DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying further than LOS

redserv

Reactions
Hi guys, I have a general question concerning fly my MPP further than LOS. First off all I understand that most of you will advise against flying beyond LOS my questions are

1. Do all pilots strictly fly in LOS?

2. If I crash my Mavic and I flew beyond LOS, does it affect my warranty claim?

3. Why are their so many companies like drone world that advertise range extenders? Will adding one to my controller void my warranty?

I am curious about this, as I am so tempted to fly a little beyond LOS and wanted to install a mod attenna kit.

FWIW, you're talking about VLOS (not LOS). You should always fly LOS if you don't want your drone to disconnect from the remote controller.

You will void your DJI warranty if you modify your remote controller.

Reactions: FMR
Things can happen esc motor battery anything can be defective
Go bad and it drops like a rock
When it does I suggest you stay
Los. people use range extenders
To penetrate trees houses and
Electronic interference you can
Fly out of line of sight and you
Can also play Russian roulette with a bullet mabye you win mabye you don’t

Reactions: FMR and JSKCKNIT
3. Why are their so many companies like drone world that advertise range extenders? Will adding one to my controller void my warranty?

I am curious about this, as I am so tempted to fly a little beyond LOS and wanted to install a mod attenna kit.
  1. Doubt it.
  2. Only if you can't find it.
  3. Passive range extenders i.e. the reflector type, would not affect a warranty because they do not alter the RC although there are varying opinions as to how well they work. If you have to open your RC then you are at risk. However, when you send in your MPP for repair they do not ask for the RC so I don't think they would be able to tell if the RC was modded.
Regarding your desire to fly "a little beyond LOS", the stock MPP should be able to do that without modifications.

Last edited:
Reactions: out1solo and Size13
Do people fly behind VLOS? All of the time. I'd say that most people do. Is that illegal? Yep. So is driving 66mph in a 65mph zone.

Only flying behind VLOS would not void the warranty. You can feel free to read the warranty, it is online. DJI would need to show that you violated the terms of the warranty or that your actions caused the loss.

Ill admit
when i fly litchi waypoint missions its out of sight all the time.
However I dont recall a single time when I was controlling drone myself AND out of sight.
It always churns my guts when I send it away.

You guys are the best thank you for all the great feedback your views are much appreciated.

Ill admit
when i fly litchi waypoint missions its out of sight all the time.
However I dont recall a single time when I was controlling drone myself AND out of sight.
It always churns my guts when I send it away.

It's funny, it always "churns my guts" when I send my mavic away as well. But I don't have Litchi so all my missions are with me at the controls. 2 or 3 km out and I'm always sooo glad to hear that familiar sound on the way back home.

Reactions: maverickau
I lose sight of my drone every time I fly! Seriously, the thing is tiny. You look at the controller to get a shot and then look back up and, "Dude, where's my drone?". I routinely send mine out 3-4000 feet getting the shots that I want. I don't care who you are, over 1000' and it's barely a dot.

Everybody flies it out beyond VLOS at some point. Most people do it every flight. Stock antennas can do it just fine. I get 13000 feet quite easily with stock antennas and little interference.

Reactions: lweekspors
Everybody flies it out beyond VLOS at some point. Most people do it every flight. Stock antennas can do it just fine. I get 13000 feet quite easily with stock antennas and little interference.
I was thinking about buying another remote controller for my Mavic Platinum pro (used) and modding it with drone world antennas. 13000 feet is pretty impressive for stock.

Hi guys, I have a general question concerning fly my MPP further than LOS. First off all I understand that most of you will advise against flying beyond LOS my questions are

I fly my Mavic Air out as far as I can see it comfortably, then I take 10% and subtract that distance from the total and put that # in my distance allowed to fly. It gives me piece of mind and it lets me know max dist reached for my eyes. That # can fluctuate with weather conditions.

Reactions: MaviCam
I fly my Mavic Air out as far as I can see it comfortably, then I take 10% and subtract that distance from the total and put that # in my distance allowed to fly. It gives me piece of mind and it lets me know max dist reached for my eyes. That # can fluctuate with weather conditions.
Great Idea. I think I will try that :)

I was thinking about buying another remote controller for my Mavic Platinum pro (used) and modding it with drone world antennas. 13000 feet is pretty impressive for stock.

Oh?... I might know someone that has a spare remote...

Of course, there will be all the support for beyond VLOS flights from the scoff laws BUT. I might also point out that it is just these kind of flights that account for almost all of the lost Mavic threads. The only known collisions between drones and manned aircraft are a result of just this type of flying. And more than half of the people that have received tickets for a flight were beyond VLOS.
Laws and rules are made to be broken as some say. Laws and rules are more often as a result of those activities going bad.
Do what you will, it is entirely your risk. Be aware that most drone related fines are in the tens of thousands of dollars. Maybe buy a real aircraft and fulfill your long range flight dreams legally.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimmy poole