DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying from a parked car

Flew my M2P last week 2.5 miles out over Lake Okeechobee in southern Florida from the comfort of my front seat. Window down with antennas pointed out over the lake. Could've went further but chickened out! Precision landing was perfect from 400 feet right in front of the car...Screenshot (293).png

On the weekend I flew my Mavic mini form my car about 250m away, around devils pit in Hamilton Canada, did not get a single message about signal etc, took off from my Camry roof and landed on it.

Reactions: fuzzball
I live in upper Michigan winters and I've done it with no problems. I launch at least 10 ft. from my car with no mag issues. I'm using 7 inch whips with jkson5 mod. No signal issues, but then I'm only going out about 3000 ft. or so using strobes to keep visual.

Reducing the range is correct. As a radio operator it is my understanding that a vehicle reduces the range of a radio signal by 30 percent.

I would expect the same with the controller.

Tim

Occusync has no magic advantage over so called lightbridge, enhanced wifi or what ever name might be given to a transmission scheme- to the extent the frequencies used are in the same bands you should expect signal degradation to effect all proportionately.

Operating from inside the vehicle will reduce range. Many have used external antennas.

I would say 60% of the time winter or summer I fly from within my truck the other 40% I am on my motorcycles so I duck under a tree or in a building. Mostly to keep the sun off the screen and in winter absolutely to stay warm. Now the VLOS people go nuts over this but as I stated many times the VLOS is a dream and not a practical option as most flights even short ones are well beyond even superman's VLOS.
The only true downside is possible erratic behavior with the spark and MA but the M2z is perfect for this as the connection is very solid.

Reactions: Thanev
I use the toueau cover on the pick up as a launching pad.
Almost all my flying is from the seat of the pick up.
Ive not noticed any problems with signal strength, or compass
The steering wheel makes a nice holder for my iPad.

Reactions: dirkclod and Thanev
I am interested in launching my Mavic Pro 2,then returning to my vehicle for the sake of keeping warm during these cool Canadian winters.The vehicle would remain parked.I am sure drones with wifi would have issues,but Ocusync?
Has anyone had any experience in doing this? I plan on keeping a window open and the heater on high while flying.Would interference from the vehicle create loss of signal issues?
I have done it often without issues with my MP1. I didn't bother with opening windows and flew FPV. Nice and warm. I parked where I could see the launch/landing site and stayed toasty warm.

Did this morning but see more have posted since I went out to show OP and gonna post it anyway.
Messed up by forgetting to start screen recorder and came back and started over.To much Turkey in me I guess. Was stormy bad last nite but clear today other than the wind which you can seee in my compass.
Enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing. Can I ask how it was that the drone dropped to an altitude of thirty feet on the RTH leg. I thought it would maintain the preset altitude the whole distance.

I have done this many times and other than loosing a little range it works great. As a bonus you can see your screen much better. Just be sure you take off and land at least 20 feet away from your vehicle to avoid magnetic interference.

Reactions: Thanev
Did this morning but see more have posted since I went out to show OP and gonna post it anyway.
Messed up by forgetting to start screen recorder and came back and started over.To much Turkey in me I guess. Was stormy bad last nite but clear today other than the wind which you can seee in my compass.
I’ve never see that attitude warning before. I guess I don’t do enough backwards flying. Were you in sport mode?

I’ve never see that attitude warning before. I guess I don’t do enough backwards flying. Were you in sport mode?
No. And would have to go back and look at original screenshot and see that. I was never high and fly there all the time and don’t ever remember seeing it.

No. And would have to go back and look at original screenshot and see that. I was never high and fly there all the time and don’t ever remember seeing it.
OK hactick i just went back and looked and saw this Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 1.40.17 PM.png
and guess it is just when flying backwards and reall have no idea what Attitude is too large means
to be honest .

and reall have no idea what Attitude is too large means
to be honest .
My guess is the attitude is not level and the angle it is on is too large that the sensor is looking too far up or down instead of forward or backward to function properly (if that makes sense).

EDIT: Or DJI needs a better translator...

• Haha
Reactions: dirkclod
My guess is the attitude is not level and the angle it is on is too large that the sensor is looking too far up or down instead of forward or backward to function properly (if that makes sense).

EDIT: Or DJI needs a better translator...
That is what it means. Attitude means pitch or roll angle. Too much pitch and the OA sensors aren't able to properly see where you're actually going, since the cameras are fixed to the AC body.

Gee I just hacked my spark to go 40mph I wonder if this will be an issueo_O

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas