DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Germany

Well, concerning the insurance I added that feature (damage to things or persons by my drone) to my normal insurance. So I can't give you an advice on that. Honestly I haven't labeled my Mavic yet but will do that with simple Eding in the battery holder, next to serial number.

Drohnen Versicherung und Drohnen Haftpflichtversicherung R+V, HDI und ZURICH

Simply try to google "Drohnenversicherung" and you´ll get results as the above example. My insurance included up to three aircrafts in its terms, so I cant give you a recommendation where to insure.

You have to tag the drone with a seperate sticker And these stickers have to be

- permanent
- visual
- fireproof

Thats the guideline. So best choice out of this will be stickers made of aluminium. But ofcourse Aluminium may influence the compass or IMU.

Last edited:
I am going to Germany also in May. I have corresponded with friends and family there and was told the same but was also told that I need to make sure I have liability insurance.

My State Farm policy only covers damage to my Mavic not to anyone or any property I may hurt/damage.

You may want to be sure they cover in Germany.

Drohnen Versicherung und Drohnen Haftpflichtversicherung R+V, HDI und ZURICH

Simply try to google "Drohnenversicherung" and you´ll get results as the above example. My insurance included up to three aircrafts in its terms, so I cant give you a recommendation where to insure.

You have to tag the drone with a seperate sticker And these stickers have to be

- permanent
- visual
- fireproof

Thats the guideline. So best choice out of this will be stickers made of aluminium. But ofcourse Aluminium may influence the compass or IMU.

What did you get your sticker? Aluminum should not really influence the compass (I Would be surprised if the mavic is so sensitive...) It still would be good to know what's the best position to place such element.

I got some stickes out of a copy shop downtown. But I still have´nt put them on. I still stick to the plastik stickers I put on first bacause I am afraid of interference with my RC or compass/IMU. At least I really don´t believe that if I ever will be controlled, anybody really knows what kind of stickes have to be on the drone. They will be satisfied if there is any sticker on.... :)

I got some stickes out of a copy shop downtown. But I still have´nt put them on. I still stick to the plastik stickers I put on first bacause I am afraid of interference with my RC or compass/IMU. At least I really don´t believe that if I ever will be controlled, anybody really knows what kind of stickes have to be on the drone. They will be satisfied if there is any sticker on.... :)

I might well go for plastic ones with a shiny look, so in case somebody asks I can say they're very thin aluminum :D

I asked my agent and they DO cover me in Europe but not liability. Only damage or loss of the MP.

From the tone of things I believe what you need is liability insurance. They don't care if you damage or lose your drone - they care if you damage property or persons there.

Does anyone have insurance suggestions for someone who will be in Germany for less than a week?

I dont have drone liability insurance in the US at the moment...

No only distance restrictions... they say you're only allowed to fly further when the drone is in sight. So 300m far and 100m high. You don't need any flightpermissions or so. And sorry for the bad english... I tried my best.
I don't think you are correct.
They have regulations that are strict just like other countries. I would google them.

Does anyone have insurance suggestions for someone who will be in Germany for less than a week?

I'm not sure if you can sign up to the MFSD if you live outside Germany, but it's worth a try. The yearly subscription is 40 euro, and it includes a liability insurance for up to 1.5 million valid for the whole world except USA and Canada.

Their website is Startseite - MFSD - Modellflugsportverband Deutschland e.V.

It's only in German, but I've checked and google translates pretty accurately the website.

I'm actually flying back and was there for two weeks. I flew without insurance. (Please no comments about me breaking the law, I was flying compliant otherwise.) If you are careful and make sure your don't do anything stupid with it, and bring it back on the first sign of trouble, you should be fine. I do however plan to make sure I have all the documentation needed to fly fully compliant. Germany laws have just gotten even more strict. I believe they will soon require a license to operate.

Reactions: Mikewilltakeyouto
A license is only necessary for drones of >5kg.
The basic rules for Mavic are:
- no higher than 100m
- not at night
- always in VLOS
- not over sensible areas, like crime scenes or accidants
- liability insurance necessary

From October there will be a plaque required with owner information.

- no higher than 100m
- not at night
- always in VLOS
- not over sensible areas, like crime scenes or accidants

They dropped that to 2kg.

True. Above 5kg you need a permission to launch.
Anyway - both don't apply to the Mavic

- no higher than 100m
- not at night
- always in VLOS
- not over sensible areas, like crime scenes or accidants, power plants, industrial areas, highways (Autobahn), crowd gatherings, national parks, national reserves, 1.5km (1mile) around airports, private property...

If you want to publish your photos/videos or plan on using your drone for commercial reasons, even more restrictions apply!

Of course, most of those rules aren't enforced (yet) as long nobody feels disturbed and nothing bad happens

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet