DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Manhattan

labfoo

Reactions
First of all, I'm from the UK, I fly exclusively recreationally and have a FAA sUAS Certificate of Registration.

I'm going to an event on Pier 36 (299 South St, New York, NY 10002, USA). I've seen other questions about flying within Manhatten with many people being uncertain about the safety of doing so. I've got very limited time away from the event so wouldn't be able to travel too far from this location.

I wanted to get some advice about flying from the pier and filming Manhatten, Manhatten Bridge & Brooklyn Bridge from over the East River.

I believe this area is a Class B / Class C area, though it's hard to tell which given the map at https://faa.maps.arcgis.com. See Image #1 below.

I'd plan on staying well below 400ft and only over water (i.e. not crossing over the bridges or over land except for takeoff / landing).

The B4UFLY app lists:

- No airspace restrictions
- No upcoming restrictions
- No National parks nearby
- 10 "Airports" within 5 miles, all of which are helipads (see image #2)

Lastly the "Request a Waiver/ Airspace Authorization - Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS)" form does not allow me to fill in some of the required fields with my UK address, phone number etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Image #1:

H5qwcgK.jpg

Image #2:

Pl9Hhmz.png

A few issues:
National Park sites include: Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, etc.
Also, Check out Skyvector.com. Not sure when you in town, but the with the Prez in and out, the NFZ shows up usually a few days in advance or less.
Good luck

First of all, I'm from the UK, I fly exclusively recreationally and have a FAA sUAS Certificate of Registration.

I'm going to an event on Pier 36 (299 South St, New York, NY 10002, USA). I've seen other questions about flying within Manhatten with many people being uncertain about the safety of doing so. I've got very limited time away from the event so wouldn't be able to travel too far from this location.

I wanted to get some advice about flying from the pier and filming Manhatten, Manhatten Bridge & Brooklyn Bridge from over the East River.

I believe this area is a Class B / Class C area, though it's hard to tell which given the map at https://faa.maps.arcgis.com. See Image #1 below.

I'd plan on staying well below 400ft and only over water (i.e. not crossing over the bridges or over land except for takeoff / landing).

The B4UFLY app lists:

- No airspace restrictions
- No upcoming restrictions
- No National parks nearby
- 10 "Airports" within 5 miles, all of which are helipads (see image #2)

Lastly the "Request a Waiver/ Airspace Authorization - Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS)" form does not allow me to fill in some of the required fields with my UK address, phone number etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Image #1:

H5qwcgK.jpg

Image #2:

Pl9Hhmz.png
Hi Man. Im planning to go to NYC next week. I have already the FAA certificate of registration. How was your experience flying the mavic over there? It is allowed? Thanks

I didn't in the end, wasn't able to do enough research ahead of the trip.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc