DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying from a cruise ship

We are off on a cruise next week and was wondering what the verdict was on taking off/landing from the deck of the ship.

I can imagine that the compass could get confused by such a large lump of metal, but does anyone have any experience or guidance?

Thanks.
Yes the metal will cause issues as well as flying from a moving object, as soon as you take off with GPS, the drone will attempt to hold position while the ship and all of its parts move away which can cause unexpected collisions. You will also need to consider what would happen if there is a controller disconnect and RTH kicks in.
I would not risk it, if even allowed.

How would they know you had a drone unless you told them?

I was actually able to walk on board the cruise with my drone on departure but when i took it off and was getting back on in first stop they made me open my pack after it went thru xray and then it was confiscated until the next port. They give you documentation of seizure

Good debate guys!

My initial post was only kind of theoretical about actually taking off from the deck, wouldn’t have actually done that.

But... MASSIVE learning point is that I didn’t even consider I might not be able to take the drone onboard full stop!! So I’m so pleased I asked the question!

I have emailed the cruise company to see if I can take it. I will be disappointed if not, but better to find out now rather than trying to board with it.

I went on a Carnival cruise in December and they let me take it on board no problem, but they strictly prohibit the use of drones while on the ship. It is your responsibility to know the drone laws/rules for the ports you visit, so do your homework first. In my opinion it was worth it for me.

The notion of a "radar bubble" is nonsense. Too much Star Trek watching about force fields. (For starters he pointed to an aerial dome which was most likely housing a Sat TV aerial) He did not loose control, even had a video up to the last seconds. Therefore he didn't even suffer from interference which you would expect from the massive lump of steel. I reckon he totally underestimated wind, turbulences caused by the ship and the ship's own speed.
My guess is he probably didn't disable the max distance from homepoint, which is the default. Once he took off, the ship moved further away from the homepoint and at some point the drone could not follow anymore. Happened to me while flying from a big cargo ship. I disabled this feature in the middle of the flight and got back safely to the ship. Compass is affected so you have to be careful. Also collision avoidance does not understand the ship is moving so it considers the ship a static obstacle. You have to disable it or use sport mode (carefully!)

I have taken Phantom 3 advanced, Phantom 4 and Mavic Pro on many cruises I have been on.
Yes, I was asked "what is it", be honest and tell them that you only intend to do with the drone !.
Definitely don't even try to fly it from the ship or near it !, it will get Radar/Radio interference, I know, been there done that!.
Your drone will have a mind of its own !.
If you are going to fly it, somewhere !, pick out of the way places, as I did, that are not near the ship.
I did take off (with permission from the authorities at the Port) in a port in Norway, about 150 yards from the ship, wide open space, no one around.
Took of and flew along the length of the ship, at distance.
Took the drone (Mavic Pro) up to approx. 100 ft, it went mental, and went off in a direction of its own accord, dropped altitude and regained control !.
After that landed, and swiftly went on board for a stiff drink at the bar !.
The interesting thing is that , NEVER once was I stopped at any port, (afterpassing my gear through X Ray) and questioned.
My advice ,put your drone (Mavic) in with your camera gear, worked every time for me !!

Here is the video of the Mavic, having a mind of its own !
You can see from the horizon that it went off at speed !

Last edited:
I brought mine on a cruise last year. Security didn’t notice it. It was in a case not much bigger than the drone itself. I took it off in every port and flew, had no issues getting it back on board. I think if your case is small and casual you’re not so likely to have a problem transporting it.

As far as flying from the ship goes, I think security would probably have an issue. Also port security would have an issue.. and for sure all the metal of the ship would give you compass errors until it’s in the air, I think it would be a risky launch and landing. Better to launch from land and do a flyby. Lastly, launching while the ship is moving would be extra hard because the drone wouldn’t follow the motion - as soon as it’s in the air it would stay still relative to the earth while the ship keeps moving. Landing would have the same issue.

Is there any chance the problem you had was because of a bad compass calibration (or no calibration before your flight after travelling a big distance to get to this cruise or port)? Remember if it doesn’t trust the compass it will go to Atti mode.

I have taken Phantom 3 advanced, Phantom 4 and Mavic Pro on many cruises I have been on.
Yes, I was asked "what is it", be honest and tell them that you only intend to do with the drone !.
Definitely don't even try to fly it from the ship or near it !, it will get Radar/Radio interference, I know, been there done that!.
Your drone will have a mind of its own !.
If you are going to fly it, somewhere !, pick out of the way places, as I did, that are not near the ship.
I did take off (with permission from the authorities at the Port) in a port in Norway, about 150 yards from the ship, wide open space, no one around.
Took of and flew along the length of the ship, at distance.
Took the drone (Mavic Pro) up to approx. 100 ft, it went mental, and went off in a direction of its own accord, dropped altitude and regained control !.
After that landed, and swiftly went on board for a stiff drink at the bar !.
The interesting thing is that , NEVER once was I stopped at any port, (afterpassing my gear through X Ray) and questioned.
My advice ,put your drone (Mavic) in with your camera gear, worked every time for me !!

Reactions: EricD
Is there any chance the problem you had was because of a bad compass calibration (or no calibration before your flight after travelling a big distance to get to this cruise or port)? Remember if it doesn’t trust the compass it will go to Atti mode.
Nope!, done a calibration, and an update that morning, well away from the ship, and any likely issues would have shown up in my earlier flight just across the bay from the ship.
(I had days before, been in Tromso, had no problem flying there what so ever)
There was certainly some external force affecting the drone, Never had this before with any of the drones I have flown

Its funny, while on my last cruise to Norway one of the crew (The Matre De of the restaurant) noticed I had a drone and told me that he HAD one.
He then told me that he had bought it in one of their ports of call.
Decided the next day to fly it from the flat swimming pool area at the rear of the ship.
Promptly watched the drone take off vertically, then shoot off the back of the ship, never to be seen again. The ship at the time was doing 18 knots !!
Expensive lesson for him to learn !.
But, was blown away with the footage I showed him of the Mavic on my phone.
We exchanged many stories over a meal and a drink in the restaurant.
Needless to say my meals were done to perfection every night for the rest of the cruise !.
(not that they were not already good, as you would expect on any cruise ship !)

Reactions: BrAinZ
I don't buy the "radar bubble" theory or the "metal" affecting the compass causing an issue. Both ships and aircraft are metal, yet their compasses work. Radar 10Ghz, drone 2.4Ghz, not even close. Before I would believe these as a factor you need to rule out that the ship is moving, home area, RTH, air current wasn't a factor, which I believe one or more were.

If you believe the radar or metal theory please explain how this video was made.

I don't buy the "radar bubble" theory or the "metal" affecting the compass causing an issue. Both ships and aircraft are metal, yet their compasses work. Radar 10Ghz, drone 2.4Ghz, not even close. Before I would believe these as a factor you need to rule out that the ship is moving, home area, RTH, air current wasn't a factor, which I believe one or more were.

If you believe the radar or metal theory please explain how this video was made.
well, for a start you are wrong about it being Wifi ! (in respect of the video you have just posted) the Phantom 4 uses Ocusync, another ball game, the same system that the Mavic Pro uses !.
If that's the case, then have you ever tried taking off from the deck of a cruise ship?. My bet is no !
I have (in my early days) the first thing that happens it reports "strong magnetic interference".
So if that's the case, is that down to the metal or the radar?
You are obviously talking about a subject you clearly know nothing about, or you have not personally experienced !

Last edited:
Reactions: BrAinZ
Hi all, I'm seafarer and with my experience I can tell you ships radar or port radars will not disturb drone or RC. I have flew many times around them no problems. Legality of doing this is an other matter. Definitely you need permission form the ships owners and port authority.

Reactions: fiberdude
well, for a start you are wrong about it being Wifi ! (in respect of the video you have just posted) the Phantom 4 uses Ocusync, another ball game, the same system that the Mavic Pro uses !.
If that's the case, then have you ever tried taking off from the deck of a cruise ship?. My bet is no !
I have (in my early days) the first thing that happens it reports "strong magnetic interference".
So if that's the case, is that down to the metal or the radar?
You are obviously talking about a subject you clearly know nothing about, or you have not personally experienced !
It always amazes me how the "experts" pop up to tell someone they are wrong. Sir, you have no idea of my background or experience. I saw no explanation from you of how the video I posted was shot. Care to explain in place of the personal attach?

Here is another example of drone and ship.

Ocusync is nothing more than a brand name for the process used to communicate. Here is an example: Note the frequency used. Same as in my original post. I never said anything about wifi....

141238gc00kdxpxjgt6fpj.png

Last edited:
It might be useful to document which cruise lines allow, and which do not allow drones on board. AFAIK, none allow flying on board.

I have taken my drone aboard a Ponant lines ship to Iceland provided I kept it stored at the front desk unless I was taking it ashore.
I have been totally denied the opportunity to take it aboard any Holland America ship at any time for any reason.

I would like to hear about other specific ship lines policies and river cruise lines as well.

It might be useful to document which cruise lines allow, and which do not allow drones on board. AFAIK, none allow flying on board.

I have taken my drone aboard a Ponant lines ship to Iceland provided I kept it stored at the front desk unless I was taking it ashore.
I have been totally denied the opportunity to take it aboard any Holland America ship at any time for any reason.

I would like to hear about other specific ship lines policies and river cruise lines as well.
This info concerns me and I'll do more digging into this. My wife and I are taking a Holland America trip to Alaska this summer, the land and sea version. I'm hoping to take a Mavic Pro with me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams