DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in airspace/NFZ without permisson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of meetings and now can give a little bit more "background" as to why Part 107 requires Registration regardless of weight of the aircraft:

Part 107 Registration
§107.13 requires a Part 107 UAS be registered in accordance with §91.203(a)(2).

§91.203(a)(2) states that no person may operate a civil aircraft unless it has …an effective U.S. Registration certificate applied for under §47.31(c) and provided for in §48.

§48.110 provides information on how the registration will be handled. For example, each UAS will have its own registration number and how long the registration is valid for. This section also gives no relief for weight. Because §107.13 drives you to §91.203(a)(2), there is no relief for registration based on weight.

Recreational/Hobby Registration
Now, compare that with recreational flyers operating under the “exception” (Section 44809). Those aircraft must be registered in accordance U.S.C. Title 49 Chapter 441. In this case, §48.15 then takes the lead (not §91.203(a)(2)) which does have relief for weight.

Conclusion:
Since the regs do not "allow" for a min weight to be registered every sUAS (in the USA) that is flown for Part 107 operations each one must be registered and labeled with a Commercial Reg #. It doesn't matter if it's 1gr if it's used under Part 107 it much be registered and labeled for Part 107 ops.

Hopefully this makes some sense and isn't' total gibberish LOL
Excellent! Thank you for the thorough and complete analysis!
I believe that was also the inference of the prior discussions on the subject, but great to finally have it cleared up completely! Well done!

My takeaway: The sub min weight of the Tello and the prospective Mavic Mini at 245g is only relevant for recreational flyers, who, while flying a sub 250g drone recreationally, are exempt from both pilot registration and drone labeling. Any commercial use of a sub 250g drone requires separate FAA registration of each aircraft, with each unique reg number visible on the registered aircraft.

Reactions: Wottonr
Type "mavic mini 350 grams" into Google and you will get a bunch of links. Then replace "350" with "245" and you will get another bunch of links, some from the same sources. Gotta love the Rumor mill - LOL.

Type "mavic mini 350 grams" into Google and you will get a bunch of links. Then replace "350" with "245" and you will get another bunch of links, some from the same sources. Gotta love the Rumor mill - LOL.
Yup, all complete speculation until release. Could even be two Mini versions DJI has developed, only one of which will make it to market. The rationale for sub 250g would be lacking the receiver DJI stated would be included in all their drones over 250g sold after 2019. Eliminating that receiver could save costs and keep the Mavic Mini price competitive, while keeping true to their promise. Eliminating the registration requirement of the pilot is also very appealing to Selfie Drone purchasers looking for an upgrade to the Tello. Can DJI pull it off? Time will tell all!

Maybe it should be said this way.
DJI is not making a Mavic Mini:

Maybe it should be said this way.
DJI is not making a Mavic Mini:
Two year old video. DJI is definitely making a Mavic Mini. Timing and specs remain unclear. Pretty accurate prediction, made in November 2017, at 4:41 and 7:06 in the timeline, that in a couple of years we will see a Mavic drone of this E58 size size will perform like a real Mavic in 4K! Here we are, almost two years later looking at real DJI prototypes!

Last edited:
Two year old video. DJI is definitely making a Mavic Mini. Timing and specs remain unclear. Pretty accurate prediction made in November 2017, at 4:41 in the timeline, that in a couple of years we will see a Mavic-like drone of this E58 size size will perform like a real Mavic!

That’s just your opinion right? Otherwise where are you getting your information to back up your claim? How can a prediction made in 2017 be “accurate” ?

The so-called Mavic mini is still just a video of a dodgy looking thing that looked like it had been spat out of someone’s domestic 3D printer IMHO.

Reactions: pmshop
I believe that was also the inference of the prior discussions on the subject, but great to finally have it cleared up completely! Well done!

My takeaway: The sub min weight of the Tello and the prospective Mavic Mini at 245g is only relevant for recreational flyers, who, while flying a sub 250g drone recreationally, are exempt from both pilot registration and drone labeling. Any commercial use of a sub 250g drone requires separate FAA registration of each aircraft, with each unique reg number visible on the registered aircraft.

You're welcome. Sometimes I get lucky and have an accurate reply but then again even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again.

Your take away is spot on. Sub 250g only helps Recreational operators who are opposed to recreational drone/operator registration.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
That’s just your opinion right? Otherwise where are you getting your information to back up your claim? How can a prediction made in 2017 be “accurate” ?

The so-called Mavic mini is still just a video of a dodgy looking thing that looked like it had been spat out of someone’s domestic 3D printer IMHO.
The future will reveal all, including the accuracy of the 2017 prediction! Everyone has an opinion. Ours happen to differ. It is inevitable that DJI will eventually produce a sub 250g drone with more capabilities than the Tello. 4K is not at all out of the question, as the video accurately predicted. DJI continues to innovate and improve on every previous model. Lots of ways to trim weight off a Mavic, while still offering 4K at a consumer friendly price below 250g, to remain registration free for hobbyists! The two year old E58 is an ideal form factor that DJI could easily put a 4K camera on, while improving on every other facet, too. A $400 target price point would easily cover the costs of doing so, over the $50 E58. For my prediction to be accurate, it can happen any time in the future. For yours to happen, it must never happen, ever. My money is on mine! Have faith in DJI!

Lots of ways to trim weight off a Mavic, while still offering 4K at a consumer friendly price below 250g, to remain registration free for hobbyists!

What's the big deal in regard to Registration? In the U.S. it's like $5 and even if you have to pass a little theory exam - for obvious reasons that can only be a good thing. There are already too many numb nuts running amok with their unregistered drones not having a clue about the regulations.

In any case all of this speculation about a Mavic mini is still just hot air - you should take notice of what the guy in this video (see link below) is saying:-

What's the big deal in regard to Registration? In the U.S. it's like $5 and even if you have to pass a little theory exam - for obvious reasons that can only be a good thing. There are already too many numb nuts running amok with their unregistered drones not having a clue about the regulations.

In any case all of this speculation about a Mavic mini is still just hot air - you should take notice of what the guy in this video (see link below) is saying:-

Less than 10% of U.S. drone owners have registered, so registration is a big deal to the average consumer. Registration exemption will turn the noncomplying 90% into law abiding drone owners, if they are flying a sub 250g drone, which also significantly lowers risk of harm, because of the lower weight.

You missed the part where DroneDJ doubled down on his assertion of 245g, with yet another source. The video you cited has been superseded with more sources confirming the DroneDJ specs. As with anything DJI, everything is subject to change until actual release (remember the M2 release cancellation and release 6 weeks later?). Time will tell all. Patience, young grasshopper.

Where did DroneDJ get his "specs"? DroneDJ is not exactly a shining light when it comes to credibility IMHO.
"Update 8/16/19: We received confirmation from another source (unrelated to OsitaLV or Aero X) that the Mavic Mini specs mentioned below are correct. Our source told us when asked about the Mavic Mini that “All of those specs are accurate.” However, he also said that we are still at least two months away from an official announcement and that DJI has yet to decide whether this new drone will become an ‘Air’ or ‘Spark’replacement. Regardless of the Mavic Mini’s small footprint, the drone will almost certainly have No-Fly Zones incorporated through the app. Lastly, the Mavic Mini is not expected to have Lightbridge but rather a new and enhanced Wi-Fi connection. Currently, DJI is working on a multi-charger for the mini-drone. That’s all the info we have for now and no, this does not come from OsitaLV."

• Haha
Reactions: deleted member 877
Considering that the mavic mini will be light enough to not need to be registered with the faa, would anyone know if this also means it can fly in airspace and NFZs without permission? I cant seem to find any information in a google search so I am asking here.

Thanks,
Caleb
Hi Caleb, I mean no disrespect, but your question is a bit bothering. I appreciate the fact that you came onto the forum to ask first, but the sheer fact that you or anyone else would even let the idea pop into your mind is what is hurting the drone community. Even the smallest of the FPV drones are light enough where you dont have to register them. But that doesnt mean you can fly into controlled airspace, NFZ or TFRs. Every single person breaking the rules gives the FAA more ammunition to clamp down on us. Sorry for being honest. Fly safe!

Considering that the mavic mini will be light enough to not need to be registered with the faa, would anyone know if this also means it can fly in airspace and NFZs without permission? I cant seem to find any information in a google search so I am asking here.

Thanks,
Caleb
Simple answer is NO! Any pilot has to adher to the flight rules; recreational or commercial. All this does is save you $5.

In Europe EU regulations (although not the same in all countries) does also make a difference on the +250grms or not on regulations... like restrictions, flying over people, with a max of 20 metres height. I would also be thrilled to see a Mavic Mini on that max weight but I've also read that it is likely to be more on the 350grms in which case no use for me.

I've said it before, why wait?
DSC01835.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: dawgpilot
"Update 8/16/19: We received confirmation from another source (unrelated to OsitaLV or Aero X) that the Mavic Mini specs mentioned below are correct. Our source told us when asked about the Mavic Mini that “All of those specs are accurate.” However, he also said that we are still at least two months away from an official announcement and that DJI has yet to decide whether this new drone will become an ‘Air’ or ‘Spark’replacement. Regardless of the Mavic Mini’s small footprint, the drone will almost certainly have No-Fly Zones incorporated through the app. Lastly, the Mavic Mini is not expected to have Lightbridge but rather a new and enhanced Wi-Fi connection. Currently, DJI is working on a multi-charger for the mini-drone. That’s all the info we have for now and no, this does not come from OsitaLV."

LOL - so who is this new fake source that’s not one of the usual BS artists? Anyway, maybe you should now go “educate” us on another thread that is also about this piece of DJI vapor-ware.

Last edited:
LOL - so who is this new fake source that’s not one of the usual BS artists? Anyway, maybe you should now go “educate” us on another thread that is also about this piece of DJI vapor-ware.

I'm only the messenger. Do as you wish with the message.

• Haha
Reactions: deleted member 877
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member