DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Designated PA State Parks

wags1

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Based on what I have read their are only six PA State Parks that allow UAS flying. The closest to me is Beltzville. I have not been able to find any information about where the flying field is in Beltzville. I saw some info that indicated you must be a AMA member to fly in the designated area in Beltzville State Park. That can’t be right, can it?
Also, do any of the apps (like B4UFLY or the DJIFly app) reflect PA State regulated areas?
Thanks for the help and sorry for the noob questions.

I believe the AMA website site has info on the Beltzville club where you can find the address of the field and rules.

The apps you mention do not reflect the state parks in PA because the state does not control airspace. So it’s not against state regulations to fly over the parks, just to take off, operate, and land in them.

Reactions: wags1 and KLRSKIR
I believe the AMA website site has info on the Beltzville club where you can find the address of the field and rules.

The apps you mention do not reflect the state parks in PA because the state does not control airspace. So it’s not against state regulations to fly over the parks, just to take off, operate, and land in them.
Thanks but the Beltzville club website isn’t really very helpful. It looks to be very RC Airplane focused and again from what I can tell in order to use the Beltzville State Park field you need to be both a AMA and Beltzville club member. Nothing against either but not something I’m interested in and odd that you would need to do that, and pay the membership fees, to use one of only 6 PA State Parks even open to flying a UAS.

I have not been able to find any information about where the flying field is in Beltzville. I saw some info that indicated you must be a AMA member to fly in the designated area in Beltzville State Park. That can’t be right, can it?
This Web Site might give you the information you need. As for flying on an AMA field, when I got back into R/C airplanes and wanted to fly at my local AMA Flying field. Two entities required my AMA membership and of course with the corresponding insurance was the AMA by-laws to use their field and the city charter that gave the club the use of the land, required AMA Membership with the insurance, not just an "associate membership."

Reactions: wags1
As long as you take-off, operate and land outside of the parks, you may fly over the parks. In a few cases I have stopped by a park office and spoken to the park manager and was granted authorization to operate within the park. YMMV

Reactions: wags1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000