DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying further than LOS

I always fly in LOS, and try to stay within VLOS, but sometimes I have problems actually seeing my Mavic as it gets very hard to see when it is far away. I get extremely nervous when this happens and will bring it back to where I can easily see it.

Hey really? Can you please.me with details.

I actually have a spare Mavic Pro remote. I'm waiting to see if DJI releases a Mavic 2 remote with a built in screen. If they do I'll happily sell my spare MP remote I planned to use for second screen purposes.

I actually have a spare Mavic Pro remote. I'm waiting to see if DJI releases a Mavic 2 remote with a built in screen. If they do I'll happily sell my spare MP remote I planned to use for second screen purposes.
Ok awesome please let me know

Of course, there will be all the support for beyond VLOS flights from the scoff laws BUT. I might also point out that it is just these kind of flights that account for almost all of the lost Mavic threads. The only known collisions between drones and manned aircraft are a result of just this type of flying. And more than half of the people that have received tickets for a flight were beyond VLOS.
Laws and rules are made to be broken as some say. Laws and rules are more often as a result of those activities going bad.
Do what you will, it is entirely your risk. Be aware that most drone related fines are in the tens of thousands of dollars. Maybe buy a real aircraft and fulfill your long range flight dreams legally.
Thank you for your feedback on this.

I always fly VLOS ... for the entire 40 odd seconds as I am on my way to go and check if all is well at points on the farm up to 5 or 6km out. After having flown 164 hours old faithful still happily returns home

Reactions: abtocmeptb
Of course, there will be all the support for beyond VLOS flights from the scoff laws BUT. I might also point out that it is just these kind of flights that account for almost all of the lost Mavic threads. The only known collisions between drones and manned aircraft are a result of just this type of flying. And more than half of the people that have received tickets for a flight were beyond VLOS.
Laws and rules are made to be broken as some say. Laws and rules are more often as a result of those activities going bad.
Do what you will, it is entirely your risk. Be aware that most drone related fines are in the tens of thousands of dollars. Maybe buy a real aircraft and fulfill your long range flight dreams legally.

Sure after thousands of dollars of pilot school, not to mention the plane itself. In any case, I also drive faster than the posted speed limit, check out 14 items in the 12 items or less lane AND tear the "do not remove" tags from my mattresses! BuhahHa! SCOFFLAW FOR LIFE!!!

I'm sorry I have a hard time believing anyone that says they never lose sight of their drone. If it's true, you're like old men that buy Corvettes! I'm not talking about running it the full 5 miles or whatever but having eyes on the whole time would make it pretty difficult to line up shots. You may as well not have a screen at all.

Reactions: LongRifle
I lose sight of my drone every time I fly! Seriously, the thing is tiny. You look at the controller to get a shot and then look back up and, "Dude, where's my drone?". I routinely send mine out 3-4000 feet getting the shots that I want. I don't care who you are, over 1000' and it's barely a dot.
I agree, i fly beyond VLOS every time i fly, but i make sure my map is accurate so if i have a disconnect i know how to get back without visual contact. As long as i get close i can hear it about 300 feet away then bring Phoenix home.

Hi guys, I have a general question concerning fly my MPP further than LOS. First off all I understand that most of you will advise against flying beyond LOS my questions are

1. Do all pilots strictly fly in LOS?

2. If I crash my Mavic and I flew beyond LOS, does it affect my warranty claim?

3. Why are their so many companies like drone world that advertise range extenders? Will adding one to my controller void my warranty?

I am curious about this, as I am so tempted to fly a little beyond LOS and wanted to install a mod attenna kit.
I fly 100% VLOS without exception. I have never lost my drone and never crashed my drone and have no problems ever with anyone. Just because my drone will travel 1 mile away doesn't mean that I should send it one mile away. My car will go 120mph but I don't drive 120mph because it isn't safe, smart, or the law. If you want to take photos of some place that is a mile away then drive closer to the place.

Yet we all see the Idiots that post YouTube footage of flying their Drones disappearing into the horizon to see just how far it will go.

Yet we all see the Idiots that post YouTube footage of flying their Drones disappearing into the horizon to see just how far it will go.

Yes but in my mind that is too different debates. There's a middle ground between the holier than thou, "I never lose sight of my drone ever" and the "I flew my drone 10,000 feet high/20 miles away" crowd.

Reactions: bbooty
I fly 100% VLOS without exception. I have never lost my drone and never crashed my drone and have no problems ever with anyone. Just because my drone will travel 1 mile away doesn't mean that I should send it one mile away. My car will go 120mph but I don't drive 120mph because it isn't safe, smart, or the law. If you want to take photos of some place that is a mile away then drive closer to the place.

Yea but I bet you've gone 75 mph in a 70 mph zone, right? It's not about maxing out the distance for most people. I mean if you all wanna get righteous, then I suppose that you've never flown behind anything either? Like getting an orbit shot? Nah I'm sure that you walk around the building/object while your drone circles it.

Apart from the most basic shots, I'm not sure how some of you get any interesting footage?

Reactions: JDawg
VLOS is not the law in many countries around the world. Flying beyond in one of those places, hardly makes those who choose to do so “Idiots’ !

Reactions: JDawg
I fly my Mavic Air out as far as I can see it comfortably, then I take 10% and subtract that distance from the total and put that # in my distance allowed to fly. It gives me piece of mind and it lets me know max dist reached for my eyes. That # can fluctuate with weather conditions.
Which piece of your mind does it give you? :)

Well, for hobbyist drone pilots, keeping your drone in your visual line of sight is no longer a rule or recommendation, it is now the law. Trump signed HR 302 yesterday and now it is the law of the land (U.S.).

So, now when U.S.-based "idiots" fly their drone beyond VLOS they are breaking the law. While out of VLOS, If there is an incident causing damage or injury, the pilot could be found guilty of negligence. As far as the law is concerned, negligence is a whole different ballgame than "accident".

This forum is filled with stories from people that have said, in effect, "I didn't know XYZ was going to happen. I didn't intend for it to happen. It was an accident." Well, now the lawyers will have plenty of teeth to get a sympathetic judge or jury to make you pay and pay big for your negligence.

Mark

Do people ever fly out of VLOS? Oh, hell yes, take a good look at some of the videos on YouTube for that answer. ("I flew my MA (in the USA) to a distance of 5.37 miles and had to ditch on the way back", videos available on the www). Truthfully, how would one be expected to see a shoebox or smaller object moving directly away at a speed of 20+ MPH at a distance of greater than 3 miles??? Most of us , ok me, probably cannot see it anymore at a distance of 1/2 mile. And the SOB is still moving?!?! FAA does allow for VOs (in contact with the PIC) to be positioned to help maintain VLOS. Still, that is a considerable distance.

Flying beyond you VLOS should not truly affect your warranty, but I don't work for DJI.

Extenders, if properly installed, should not void warranty. Again, I don't work for DJI.

If I had to stay within VLOS all the time, then the drone is worthless to me. I don't use it to take videos or photos, I use it for surveillance purposes. I don't fly higher than +-50 meters, which is about 10 meters higher than the HV power lines that run over our property.

Reactions: Rockisy
This is now the law in the U.S. with regard to recreational (hobbyist) drone use:

SEC. 349. EXCEPTION FOR LIMITED RECREATIONAL OPERATIONS OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT.
(a) In General.—Chapter 448 of title 49, United States Code, as added by this Act, is further amended by adding at the end the following:

Ҥ 44809. Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft

“(a) In General.—Except as provided in subsection (e), and notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations:

“(1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.

“(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization’s set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.

“(3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator.

“(4) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft.

“(5) In Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport, the operator obtains prior authorization from the Administrator or designee before operating and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

“(6) In Class G airspace, the aircraft is flown from the surface to not more than 400 feet above ground level and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

“(7) The operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g) and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.

“(8) The aircraft is registered and marked in accordance with chapter 441 of this title and proof of registration is made available to the Administrator or a designee of the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.

See #3. VLOS is no longer a CBO rule, it's the law.

Mark

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Couple of things on VLOS . . everyone is different but typically anyone with 20/20 vision should see a Mavic out to around 1400ft BUT . . . you can concentrate and reliably follow one out to over 2200ft. The difficulty is if you blink or look away you will lose it even if it is stationary. I've tested this several times . . the ability to reacquire is lost after around 1400ft. . . except at night. . . then with a Strobon or other blinking light I have reliably watched a Mavic out to 6500ft . . again the difficulty here is if you are staying legal (below400ft altitude and VLOS) then at 6500ft many other blinking lights will easily confuse if you look away or blink. I think I was first (in Canada at least) to fly VLOS legally at over a mile. It's called FVLOS (Forward VLOS). Using this method I believe over 3 miles is legal at night under clear conditions. Here's how it's legal.

I bet @LonDenard will still fly his Mavic just a few feet farther than VLOS.
Just like he drives 75mph in a 70 zone, and the 12 items in his cart at the 10 or less checkout.
But hey, He is a real outlaw! :D

This is now the law in the U.S. with regard to recreational (hobbyist) drone use:

SEC. 349. EXCEPTION FOR LIMITED RECREATIONAL OPERATIONS OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT.
(a) In General.—Chapter 448 of title 49, United States Code, as added by this Act, is further amended by adding at the end the following:

Ҥ 44809. Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft

“(a) In General.—Except as provided in subsection (e), and notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations:

“(1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.

“(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization’s set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.

“(3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator.

“(4) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft.

“(5) In Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport, the operator obtains prior authorization from the Administrator or designee before operating and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

“(6) In Class G airspace, the aircraft is flown from the surface to not more than 400 feet above ground level and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

“(7) The operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g) and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.

“(8) The aircraft is registered and marked in accordance with chapter 441 of this title and proof of registration is made available to the Administrator or a designee of the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.

See #3. VLOS is no longer a CBO rule, it's the law.

Mark

Wasn’t aware that the FAA Reauthorization Act had been signed into law yet...seems Trump signed it yesterday.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro