DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in class C as a "hobbyist"

four o two

Reactions
I'm trying to track down the answers, by using this forum, YouTube, and various internet searching, and not really coming up with a clear answer.

I've registered my drone on FAA's website, but I find it slightly silly that if I'm flying for hobby or recreational only, I need only notify an airport if I am flying within 5 miles of an airfield - by all intents and purposes and based upon my search, this includes airfields with surrounding C, D, E airspace.

Now, if I want to use footage for any sort of commercial purposes, I can forego notifying the control towers of airfields, but now to fly within controlled airspace, I need an FAA authorization? Does that not seem a bit backwards to you? It sure does to me.

If I'm flying under Part 107, have done some sort of coursework and study, and have passed the exam to earn my card, why would I need an authorization to fly into controlled airspace, when any old "average Joe hobbyist" can just claim "it's for fun" and only notify the airfield manager, control tower, etc., and then go flying into controlled airspace?

Am I misunderstanding the rules here?

"Hobbyist"
- must call airfield manager when operating within 5 mi of airfield
- can fly within controlled airspace (excluding class B)

"Part 107 operator"
- doesn't need to call airfield manager(s)
- needs authorization from FAA to fly into controlled airspace

I would never fly in Class C airspace without authorization regardless of the rules. There is a lot going on in there, and some of it may be at lower altitudes than one might expect. My 2c.

I'm trying to track down the answers, by using this forum, YouTube, and various internet searching, and not really coming up with a clear answer.

I've registered my drone on FAA's website, but I find it slightly silly that if I'm flying for hobby or recreational only, I need only notify an airport if I am flying within 5 miles of an airfield - by all intents and purposes and based upon my search, this includes airfields with surrounding C, D, E airspace.

Now, if I want to use footage for any sort of commercial purposes, I can forego notifying the control towers of airfields, but now to fly within controlled airspace, I need an FAA authorization? Does that not seem a bit backwards to you? It sure does to me.

If I'm flying under Part 107, have done some sort of coursework and study, and have passed the exam to earn my card, why would I need an authorization to fly into controlled airspace, when any old "average Joe hobbyist" can just claim "it's for fun" and only notify the airfield manager, control tower, etc., and then go flying into controlled airspace?

Am I misunderstanding the rules here?

"Hobbyist"
- must call airfield manager when operating within 5 mi of airfield
- can fly within controlled airspace (excluding class B)

"Part 107 operator"
- doesn't need to call airfield manager(s)
- needs authorization from FAA to fly into controlled airspace
Your understanding of airspace still has some gaps.

You need FAA authorization for Part 107 if you are ACTUALLY flying into airspace that is controlled. The airspace at the ground where you might want to fly might not be within the controlled area.

For example, it might be Class E airspace and the controlled space might start at 700 AGL. Thus for Part 107 you would not need any authorization and you would not need to contact the tower.

Or it might be Class D but the controlled airspace only extends 4 miles (not 5 miles) from the airstrip.

Or it might be a Class C outer shelf that starts at 1200 MSL.

Or it might be a non-towered airport. For Part 107, you wouldn't have to notify the airport operator to fly within 5 miles (or any distance) of the airport, but for hobby/recreation, you would need to notify them.

Reactions: flockshot

Or it might be Class D but the controlled airspace only extends 4 miles (not 5 miles) from the airstrip.

Be careful when "advising."
The four miles is nautical.
Historically, in the US, it. is five statute

Be careful when "advising."
The four miles is nautical.
Historically, in the US, it. is five statute
Well since Class D is variable and is configured individually for each airport, I was giving the OP an example of the differences between the airspace regulations for hobby vs. Part 107 flights. Hence the phrase "might be" in my post.

I understand airspace quite well - I fly for a living.

Anyway, in all the scenarios described, you prefaced by speaking to flying under Part 107 in airspace. I get it - you need authorization for controlled airspace. But the answer I'm trying to get at is this:

Why if I fly under part 107 do I need authorization to enter controlled airspace? Am I to understand that flying as a hobbyist, I don't need authorization? It seems completely backwards to me.

I understand airspace quite well - I fly for a living.

Anyway, in all the scenarios described, you prefaced by speaking to flying under Part 107 in airspace. I get it - you need authorization for controlled airspace. But the answer I'm trying to get at is this:

Why if I fly under part 107 do I need authorization to enter controlled airspace? Am I to understand that flying as a hobbyist, I don't need authorization? It seems completely backwards to me.
You don't need "authorization" as a hobbyist but you need to notify the tower before you fly (if you are within 5 miles). For Part 107, you do not need to contact the tower if you have an authorization.

Also, for hobby flight, you need to contact the airport manager regardless of whether or not the airspace is controlled. This is not the case for Part 107.

You need FAA authorization for Part 107 if you are ACTUALLY flying into airspace that is controlled. The airspace at the ground where you might want to fly might not be within the controlled area.

For example, it might be Class E airspace and the controlled space might start at 700 AGL. Thus for Part 107 you would not need any authorization and you would not need to contact the tower.

Or it might be a Class C outer shelf that starts at 1200 MSL.

Or it might be a non-towered airport. For Part 107, you wouldn't have to notify the airport operator to fly within 5 miles (or any distance) of the airport, but for hobby/recreation, you would need to notify them.
When I start studying for the part 107 test will I actually learn a lot of these things... Usually these tests have very little to do with drone flying and it is more of a pilot's test from what I've heard. I really want to learn how to fly properly and that is one reason why I want my license, but **** if it isn't alot to learn.

You don't need "authorization" as a hobbyist but you need to notify the tower before you fly (if you are within 5 miles). For Part 107, you do not need to contact the tower if you have an authorization.

Also, for hobby flight, you need to contact the airport manager regardless of whether or not the airspace is controlled. This is not the case for Part 107.
From what I've read, I don't think your statement is 100% accurate, and you're just mirroring the comments and threads I've read already.

Part 107 flyer:
- doesn't have to notify airfield
- needs FAA authorization to fly in controlled airspace

Hobby flyer:
- has to notify airfield
- does not need FAA authorization to fly in controlled airspace

If someone can verify that, I'd love to see it. The question is: why would I ever fly under 107 rules when a hobbyist can take his/her drone virtually anywhere (except class B) without authorization? Sure, notifying a tower and airfield manager is an extra step, but it's not as lengthy as submitting a request for an authorization online and waiting 90 days for the FAA to approve flight into controlled airspace.

From what I've read, I don't think your statement is 100% accurate, and you're just mirroring the comments and threads I've read already.

Part 107 flyer:

Hobby flyer:
- has to notify airfield

If someone can verify that, I'd love to see it. The question is: why would I ever fly under 107 rules when a hobbyist can take his/her drone virtually anywhere (except class B) without authorization? Sure, notifying a tower and airfield manager is an extra step, but it's not as lengthy as submitting a request for an authorization online and waiting 90 days for the FAA to approve flight into controlled airspace.
Okay. Fine. You don't believe it. Believe whatever you want. But you are wrong.

And there obviously are many other reasons why a drone operator would want to get an Part 107 certification, most notably to fly for commercial purposes.

And again, there are many airfields out there that are in Class G airspace, so the for Part 107 flights no notification or authorization is required for that, while a hobbyist still needs to notify those.

Part 107 flyer:

Hobby flyer:
- has to notify airfield

I'm not clear why you need anyone to verify any of this for you. It's published in 14 CFR in perfectly understandable language and you can read it for yourself:

Part 107

Part 101

And again, there are many airfields out there that are in Class G airspace, so the for Part 107 flights no notification or authorization is required for that, while a hobbyist still needs to notify those.
Not sure why you're so testy.

Part 107 flights require no authorization to fly within 5nm of an airfield. Got it. Hobbyists need to notify. Got it.

Part 107 flights into controlled airspace require FAA authorization/waiver.

The question I'm trying to answer, for the 5th time now is: Does a hobbyist require authorization/waiver to fly in Class C/D/E airspace? For the 5th time, I realize that a hobbyist must notify the airfield.

Part 107 flights require no authorization to fly within 5nm of an airfield. Got it. Hobbyists need to notify. Got it.

The question I'm trying to answer, for the 5th time now is: Does a hobbyist require authorization/waiver to fly in Class C/D/E airspace? For the 5th time, I realize that a hobbyist must notify the airfield.

There is no authorization or waiver process for hobbyists. Did you read the documents linked above?

There is no authorization or waiver process for hobbyists. Did you read the documents linked above?
I sure did. Does that not seem silly to you? It's so odd that I thought I must be reading it wrong.

Why would someone who we've given a certification to have to get a waiver, when any "hobbyist" out there flying can fly into controlled airspace with no authorization?

I sure did. Does that not seem silly to you? It's so odd that I thought I must be reading it wrong.

Why would someone who we've given a certification to have to get a waiver, when any "hobbyist" out there flying can fly into controlled airspace with no authorization?

Because Congress, in its wisdom, enacted the Special Rule for Model Aircraft in section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, which prevented the FAA from appropriately regulating hobbyists. It's the latitude afforded hobbyists, rather than the restrictions on certified Part 107 operations, that is the anomaly.

Because Congress, in its wisdom, enacted the Special Rule for Model Aircraft in section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, which prevented the FAA from appropriately regulating hobbyists. It's the latitude afforded hobbyists, rather than the restrictions on certified Part 107 operations, that is the anomaly.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I understand that there are a lot of areas where federal regulation could use some catching up and dusting off - I just want to make sure I'm abiding by all regulations when flying.

And I answered that in post #5.

You don't need "authorization" as a hobbyist .

Okay. Fine. You don't believe it. Believe whatever you want. But you are wrong.
Nah man, I was never "wrong," you were just giving incomplete answers.

beachcombing said:

Key, yet subtle detail is that a 107 flyer, while he/she does not need to notify a tower, if flying in controlled airspace, requires an FAA waiver. (my underline for emphasis)

That was the literal main point of the question I was asking. You never answered it explicitly. Now it has been answered.

I’m not sure about the States, but here the rules are a hobbyist may not under any circumstance enter airspace. Being licensed means you may apply for exemption or gain access through traffic control

Why would you ever want to be in class c or b. With no transponder it seems very dangerous to me. I'm glad drones were not so common when I owned my single engine prop. I can't imagine a drone to small plane impact. It would be like a missile hitting you. Seems risky.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929