DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in GPS spoofed area

bazuchan

Reactions
I want to film a kart racing competition. But it will be held on track close to a military object and gps signal is spoofed in the vicinity so I appear to be in airport. I have already got a permit from military, but they won't remove GPS spoofing just for me. So I need to solve a couple of problems:
1. Mavic Air says it is NFZ (airport), so I can't even take off. I can ask DJI to unlock, but I have a permit for this area, but not for airport obviously (as detected by GPS). I also have Spark and can hack it with NLD but Air's camera is so much better...
2. How drone will behave if it always read constant GPS coordinates? Is there a way to switch forcibly to OPTI? I wanted to try flying there, but can't because of NFZ...

You can cover the top with foil and it won't get a fix.
Opti sensor only work properly at low levels, you might not be able to go above 30 feet if I recall correct.

You can cover the top with foil and it won't get a fix.
Opti sensor only work properly at low levels, you might not be able to go above 30 feet if I recall correct.
I'll try it, but covering everything except sensors and legs might not help because it is strong spoofed signal, unlike several satellites out there.

Reporting back on subject.
I have tried wrapping Mavic Air in foil (it wasn't easy actually), I was able to take off in opti but just right after take off drone got spoofed GPS signal and landed itself, so no luck with Air.
Then I paid to NLD and hacked nfz on my Spark. Was able to take off, but controlling drone wasn't easy, it was always drifting (up and down too, it's so scary!!), definetely not usable for shooting video. Remapped sport switch to switch to atti, and finally drone was somewhat stable, but only until wind gust came and spark was blown 30 meters away, so not usable too...
Now I pretty much given up on idea of filming this race with a drone.
And one interresting thing: I remember that in atti mode I always was limited in altitude, but not this time. How does altitude limitation works in atti?

The building him and his drone are in is in a red restricted no fly zone. However, since he is inside the building the phantom doesn't have a GPS signal. Satellite signal isn't reaching the drone's GPS module in the drone. If he were to step outside he wouldn't be able to take off. JMO Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate

Last edited:
Mod sport mode to be atti mode switch done!! search this frum to learn how it's easy...

I’m in Vegas and live near the base and it won’t let me fly. It keeps saying restricted zone but the darn flight line is basically in our back yards!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851