DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying close to people

This is one of those times when....if you think you might not like the answer don’t ask the question.....please?

This could be read 2 different ways so I'm going to go to the worse case and comment:

If you're insinuating flying "over" someone, they must be part of the Flight Crew in order to fly over them. Some people mistakenly believe that so long as the people are aware of the risk and "approve" the flight over them it's perfectly legal. That is very much NOT the case. Even if they sign releases, seal it with their blood and pinky swear it's OK with them it's still ILLEGAL to fly over people who are not part of the Flight Crew. I fully understand you may not have meant "Flight OVER People" at all but it's better to be clear about this to nip any myths in the bud.

Also, from an official stand point - If there is an incident between a person and UAS the UAS operator has not sufficiently taken enough care/caution to eliminate the risk to people/persons.
Couldn't one simply make everyone present part of the Flight Crew? Is there some FAA restriction that limits the number of flight crew members?

Here in Australia the CAA make it quite clear. 30m minimum and only those involved in the flight allowed in that area. This means waivers etc cannot be used. Not saying that this is always easy to comply with. i do much of my flying at the beach and on occasions I have had people come out form the dunes near my UAV. I just fly directly away as fast as I can when I become aware of them.

Reactions: Simmo
Couldn't one simply make everyone present part of the Flight Crew? Is there some FAA restriction that limits the number of flight crew members?

They have to be an acting member of the flight crew "responsible" for the safety of the flight. Pilot, RPIC, VO, Safety Officer etc. They must be briefed on their tasks and safety measures.

Granted you could say, "All of you are now Visual Observers" but if there's an incident will your "Briefing" pass the scrutiny of an FAA and NTSB inspector? At some point we hope common sense and your Moral Compass come into play.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Again common sense. Don't get yourself into a situation where someone could be injured. And don't try to impress people as just like Harleys with no mufflers people are irritated not impressed. The last few years the police chief wanted me to fly over a annual harvest crowds and I refused due to safety concerns. Getting sued is not a good way to fly.

Yes, follow your country's rules and regulations pertaining to flight over people. In the US, if "people" is the general public, not part of the crew (actors, techs, pilots, etc), it is not legal to fly over them. It is as simple as that! In the sample video provided in the original question, the "people" are part of the "crew" or participating actors of the video. Flying at the beach over people is illegal, but flying over the water to video people at the beach would be OK.

You also have to be aware of keeping and respecting the privacy of the "people". As a general rule, do not fly over "people"!

Reactions: AirShark
Actually, the mavic is fairly safe flying by people. It doesn't just all of a sudden go crazy as long as you have GPS. I would recommend being in tripod mode.

Reactions: Doodi
§ 107.39 Operation over human beings.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being unless that human being is:
(a) Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft;

I guess the question is how do you interpret "Directly participating in the operation". If the operation is specifically to film the individual does that count? I would believe so. Take precautions, take safety into account, and remember a falling drone without props is like a falling rock. It will hurt someone.

If the operation is specifically to film the individual does that count? I would believe so.

Open to interpretation, that's for sure.
If something happened though, does a pilot want to be explaining at some inquiry / court proceedings that they have a better understanding of this than the FAA ?

and remember a falling drone without props is like a falling rock.

and a falling drone with props and motors going is like a falling rock with lawnmower blades doing anywhere from 500 to many thousands of RPM.

What I'm saying is that if your participants are part of the process and the reason for your flight you might not be discussing it with the FAA at all. Reach out to your local FAA for clarification. There not Baba Yaga.

They have to be an acting member of the flight crew "responsible" for the safety of the flight. Pilot, RPIC, VO, Safety Officer etc. They must be briefed on their tasks and safety measures.

Granted you could say, "All of you are now Visual Observers" but if there's an incident will your "Briefing" pass the scrutiny of an FAA and NTSB inspector? At some point we hope common sense and your Moral Compass come into play.
That works! ? Common sense says avoiding incidents should be the first priority, while staying in at least technical compliance with all the rules. If everyone else present is a visual observer, they will all be constantly paying attention to the aircraft, and that can only be a good thing!

Yes, follow your country's rules and regulations pertaining to flight over people. In the US, if "people" is the general public, not part of the crew (actors, techs, pilots, etc), it is not legal to fly over them. It is as simple as that! In the sample video provided in the original question, the "people" are part of the "crew" or participating actors of the video. Flying at the beach over people is illegal, but flying over the water to video people at the beach would be OK.

You also have to be aware of keeping and respecting the privacy of the "people". As a general rule, do not fly over "people"!

Actors are not part of the Flight Crew and as such are not allowed to be flown over w/o a COA or ~107.39 Waiver.

I assume its a bad idea to fly a mavic close to people. even if you go slow and they know you're doing it. or am i wrong? I see a lot of videos online of people flying mavics close to people. even this dji one with the mini mavic

i have a cinewhoop drone which has bumpers on it and meant to go slow and you can fly it around your friends. if you bump into anything it just bounces off.

Doodi
I have Mavic pro and never fly around people which saved me some stress one day when flying in a harbour, no people about thankfully because when I hit take off it went crazy at high speed and crashed, you never can be sure.

Actors are not part of the Flight Crew and as such are not allowed to be flown over w/o a COA or ~107.39 Waiver.
Unless you are NOT part 107 then it is ok as long as it is not a group of people,

wow! lots of replies. thank you guys. lots to think about. think i got the rules down. and then you got to think about what is safe even if its ok with the rules. right?

I am going to go slow. my friend has a mavic and is gonna wear his thick jacket and smack my mavic if it get too close! lol! i better be careful!

Doodi

Reactions: BigAl07
Unless you are NOT part 107 then it is ok as long as it is not a group of people,

So I was responding to a post that specifically said "Actors".... how many HOBBY operators are going to be flying over ACTORS?

By the way.... how many Actors does it take to make a GROUP of People? The FAA allows a lot of Grey Area on purpose. If there is an incident it gives you more room to hang yourself.

Reactions: Thomas B
So I was responding to a post that specifically said "Actors".... how many HOBBY operators are going to be flying over ACTORS?

By the way.... how many Actors does it take to make a GROUP of People? The FAA allows a lot of Grey Area on purpose. If there is an incident it gives you more room to hang yourself.

what if they are just extras? lol! do they count less? or more? ha ha.

i'm a camera man on tv shows. sometimes we have drone guys and they fly over everyone. i am surprised to see the rules say you shoudnt.

and look at the vid i just posted. i guess he didn't fly over her. lol. poor girl.

Doodi.

The only way to get a waiver and fly over people (and it is expensive) . . .

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro