DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in 4:3

Droning on and on...

Reactions
Small thing, but I like it, so I thought I'd share.

Some here are not aware that the image sensors on our drones are a 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:9. Old NTSC TV aspect ratio.

If you mostly shoot video, the camera feed will be 16:9, the top and bottom of the sensor cropped out. So you're missing some part of the view from the camera.

Here's the thing: You probably also then just fly around in 16:9 even when not recording. Missing part of the view.

I've been flying this way for 10 years. I do have photos configured for 4:3 so I don't miss any image data (can crop in post if I need 16:9). I took some stills today, and it occurred to me, why am I not flying in 4:3 photo mode when I'm not capturing anything?

So I did. And I like it. I feel I can see better and have more situational awareness when I can see that "extra" image from the top and bottom of the sensor.

It took some getting used to as it "feels" like you've lost some image on the left and right. Just gotta keep reminding yourself you're seeing more, not less.

I like it. I think I'll fly my camera drones this way from now on when I'm not capturing video.

D
Some here are not aware that the image sensors on our drones are a 4:3 aspect ratio, not
Depends on what you select in the settings! I use both. If the finished product is to be 16:9 that's what I set it on to see what the image will look like. If the finished product is to be 4:9 then that is the settings I use. I use the settings to "just fly around". I am a professional photographer and and my Air 3 is a "flying camera" and that is how I use it.

I don't understand why you would change the aspect ratio "just for viewing". Nonetheless, we all have our reasons for doing things.
So I did. And I like it.
Good for you! But if I were to use this setting to "just fly around" I like the wider view of the 16:9 ratio. So, it boils down to personal preference.

Good for you! But if I were to use this setting to "just fly around" I like the wider view of the 16:9 ratio. So, it boils down to personal preference.

I understand – there's an aesthetic aspect to it to be sure, as I said it was a bit uncomfortable at first, having flown around 16:9 so long.

I would point out that you're not seeing anything at 16:9 that I'm not seeing at 4:3. However I am seeing things that you are not at 16:9, which is the point of this thread.

16:9 is not actually a wider view... It's a cropped view.

When we are training new pilots we have them fly in Photo mode et to 4/3 for awhile specially flying close to buildings... down an alley etc... the 16:9 ration crops it in and has the effect of zooming in... so while navigating between obstacles, they appear much closer than they actually are (like the warning on your side mirror) and a novice pilot will overreact and over compensate...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoffreyBH