DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in class D airspace UK

Ramjam61

Reactions
As I understand it, as long as you notify and get permission from atc, this is okay.
I have just had a short hover session with my air 2. Playing with the new features, only 2m above the ground. A passenger airliner took off from my local airport, 4 miles away as the crow flies. I was not anywhere near the extended flight zones, quite the opposite at 90 degrees to the side of them. The flight path takes the aircraft in a large circle, at least 5 miles from my chosen flying spot.
As the aircraft passed by me to circle behind, my controller started to beep loudly, vibrate and flash the battery condition lights. The air 2 landed in a controlled manor and refused to respond, until the aircraft had circled behind me and continued on it's outbound path. Then I was able to resume normal operation. Looking back through the flight log, I did recieve a short, class D airspace warning, roughly coinciding, with the forced landing.
My initial thoughts were, that some aircraft may be trialing a technology to cause drones to land. However this seems very far fetched. I'd like to believe dji somehow, has linked my location to the airport and sheduled flight times, again far fetched.
I always contact atc, a habit I formed when flying my RC thermal soaring gliders, in the valley below my house. I do this because I invariably fly a lot higher than my drone is restricted to.
Just to add I am a BMFA member and at the moment we are allowed to fly fixed wing higher than 400ft.

I was hoping to get another go with this airliner taking off but my time after Sun down is up. May try again tomorrow after I've spoken with atc. Curious.

Just checked NATS and no hazards are reported for my chosen area. Just a follow the drone code advisory.

Ditto I think but I am outside it
I think I need to get this clarified with the Airport Controllers/Authorities. My local Airport still has military status, and quite often a Eurofighter Typhoon or RAF Gnat will do a Low pass to calibrate the military Radar. We used to get a Tornado making a right racket. I've never had interference flying my fixed wing models or helicopters.

I have seen posts on here about some hardware that announces the presence of the drone to aircraft with suitable recievers. But I get the impression it is not in use in the EU or maybe not present. It makes me wonder if there is also reciever hardware and yours has it and slipped through the net to reach the UK. It does have a proper name but I can't remember what it is

I have seen posts on here about some hardware that announces the presence of the drone to aircraft with suitable recievers. But I get the impression it is not in use in the EU or maybe not present. It makes me wonder if there is also reciever hardware and yours has it and slipped through the net to reach the UK. It does have a proper name but I can't remember what it is
I did wonder that too. I read somewhere, that in China. DJI were adding, or going to add some unannounced control firmware updates, to drones fitted with Aircraft proximity recognition. Although that could have been fake news.

As I understand it and please bear in mind I haven't looked at it for a while. The code states 'one kilometer from the airport outer fence', so, if you are beyond that there *should* be no issue.
Perhaps the over flying aircraft caused s temporary gravitational anomaly thus confusing the drone sensors? (Purely a guess nothing more).
FWIW I live about 7 miles (as the crow flies) from Glasgow Airport. All I get is a caution and nothing more.
Sorry this isn't more helpful but I do believe you suffered some kind of local aberration.

As I understand it and please bear in mind I haven't looked at it for a while. The code states 'one kilometer from the airport outer fence', so, if you are beyond that there *should* be no issue.
Perhaps the over flying aircraft caused s temporary gravitational anomaly thus confusing the drone sensors? (Purely a guess nothing more).
FWIW I live about 7 miles (as the crow flies) from Glasgow Airport. All I get is a caution and nothing more.
Sorry this isn't more helpful but I do believe you suffered some kind of local aberration.
Many thanks. The distance is now a 2.5km circle, with 5km extensions from the center of each runway. That is 5km following the flight line of each runway both ways. I think the width of the extensions are 1km, but I just use the 2.5km to allow lots of space. One thing has come to mind. When it happend I got a small green semicircle of flashing dots, they appeared on the side of the phone screen facing the aircraft. I probably need to contact dji. I may have got one destined for somewhere else.

Found the issue. An unbelievable coincidence that an aircraft was passing. The C to C cable ( controller to phone) is faulty. The flashing dots, were presumably indicating the fault, as they were on the cable input side. My phone does that.
Getting into Drones is certainly stimulating the old brain cells. :)

As I understand it and please bear in mind I haven't looked at it for a while. The code states 'one kilometer from the airport outer fence',
The distance is now a 2.5km circle, with 5km extensions from the center of each runway.

Wrong information. The new rules, introduced in March 2019, state that "the 1km restriction from the airfield boundary is replaced by a restriction using the airfield’s existing aerodrome traffic zone, which has a radius of either two or two and a half nautical miles and then five kilometres by one kilometre zones starting from the point known as the ‘threshold’ at the end of each of the airfield’s runways. Both zones extend upwards to a height of 2,000 feet above the airfield.” See: Airfield restrictions - Dronesafe

Wrong information. The new rules, introduced in March 2019, state that "the 1km restriction from the airfield boundary is replaced by a restriction using the airfield’s existing aerodrome traffic zone, which has a radius of either two or two and a half nautical miles and then five kilometres by one kilometre zones starting from the point known as the ‘threshold’ at the end of each of the airfield’s runways. Both zones extend upwards to a height of 2,000 feet above the airfield.” See: Airfield restrictions - Dronesafe
Thanks for the updated information. Both NATS and DJI need to update their info. On NATS I'm shown in the ATZ and approx half a mile from the FRZ. I'm surprised ATC give me clearance to fly My 3m glider. I'm ringing them today, so I'll try and get some clarity on this.

Well, I wonder which intellectual giant came up with that.
Part in nautical miles and part in kilometers?
I absolutely understand what they are saying but why not apply commonality.
Anyway thanks for the update and extremely useful link.[emoji106]

Well, I wonder which intellectual giant came up with that.
Part in nautical miles and part in kilometers?
I absolutely understand what they are saying but why not apply commonality.
Anyway thanks for the update and extremely useful link.[emoji106]
That's where I got confused. Considering the issues BMFA had in consultation with the CAA. The most professional of the two, would appear to be, British Model Flying Association.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31