DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in North Carolina

johngilkey

Reactions
I am preparing for a trip to Cashiers, NC in a couple of weeks and did some checking on flying mt Mavic 2 Pro while there. I was discouraged to glean that North Carolina is one of the most regressive places in the country to fly drones. I am interested in any input from other drone pilots who have flown (or have wanted to fly) in hopes that I am misinterpreting what I have read. I come from a Tourism background so the type of neurosis that appears to exist there about people who can help promote tourism with aerial photography is hard for me to understand. I hope someone has a better interpretation of NC drone laws and can ally my concerns.

Well then @BigAl07 is the man you need to talk with .

I am preparing for a trip to Cashiers, NC in a couple of weeks and did some checking on flying mt Mavic 2 Pro while there. I was discouraged to glean that North Carolina is one of the most regressive places in the country to fly drones. I am interested in any input from other drone pilots who have flown (or have wanted to fly) in hopes that I am misinterpreting what I have read. I come from a Tourism background so the type of neurosis that appears to exist there about people who can help promote tourism with aerial photography is hard for me to understand. I hope someone has a better interpretation of NC drone laws and can ally my concerns.

I live on the east coast of NC and had I known they were so restrictive I may not have bought my mavic 2. What will be my saving grace is that I live close to the water so I can take my boat out and get photos or film of the lighthouses, wild horses, and anything else I can get to by boat. Basically NC restricts you from taking off/landing from any state property or private property without permission from the land owner. The federal government stops you from the same in National Parks. While I don't know exactly what you have read, I feel like it wasn't misinterpreted at all.

I fly some type of sUAS almost every single day of the week and on good days I can fly for over 8 hours at a time. I have yet to have any problems with NC Drone rules period. You can't fly FROM National Park land (and there is a good bit of it up in the mountains of NC by the way) but we have no problems flying from reasonable locations from the coast to the mountains.

What I find ironic is that people are offended that they can't take off/land from private property without permission. It's PRIVATE PROPERTY! You shouldn't be on their property if you don't have permission.

North Carolina is a great state to live, work, & fly in. Cashiers is an area I cover and work in often. Lake Glenville up there is breath taking and a great place to fly and shoot pics & data.

I lucked out and flew right before they changed the laws in the National Parks. I've flown a bunch of places on the Outer Banks and never had a problem

Reactions: TheBlunden
I’ve never had any issues flying in NC at all... but I do follow the rules and use common sense in all situations.

I’ve never had any issues from bystanders but tend to fly when people are not an issue.

I live in a rural area and most folks have plenty of guns... lol, so I did let folks around me know I owned a drone. No one gave it a second thought after that.

I’m not sure why our state is “known “ for strict drone rules? Privacy issues I’m sure happen in all states. Just pay attention to where your flying and respect those around you.

It’s a great state to fly!

I am actually traveling to the Wilmington area in March and have been reading up on the NC drone laws. The way I read it, is that you can not take off of state property, which to me would be the state capital, DMV, etc. However, I would think that launching and landing on a side walk, which is public property would be legitimate. Am I thinking about this incorrectly?

I am actually traveling to the Wilmington area in March and have been reading up on the NC drone laws. The way I read it, is that you can not take off of state property, which to me would be the state capital, DMV, etc. However, I would think that launching and landing on a side walk, which is public property would be legitimate. Am I thinking about this incorrectly?

I launch from sidewalks, parking garages, side roads... you name it.

Reactions: dirkclod

Fly over Glenville Lake from my kayak all the time. Don’t fly over people’s homes. or businesses. No one has ever bothered me including the game warden or Sheriffs personnel.

Reactions: BigAl07
Fly over Glenville Lake from my kayak all the time. Don’t fly over people’s homes. or businesses. No one has ever bothered me including the game warden or Sheriff’s personnel.

You live in a beautiful area. I'm from Haywood County but Cashiers is an area we service regularly. Some amazing views all over the place.

John I fly commercially, recreationally, and for the State of NC in Emergency Services. Not to boast (too late LOL) but I can 100% assure you I am intimately familiar with NC and the Fed regulations.

So then when it mentions not taking off from state property is there a definition of what that means?

When I fly there it was only on private property and only with permission.

So then when it mentions not taking off from state property is there a definition of what that means?

When I fly there it was only on private property and only with permission.

My interpretation (and it's only Mine not a legal one) is I wouldn't fly from the State Courthouses, NC SHP property, other high profile "State" owned/managed property. Common sense and courtesy will go a long way day in and day out.

Tagging along as a new flyer in central NC - fortunate to live on 13 acres with another 20 or so of family land that is adjoining, and then another 100 or so of family land up the road, but there certainly will be more scenic parts of NC that I will want to fly in.

Reactions: BigAl07
Spent some time this morning reviewing the North Carolina Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Operator Permit study guide, which does a good job of outlining the NC-specific regulations - and can be found here: NCDOT: Unmanned Aircraft Systems

I appreciate this post as it brought to my awareness some NC specifics, particularly the requirement for the NC based permit (in addition to the 107) for any commercial use.

In reviewing the NC regs, my take-away is that it is not overly onerous and mostly falls in the realm of common sense - fundamentally you have to have permission to launch/recover from private property or State property - the private property seems an obvious no-brainer - the State property I guess could get questionable depending where it is and such, but again seems to fall under common sense. The one area that was interesting was the rules - and potential penalties - for publishing/distribution of photographs of individuals without their consent unless in a public area - though again, not really surprising and again, sort of common sense.

Spent some time this morning reviewing the North Carolina Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Operator Permit study guide, which does a good job of outlining the NC-specific regulations - and can be found here: NCDOT: Unmanned Aircraft Systems

I appreciate this post as it brought to my awareness some NC specifics, particularly the requirement for the NC based permit (in addition to the 107) for any commercial use.

In reviewing the NC regs, my take-away is that it is not overly onerous and mostly falls in the realm of common sense - fundamentally you have to have permission to launch/recover from private property or State property - the private property seems an obvious no-brainer - the State property I guess could get questionable depending where it is and such, but again seems to fall under common sense. The one area that was interesting was the rules - and potential penalties - for publishing/distribution of photographs of individuals without their consent unless in a public area - though again, not really surprising and again, sort of common sense.

Well stated. So in theory you're saying that the sky IS NOT actually falling in NC? LOL

It's easy to read rules/law/regs and jump to some extreme conclusions but when you step back, take a deep breath, and look at it from a reasonable perspective it does make more sense and seem more realistic.

NC has some strict laws about how we can use sUAS in Law Enforcement and Emergency situations. Even those can be misquoted or blown out of proportion quickly. Just yesterday I was told by someone online that I could not Test/Train with my sUAS in NC when working for Law Enforcement without a WARRANT! WRONG!! We can not Gather Evidence *unless exigent circumstances* without a warrant.... HUGE difference.

Reactions: Simone L and Carb63

Usually sidewalks and the sort are city/county property so you also have to check for restrictions by those entities. I first thought the same as you about state property but if the letter of the law is enforced, you can't take off fairly close to a state road, because they own more land than just where the pavement is, or from anything the state owns. I do not know if it is enforced or not but they can if they want to. I understand the need to provide some safety to state agencies and government, and personal property, but NC just put in a blanket law which I think is ridiculous. They could have done a better job and I feel they were just to lazy to do the work required.

Reactions: Carb63 and pvs
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2