DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Australian National Parks 🇦🇺

Thanks for your reply and I hope that would be the common sense approach by authorities.
Anybody know the restrictions applying to Fraser Island in QLD?
Not sure on Fraser Island. I'm on a work trip to Perth next week. Is it worth taking my drone over? Not looking to travel too far from the CBD. Thanks in advance.

That's a shame. I guess like many laws and regulations - they're made with the lowest common denominator in mind. Idiots and cowboys ruin most things for everyone else.

Reactions: Chappy
This might interest you (attached). The wheels are turning slowly but the golden rule remains that there is no golden rule. Or maybe, be responsible and take care, and the rest will just follow. Someone said that.

Attachments

• 20180427-Drone-Report-North-Sydney-Innovation-Network.pdf
    753.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180427-Media-Release-Drone-Report.pdf
    104.5 KB · Views: 9
Thought I would do the right thing and applied to fly in Hat Head National Park on the mid north coast of New South Wales, Australia. The park has an awesome coastline and lighthouse, screaming out for a few panoramas and helix shots from my MA2. No cigar I’m afraid. My email application was rejected on the grounds that my drone could disturb wildlife and/or park visitors. I also received a telephone call from a ranger in charge of processing drone applications. She was polite and friendly and advised me that all drone applications to fly in that National Park are rejected because they are receiving countless applications! In her words, “the sky would be filled with drones”. Overkill perhaps, but I could see her point. On the spot fines of $300.00 are issued to anyone flying a drone within a National Park without authorisation.
Does this apply when you take off away from the park but then fly over the park. Never actually touching the ground of the park?

Does this apply when you take off away from the park but then fly over the park. Never actually touching the ground of the park?
Yes it applies. You are forbidden to fly over the park area no matter where you launch from.

This is certainly a contentious issue.
Their website (2 pages I found for NSW parks) say :

Policy, point 1.
"Approval is required to launch, land or operate a drone from within a park for recreational purposes"

and . . .

"You need approval to launch, land or operate a drone in a national park or other reserve managed by National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS)."

There might be exceptions for marine parks with whales etc, or breeding seasons for marine mammals, bird nesting grounds etc.

I know most countries where a land management authority has tried to enforce no flying OVER their land, it's always a case of only the relevant airspace authority has the right to limit drones or manned aircraft.

Refer my post #11 for some states being fine for flight in National Parks.

That’s not entirely incorrect. You cannot fly over a National Park without authorisation.
Seems to be more confusion (deliberate??). Quote from NP site:

You need approval to launch, land or operate a drone in a national park or other reserve managed by National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS).
Thanks for your reply and I hope that would be the common sense approach by authorities.
Anybody know the restrictions applying to Fraser Island in QLD?
The following link provides advice on drones in QLD NPs

Drone safety

Note there are some restrictions for some reef islands and Carnarvon NP as well as temporary restrictions.

Has anyone completed or know how to complete the application form accurately? @Squidinc ?

I thought I'd give it a crack. I live around 10 or so national parks in NSW. I'd really just love to see how many accept or reject. I can probably get the Latitude and longitude through various websites, but how do I calculate the GDA 94 Grid? Is there an App? Maybe you only need longitude and lattitude? That's a bit hard if you've never visited the park before.

Last edited:

I know most countries where a land management authority has tried to enforce no flying OVER their land, it's always a case of only the relevant airspace authority has the right to limit drones or manned aircraft.
I moved back to Oz from the US recently. Certainly a good workaround there is that you can launch from anywhere and fly over a national park with drone restrictions - you just literally cannot take off or land. I interpret the rules the same here. 'Operate' is a bit ambiguous as one could operate the drone from outside of the park.

edit: Seems this is correct. Airspace is not controlled by the park so you can legally fly over it as long as you take off outside of it:

Last edited:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I am recently back from Victoria, On arrival I applied for some sort of licence but heard nothing back so flew anyway.
Got hours of footage over several "parks", this kid Point Nepean.I was flying here when a man on a bike came over and warned me that the Rangers wouldn't like it. I asked how I'd recognise one and he said you won't, I'm one with a big grin!!

This is Nepean Point looking West over the Fort towards Port Lonsdale on the other headland.
DJI_0101.JPG

Just found out I can’t fly in the Gregory NP here in the NT. Real shame there are some magic spots there with the Vic River passing though it.
Regards

Just found out I can’t fly in the Gregory NP here in the NT. Real shame there are some magic spots there with the Vic River passing though it.
Regards

Do you normally get a permit to fly National Parks up there @Gagey52 ?
I’ve read NT parks info in the past, and think it’s still valid, as a visitor I can apply for a 2 week, 3 week, or whatever stay length permit, to fly a drone in National Parks.
Of course some might be seasonally or permanently no fly areas for drones for various reasons.
Just wondering if you’ve got experience with the supposed permit process up there and what locals have to do to fly parks of the NT.

If it is a requirement to get a permit, and you meet the requirements of that permit application, I do not see how it can be rejected out of hand and i would be challenging it.
One example of one parks conditions are

to not:
  • annoy or cause risk to visitors, or invade their privacy
  • be a nuisance or cause risk to wildlife
  • interfere with park management operations (including helicopter operations and use of helipads)
  • impact on areas with sensitive natural or cultural values (for example, nature reserves, wilderness areas or Aboriginal Places).
If you word your application to address each of these points, i do not see how they can reject without proper cause.
If different jurisdictions wish to apply their own regulations, then they must abide by them and if they require you to address a criteria to get a permit then they have no cause not to issue the permit if you do so.

This has been contested in the N.T.. courts and the drone operator won the case.

However, this is not practical when visiting or on holiday.

Last edited:
  • Love
Do you normally get a permit to fly National Parks up there @Gagey52 ?
I’ve read NT parks info in the past, and think it’s still valid, as a visitor I can apply for a 2 week, 3 week, or whatever stay length permit, to fly a drone in National Parks.
Of course some might be seasonally or permanently no fly areas for drones for various reasons.
Just wondering if you’ve got experience with the supposed permit process up there and what locals have to do to fly parks of the NT.
To be honest, I have never flown within a Park Boundary. Having said that, there is a spot when i have to drive towards WA that i always think that i should pull up and send the drone aloft.
Regards

Ok there are two groups operating parks in the NT. This is the parks Australia blurb on Kakadu or Kakadont as we call it.

Drone use in Kakadu​

The use of remote piloted aircrafts (RPAs), including drones, within Kakadu National Park is prohibited except in accordance with a management plan or a permit issued by the park. Permits are not issued for recreational drone use, but applications for RPA use within the park will be considered for commercial or research purposes. Permits issued by the Northern Territory Parks and Wildlife Commission for other NT Parks are not valid in Kakadu.

In most instances, proposals for commercial image capture by drones will not be approved, but drone use may be considered for high-profile projects that have been approved by the Kakadu Board of Management and Kakadu’s traditional owners.

If you believe that your project may qualify, contact the Permits Officer.

I worked in the Kakadont area back in the 70’s. Haven’t been back since parks Australia took over. When planning you trip you need to check which park is being controlled by whom.
Regards

• Wow
Reactions: 4006448
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada