DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in airspace/NFZ without permisson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given airport authorities try and keep birds away from their premises so they don't get sucked into jet engines or strike the planes, common sense should prevail that a small drone poses similar risks.
Unfortunately common sense is not very common ? and people are prone to do stupid things without thinking of the consequences, hence we need all these regulations.

Reactions: deleted member 877
Unfortunately common sense is not very common ? and people are prone to do stupid things without thinking of the consequences, hence we need all these regulations.
The only problem with that analysis is only law abiding drone flyers will adhere to all these regulations. The miscreants and those with truly bad intentions never will. GEO helps keep the ignorant compliant, but can still easily be circumvented. DJI's Aeroscope also only works against DJI drones, which, according to DJI's own statements, are only 70% of drones in use in the U.S.. That leaves out the other 30% of all drones not manufactured by DJI! Just some things to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monument.AL
The only problem with that analysis is that only the law abiding drone flyers will adhere to all these regulations. The miscreants and those with truly bad intentions never will. Just something to keep in mind.

It's the same with all laws and regulations - obviously. We need them so that the "miscreants and those with truly bad intentions" can be prosecuted and punished accordingly. Just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: Monument.AL
It's the same with all laws and regulations - obviously. We need them so that the "miscreants and those with truly bad intentions" can be prosecuted and punished accordingly. Just something to keep in mind.
Unfortunately, potential prosecution and punishment are rarely factors considered by those with truly evil intents, like terrorists and suicide bombers.

Unfortunately, potential prosecution and punishment are rarely factors considered by those with truly evil intents, like terrorists and suicide bombers.

Who really cares what "those with truly evil intents" consider? So long as they are arrested, preferably before they commit the crime, and then prosecuted and punished.

It's difficult to understand where you're going with your argument. Are you suggesting that there should be no laws because some people will never obey them?

Who really cares what "those with truly evil intents" consider? So long as they are arrested, preferably before they commit the crime, and then prosecuted and punished.

It's difficult to understand where you're going with your argument. Are you suggesting that there should be no laws because some people will never obey them?
The FAA cares, but the FAA itself has no enforcement powers! Also, with very limited exceptions, you cannot prosecute and punish someone until after they have actually committed a crime. The thought police aren't yet in place!

I am not arguing anything. Just pointing out that when you outlaw drones, only outlaws will have drones. You can't regulate stupid or evil, because the former will still remain ignorant, and the latter don't care. Education is the FAA's current primary goal and focus, not enforcement. It works for those that read and care about following regulations and guidelines. It won't stop evil, which is the biggest real threat.

Reactions: GunsmokeNC
The FAA cares, but the FAA itself has no enforcement powers! Also, with very limited exceptions, you cannot prosecute and punish someone until after they have actually committed a crime. The thought police aren't yet in place!

Whether or not the FAA has powers of enforcement means nothing. They simply refer matters to the relevant law enforcement authorities.

There have been many cases of criminals being convicted for the offence of planning to commit a plan. This is why law enforcement engages in surveillance?

Education is the FAA's current primary goal and focus, not enforcement. It works for those that read and care about following regulations and guidelines. It won't stop evil, which is the biggest real threat.

Education certainly is the FAA's focus except when there are actual incidents. That's when they throw the book at the wrong-doers as has obviously and historically been the case. In those cases "evil" is obviously not stopped but it is called out and punished.

Whether or not the FAA has powers of enforcement means nothing. They simply refer matters to the relevant law enforcement authorities.

There have been many cases of criminals being convicted for the offence of planning to commit a plan. This is why law enforcement engages in surveillance?

Education certainly is the FAA's focus except when there are actual incidents. That's when they throw the book at the wrong-doers as has obviously and historically been the case. In those cases "evil" is obviously not stopped but it is called out and punished.
We agree! Didn't know it would be possible! ;)
All relevant points discussed and clarified.

Last edited:
I wish there was someplace that I could research the role of law enforcement in regards to FAA regulations. Im going to work on that. I know that LE does not care if you sell your pictures, but may be a little more interested in violations of flight regulations if violating them would cause a danger to persons or property. If I remember correctly the faa verbage is "in a careless or reckless manner". In washington it is RCW 9A36.050 and is a class A misdomeaor unless a deadly weapon is involved. In that case a class C felony.

Last edited:

I think that would be "Intent to commit a felony".

I think that would be "Intent to commit a felony".
It's actually a charge of conspiracy, which requires
  1. agreement with one or more other people to commit a crime, and
  2. one of them commits an overt act (which doesn't need to be criminal in and of itself) in furtherance of that agreement
even if the co-conspirator is an undercover agent!

Conspiracy and the underlying crime are two separate offenses, both of which require independent proof.

You cannot conspire with yourself, under a charge of conspiracy.

Last edited:
If the drone don't meet the requirements to be registered, then it is considered a toy. Just like the helicopters and rc planes like airhogs. They would not fall into following TFR restrictions. CFR 14 Part 101 deals with kites balloons and rockets. Nothing about TFRs and do have airspace regulations to follow.

I live in the DC area which is a Drone Hell Zone with basically no drones allowed within a 30 mile radius. So I have a Tello that I fly around my backyard and was thinking the Mini might be a good 'upgrade' although from reading the DJI FAQ (see 'd'), suspect the Mini won't fly in the 30 mile NFZ either (or have some sort of restriction which isn't clear.)

Image 10-30-19 at 11.03 AM.jpg

live in the DC area which is a Drone Hell Zone with basically no drones allowed within a 30 mile radius. So I have a Tello that I fly around my backyard and was thinking the Mini might be a good 'upgrade' although from reading the DJI FAQ (see 'd'), suspect the Mini won't fly in the 30 mile NFZ either (or have some sort of restriction which isn't clear.)

All TFRs / restricted flight areas still apply in the USA even if you are flying a drone < 250g. The only "benefit" is that you aren't required to register < 250g drones.

Reactions: Mavic 57 and drrjv
All TFRs / restricted flight areas still apply in the USA even if you are flying a drone < 250g. The only "benefit" is that you aren't required to register < 250g drones.
The question is whether the DJI App will prevent flight in NFZ, which is the case for the Mavic and Spark (but not the Tello.)

The question is whether the DJI App will prevent flight in NFZ, which is the case for the Mavic and Spark (but not the Tello.)

I imagine so, since the Mini is more of a full-fledged drone with the capability to fly a couple of km away. I'm sure DJI has given it the full "fly-safe" system.

Reactions: drrjv
Yes. The Tello doesn’t have GPS, so no way of knowing if it’s in a nofly zone. Also has a tiny range.
The mini has GPS, and definitely has no fly zones enabled.

Reactions: drrjv
Yes. The Tello doesn’t have GPS, so no way of knowing if it’s in a nofly zone. Also has a tiny range.
The mini has GPS, and definitely has no fly zones enabled.
Does it have the same unlocking as it's larger brothers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998