DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in New Zealand

FASTFJR

Reactions
I'll be going to New Zealand in August for about a week. Looking at their laws / rules seem to be the same as the US. Has anyone every flown there?

Thanks

I'll be going to New Zealand in August for about a week. Looking at their laws / rules seem to be the same as the US. Has anyone every flown there?

Thanks

Hey man Auckland city council rules are pretty sweet... as long as your drone weighs less than 1.5kg and are not using commercially you are good to launch from public property (or private property with owners consent) do not exceed 120m height and in public areas with people around fly at a minimum of 20m safe distance to insure you are not annoying people.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Hey man, nearly everything he said was right.. but also very wrong. Just to clarify Auckland City center DOES NOT let you fly. The city has many helicopter operations and sea planes, therefore it is classed as being within 5km of an Aerodrome, if you fly in the city center and get caught you could get fined $10000. It has happened before.

Visit www.airshare.co.nz they have a map of NZ with all the places you can’t fly in. You’ll find most of Auckland is actually in controlled airspace because of the Airport, this means you can only fly in a shielded operation (not to fly above the nearest tallest object (tree, building etc) within 100m).

Apart from that the other rules he said are pretty much right. Height limit and keep within LOS and don’t fly within 5km of an airport. A lot of the South Island has low flying zones which extend to the ground, so these to are a no go!

Hey man, nearly everything he said was right.. but also very wrong. Just to clarify Auckland City center DOES NOT let you fly. The city has many helicopter operations and sea planes, therefore it is classed as being within 5km of an Aerodrome, if you fly in the city center and get caught you could get fined $10000. It has happened before.

Visit www.airshare.co.nz they have a map of NZ with all the places you can’t fly in. You’ll find most of Auckland is actually in controlled airspace because of the Airport, this means you can only fly in a shielded operation (not to fly above the nearest tallest object (tree, building etc) within 100m).

Apart from that the other rules he said are pretty much right. Height limit and keep within LOS and don’t fly within 5km of an airport. A lot of the South Island has low flying zones which extend to the ground, so these to are a no go!

Thanks for clarifying this mate.... and great website.

The thing to remember is that in NZ you must "have the consent of the property owner or person in charge of the area you are wanting to fly above." In public places that usually means the council. I found that the best thing to do is google "council name drones" for the local policies. Greater Auckland is actually pretty good, with plenty of nice places to fly a drone outside of the city centre, but as mentioned you do have to avoid the controlled air spaces, and aerodromes on the map at New Zealand Maps for Planning Drone Flights | airshare NZ hub for drones and UAVs
Check out Where you can fly your drone or UAV for more detail of Auckland guidelines.

Hey man Auckland city council rules are pretty sweet... as long as your drone weighs less than 1.5kg and are not using commercially you are good to launch from public property (or private property with owners consent) do not exceed 120m height and in public areas with people around fly at a minimum of 20m safe distance to insure you are not annoying people.

Hey guys, when you say that we can launch from private/public property, can you advise where I can fly from there? Not over any other properties and not over roads because permission from auckland transport is required? I am new to flying... Please let me know

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer