DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in class C as a "hobbyist"

Legally, in the USA, all a hobbyist needs to do is 'notify' ATC, prior to the flight, in order to fly in Class C. Good luck to all the hobbyist's that want to do that.

what about flying here?
No manned aircraft would fly within 400 feet of the 1090/1070 building.
hobbyist vs 107

sf_class_CE.fw.png

It looks like 400 feet above that building would be 1490, in Class E, so I think it requires "ATC approval" under 107 and isn't allowed under the latest version of 101 (no flights over 400 feet AGL).

It looks like 400 feet above that building would be 1490, in Class E, so I think it requires "ATC approval" under 107 and isn't allowed under the latest version of 101 (no flights over 400 feet AGL).

You may have misunderstood 107.41:

§107.41 Operation in certain airspace.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).​
The Class E restriction only refers to the surface Class E associated with airports. You can fly in 700 ft Class E provided that you are in compliance with 107.51.

Reactions: sdold
I use "airmap" and get instant authorization to fly 107 just about anywhere.

Reactions: sdold
The Class E restriction only refers to the surface Class E associated with airports. You can fly in 700 ft Class E provided that you are in compliance with 107.51.
You're right, thanks for the correction. I keep thinking and hearing "no flying in controlled airspace" and forgot that class E was OK if not extended to the ground.

one doesn't need to fly their drone 400 feet above that structure.. 100ft above it is enough height to capture a top to bottom view. I'm just saying that it's technically safe since FAA require helicopters to fly at least 500 ft above buildings. drones will not pose a risk..

also, I thought it's class C because it's within the magenta line.

also, I thought it's class C because it's within the magenta line.
That's in the outer ring of the Class C, the "T/15" means that Class C starts at 1500 in that area, and goes up to the floor of the Class B above. To the right you can see the magenta ring of the inner area that extends down to the surface.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute