DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in airspace/NFZ without permisson

Status
Not open for further replies.

caleb1

Reactions
Considering that the mavic mini will be light enough to not need to be registered with the faa, would anyone know if this also means it can fly in airspace and NFZs without permission? I cant seem to find any information in a google search so I am asking here.

Thanks,
Caleb

Considering that the mavic mini will be light enough to not need to be registered with the faa, would anyone know if this also means it can fly in airspace and NFZs without permission? I cant seem to find any information in a google search so I am asking here.

Thanks,
Caleb

I've only seen the minimum weight limit referenced in the registration regulation. As far as I can tell, the other regulations would all still apply.

But if the 250+gram number is what has been deemed dangerous to air traffic shouldnt the sub 250 bird be allowed in these NFZ as it is not danger risk?

If there was to be such a thing as a mavic mini and if it is to be under 250grams

Reactions: Paul WIngfield
But if the 250+gram number is what has been deemed dangerous to air traffic shouldnt the sub 250 bird be allowed in these NFZ as it is not danger risk?

I'm not sure there is any legal source that says 250+ grams is what is "dangerous to air traffic". The 250 gram rule for registration purposes was just set so that people wouldn't have to bother to register small toy drones designed for kids. (think about mini helicopters that primarily are for indoor use, etc). If you read the language in a TFR, it specifically mentions all unmanned aircraft systems being banned, without referencing any weight caveats.

Would anyone know if this also means it can fly in airspace and NFZs without permission? Really??

Besides giving the FAA $5
Common sense would tell you all regulation would Apply.
Until they change them :)

There is no "Min Size" for Airspace Regulations. If it's a sUAS then it is an aircraft and as such much follow FAA Rules & Regulations. The only thing sub 255gr does is allow you to not have to register it. Everything else applies... until something new is written into the regs that is.

All local authority laws apply to all RPAS, some are specific to class and weight and some are across the board. NFZ would certainly apply

Reactions: gphinney

Thanks,
Caleb
What does your local FSCO say?

personally....I register...all of my drones....3dr solo, DJI Mavi air, DJI Spark, DJI Mavic Pro 2

Reactions: JS1600

Thanks,
Caleb
Don't fly in restricted airspace, including NFZs period!!!! Ever. Weight of the craft affects only the requirement to register. The rules re: flying in restricted air space are NOT limited to registered aircraft.

Just don't!!!!

Don't fly in restricted airspace, including NFZs period!!!! Ever. Weight of the craft affects only the requirement to register. The rules re: flying in restricted air space are NOT limited to registered aircraft.

Just don't!!!!
Given airport authorities try and keep birds away from their premises so they don't get sucked into jet engines or strike the planes, common sense should prevail that a small drone poses similar risks.

All the under 250 gram rule does is save you the $5 fee. Anyone flying in our National airspace, regardless on form or function, as a minimum, has to follow at least the 8 recreational rules.

There is no "Min Size" for Airspace Regulations. If it's a sUAS then it is an aircraft and as such much follow FAA Rules & Regulations. The only thing sub 255gr does is allow you to not have to register it. Everything else applies... until something new is written into the regs that is.
Did we ever settle whether one has to register a sub 255g aircraft if used commercially?

Did we ever settle whether one has to register a sub 255g aircraft if used commercially?
Well there is the short answer and the long answer... they are both YES but I don't have my details handy at the moment.

Short Answer: If the aircraft is used commercially (regardless of weight) it's mandated to be registered "commercially". Every Civil Aircraft (of which Part 107 sUAS are all considered) that is used outside of hobby/recreational use is mandated by Congress to have a unique registration # on it. This is outside of "hobby registration" requirements/allowances.

I'll have more "meat & potatoes" and hopefully links for you to verify this later today. We're in a meeting and my FAA Liaison is going to give more background afterwards.

Out of meetings and now can give a little bit more "background" as to why Part 107 requires Registration regardless of weight of the aircraft:

Part 107 Registration
§107.13 requires a Part 107 UAS be registered in accordance with §91.203(a)(2).

§91.203(a)(2) states that no person may operate a civil aircraft unless it has …an effective U.S. Registration certificate applied for under §47.31(c) and provided for in §48.

§48.110 provides information on how the registration will be handled. For example, each UAS will have its own registration number and how long the registration is valid for. This section also gives no relief for weight. Because §107.13 drives you to §91.203(a)(2), there is no relief for registration based on weight.

Recreational/Hobby Registration
Now, compare that with recreational flyers operating under the “exception” (Section 44809). Those aircraft must be registered in accordance U.S.C. Title 49 Chapter 441. In this case, §48.15 then takes the lead (not §91.203(a)(2)) which does have relief for weight.

Conclusion:
Since the regs do not "allow" for a min weight to be registered every sUAS (in the USA) that is flown for Part 107 operations each one must be registered and labeled with a Commercial Reg #. It doesn't matter if it's 1gr if it's used under Part 107 it much be registered and labeled for Part 107 ops.

Hopefully this makes some sense and isn't' total gibberish LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan