DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying drone in China?

Reactions
Hi guys,

I will be traveling to China this summer and have questions on the following places I will be visiting:

Beijing - I've seen videos of the Mavic being flown on the Great Wall of China. Are there any current restrictions? Would I Need to ask for permission to fly on the Great Wall?

Xian - Any restrictions?

Chengdu - Any restrictions?

Yangtze River - I will be on a cruise ship and would like to take aerial videos of the river, mountains, and three gorges, etc. Any restrictions on flying drone here?

Shanghai - Any restrictions?

Thanks guys!

Chris M.

I was just in China with my Mavic. No problem traveling with it in and out of airports. Asked a guide when I was at the Great Wall, and he just kind of shrugged, so I went way up where there were very few people and discreetly as possible launched it. I loved the footage, so glad I did it.
On the Yangtze I launched when we were off the ship . Our cabin was at the back, big deck no one on it. Though about taking off when we were docked, but never did. Could ask a crew member, they may not care.
Would avoid flying near the dam, but you get good shots with a regular camera from the hill between the dam and locks.
In the cities just look at a few of the apps and see what is allowed. I know Beijing is pretty much a no fly zone, not sure about the other cities.
Glad I took the Mavic despite very few opportunities to fly, whole trip was a great experience. I hope you enjoy it!

I was just in China with my Mavic. No problem traveling with it in and out of airports. Asked a guide when I was at the Great Wall, and he just kind of shrugged, so I went way up where there were very few people and discreetly as possible launched it. I loved the footage, so glad I did it.
On the Yangtze I launched when we were off the ship . Our cabin was at the back, big deck no one on it. Though about taking off when we were docked, but never did. Could ask a crew member, they may not care.
Would avoid flying near the dam, but you get good shots with a regular camera from the hill between the dam and locks.
In the cities just look at a few of the apps and see what is allowed. I know Beijing is pretty much a no fly zone, not sure about the other cities.
Glad I took the Mavic despite very few opportunities to fly, whole trip was a great experience. I hope you enjoy it!

Awesome! Thanks for the tips! How many batteries were you able to bring on the plane in a carry-on bag for the Mavic? I was debating between 2-3 batteries.

Also, I'd like to see you video clips with the Mavic on your China trip. Do you have a online link on YouTube or something?

Awesome! Thanks for the tips! How many batteries were you able to bring on the plane in a carry-on bag for the Mavic? I was debating between 2-3 batteries.

Also, I'd like to see you video clips with the Mavic on your China trip. Do you have a online link on YouTube or something?
Never did post anything, accept a bit of the Wall here. Still getting around to putting together a short home video of the whole trip, I'm a great procrastinator . Honestly, I had enough electronics with me, so decided on just two batteries; did me fine.

Lots of pics here....

Last edited:
In beijing they have restrictions in side 6th ring road,that's means you are only allowed to fly outside the 6th ring .

Reactions: RogCIncy
I live in Shanghai.

Main issue is the constant adjusting of the airport NFZs. The DJI Go app keeps that all under control. Max height is legally 120m anywhere, some places the DJI Go app enforces that (e.g. near the airport NFZ) other places they cleanse themselves of any responsibility.

As for licenses. You don't have a problem with flying your Mavic Pro here. The restrictions and licenses are aimed for commercial work and over 7kg drones. Additionally, to register the drone here which is *sort of* suggested, requires you to complete everything in chinese.

No body will hassle you in Shanghai unless its private property (never happened) or they want to see what you're filming/doing out of curiosity.

I've never had a problem with flying my drone here in the city, just be careful, be smart and be polite.

My friends have flown on the Bund and there is a stack of footage from in and around Shanghai, including my own.

Reactions: 5kywa1ker
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78