DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Germany

Alpollard

Reactions
I'm going to Germany soon and thinking of taking my Mavic. Apart from standard safety procedures are there any other regulations or requirements there?

Reactions: LuisMack
No only distance restrictions... they say you're only allowed to fly further when the drone is in sight. So 300m far and 100m high. You don't need any flightpermissions or so. And sorry for the bad english... I tried my best.

Hi, there are few regulations for flying the mavic in Germany. First, you have to sign your craft with your name and address. Then, max altitude is 100 m, it's not allowed to fly over housing areas, motorways and railroads as well as near airports, of course. Taking photos is allowed for private use, but not of people, except they agree with that.
Where are you going to?
Best, Randolph

Hi, there are few regulations for flying the mavic in Germany. First, you have to sign your craft with your name and address. Then, max altitude is 100 m, it's not allowed to fly over housing areas, motorways and railroads as well as near airports, of course. Taking photos is allowed for private use, but not of people, except they agree with that.
Where are you going to?
Best, Randolph
This is absolutely correct. Especially with signing your name and address on the drone.

Thanks everyone for your help, it's with simple questions that can be answered by people with experience that this forum can be so useful.

Last I knew, you also needed a liability insurance, isn't that right?

I don't think so. My uncle is an RC hobbyist in Germany, and he is the one that clued me into the regulations in Germany.
I've been just checking the DMFV - Deutscher Modellflieger Verband website and they say:

Wussten Sie eigentlich, dass für den Bereich von Flugmodellen aller Art nach §102 der Luftverkehrs-Zulassungs-Ordnung eine separate Versicherungspflicht besteht? Schäden, die durch Modellflugzeuge verursacht werden, übernimmt Ihre private Haftpflichtversicherung in der Regel nicht.

English

Did you actually know that there is a separate insurance requirement for the area of all kinds of flight models according to §102 of the Air Traffic Licensing Regulations? Damage caused by model aircraft is not usually covered by your personal liability insurance.

I was indeed thinking about suscribing their membership and insurance... just to be on the safe side (my neighbors are not exactly happy with drones around...)

I've been just checking the DMFV - Deutscher Modellflieger Verband website and they say:

English

I was indeed thinking about suscribing their membership and insurance... just to be on the safe side (my neighbors are not exactly happy with drones around...)
That just says regular insurance won't cover damages by your drone, and requires a separate insurance. If you don't have insurance, you pay for damages out of pocket, but it's not a requirement, just a recommendation to cover your ***.

That just says regular insurance won't cover damages by your drone, and requires a separate insurance. If you don't have insurance, you pay for damages out of pocket, but it's not a requirement, just a recommendation to cover your ***.
I'm not sure if I agree with you. I've just googled the law and it says:

Luftverkehrs-Zulassungs-Ordnung (LuftVZO)
§ 102 Vertragsinhalt

(1) Der Haftpflichtversicherungsvertrag für Drittschäden muss die sich aus dem Betrieb eines Luftfahrzeugs für den Halter ergebende Haftung decken.
(2) Die Mindesthöhe der Versicherungssumme bestimmt sich bei Luftfahrzeugen nach § 37 Abs. 1 des Luftverkehrsgesetzes.
(3) Für Drachen, Flugmodelle und nichtmotorgetriebene Luftsportgeräte ist Gruppenversicherung zulässig.

Air Traffic Licensing Regulations (LuftVZO)
§ 102 Contract content

(1) The third party liability insurance contract must cover the liability resulting from the operation of an aircraft for the holder.
(2) The minimum amount of the insurance sum is determined for aircraft in accordance with Section 37 (1) of the Air Transport Act.
(3) Group insurance is permitted for kites, flight models and non-motorized aerial sports.

Now... this law seems to apply for everything flying, so i'm not really sure about how it applies to drones. It's true that if you check the brochure on the new law coming for this year it does not say anything about mandatory insurance.

I also live in Germany but I'm not german, so I might be taking something wrong (my german is still not so good...)

I'm not sure if I agree with you. I've just googled the law and it says:

Now... this law seems to apply for everything flying, so i'm not really sure about how it applies to drones. It's true that if you check the brochure on the new law coming for this year it does not say anything about mandatory insurance.

I also live in Germany but I'm not german, so I might be taking something wrong (my german is still not so good...)
Well I do speak German, and if you take that as insurance is required, that means you are required to insure your kite before being allowed to fly it. That's just silly.

Some of the more obvious target subjects like castles attempt to impose no fly zones.
Not without reason as there have been some embarrassing crashing incidents and there are likely to be large numbers of people about.
Nonetheless I don't see much harm in aerial shots from a discrete distance.

A liability insurance is mandatory due to the latest change in law. Germans normally do have this kind of insurance, but not all of them do cover damages done by flying vehicles ( mine does). So if not, a seperate insurance is necassary.
Tag the drone with your name and adress.
Respect the no fly zones and keep away from highways, airports, Sportarenas, crowds etc. and respect the privacy of people.
Then you should be fine :)

Reactions: Cyberpower678
A liability insurance is mandatory due to the latest change in law. Germans normally do have this kind of insurance, but not all of them do cover damages done by flying vehicles ( mine does). So if not, a seperate insurance is necassary.
Tag the drone with your name and adress.
Respect the no fly zones and keep away from highways, airports, Sportarenas, crowds etc. and respect the privacy of people.
Then you should be fine :)
Well I guess I'm wrong then. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Now we have clarified the things, next questions would be:

How did you label your drones? (in which part, what material, etc)
What insurance did you get? Any good deals that you could recommend?

I am going to Germany also in May. I have corresponded with friends and family there and was told the same but was also told that I need to make sure I have liability insurance.

My State Farm policy only covers damage to my Mavic not to anyone or any property I may hurt/damage.

Reactions: Ruud

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo