61, with seat time as recent as 2 weeks ago with an Instructor, I am current 107 and was one of the first people to re-current online 4/6 via the new online system... I am pretty sure I know what I am talking about when I tell someone it is legal to exceed 400' to avoid loss of aircraft or other emergency.... the same rules apply to Part 61, we can do whatever is needed to save the aircraft rules be damned and I remember that quite clearly not only from Ground School but from various instructors and my FAA Examiner.)
Hope you’re never faced with the problem. Best of luck. Perhaps our own @BigAl07 can offer insight.
No argument about the rules within stated proximity to unavoidable obstacles.

Reactions: BigAl07
I'd rather risk being asked to submit a report to the FAA upon request for busting into airspace above 400' AGL than HAVE TO submit a report for a loss of aircraft that caused more than minor personal injury or damage to personal property exceeding $500 dollars.

If the FAA comes after you for busting thru the floor of Class air space trying to avoid a bird, and you cause a plane to take evasive action or you damage that aircraft by not yielding the right of way, you were already flying like an idiot and you deserve what you get.

I'd rather risk being asked to submit a report to the FAA ...

If the FAA comes after you for busting thru the floor of Class air space trying to avoid a bird, and you cause a plane to take evasive action or you damage that aircraft by not yielding the right of way, you were already flying like an idiot and you deserve what you get.
.., my point exactly.
I think fines are administrative without any questions asked, but hope you never have the problem. I just avoid birds, etc.

Birds of Prey will certainly challenge your sUAV if they feel their territory is encroached upon

This is why it is LEGAL to go above 400' AGL to get away from a bird attacking your sUAV, and why I do not have the hard limit for AGL set to 400, I normally have it set to 600' +.

The reasoning is a bird attacking your sUAV is more likely to break off a chase when you are CLIMBING, when you are diving your sUAV is assumed by the bird to be a weaker vulnerable prey.

I fly in Florida quite a bit and I have Eagles all around me, as well as other hunters.... so far I have been lucky but I am always looking for them as I fly

Neggy, with all due respect that doesn't work out right. I know you posted the "Details" to the regs and all but I can tell you right now, putting Manned Aircraft in jeopardy to avoid a perceived Bird Attack on your UAS is not going to cut it with the FAA. I respect your airtime (manned and otherwise) but busting the regs to avoid a bird merely says, "I'm putting the value of my UAS over the value of Manned Aircraft and Human LIFE!"

Your hypothetical is like saying, "It's ok to drive on the sidewalk possibly into pedestrians to avoid a pothole and possible damage to my car because I deem it an EMERGENCY!". Not gonna fly. There is a lot more at stake than just worrying about submitting the report to the FAA about busting the REGS... think BIG PICTURE not just the value of our consumer grade UAS.

Read my post #7... do you think I would have been "Ok" to enter into the Departure path of the runway I was flying next to in order to keep the Crow from attacking my aircraft? NEGATIVE!! The UAS value is miniscule in the real scheme of things and risking UAS to Manned Aircraft incident is UNACCEPTABLE!!

Just for fun I suggest you contact your FSDO and ask them how the field reps would react to you busting REGS in order to outrun a bird harassing your UAS. Be sure to mention you're flying above regulation Alt for an unknown height and amount of time in the hopes you can outfly the bird. Here's the contact for you:

Tampa FSDO-Contact the Office​

5601 Mariner Street
Suite 310
Tampa, FL 33609-3416

Phone: (813) 287-4900
Email the Office
Fax: (813) 287-4940

Reactions: Thomas B
Yes but not nearly as fast as a bird can dive.
Falcon’s can dive at over 200 MPH :eek:

Keeping that in mind for future reference. Dang!! [emoji573]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair