DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Scotland

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

At some point, maybe now not this year, I hope to get up the west and northern coasts of Scotland and maybe into the Central Highlands but the air map looks daunting. Sorry except for Caithness I doubt I will do the East Coast. Whilst googling I came across Guide to Drone Photography in Scotland - Hidden Scotland and am wondering what folks think of the info it contains? I thought I was basically scuppered by the restriction zone/s but the article seems to suggest there is hope. Local input would be very welcome.

Hi, Philius!
Hauptmann here, from Texas. Never flown Scotland myself, but we have members from all over Scotland who can help you find places to fly. Try the following thread:

Good luck!

Thanks Hauptmann, I don't want to ask there as I don't want to 'hijack' the thread. Biker...thanks will have a look

Reactions: Hauptmann
There is a good crown estates guide to the coastline on the gov website.
It's only relevant to England, Wales and NI. In Scotland the Outdoor Access Code applies. Basically unless you're in an air traffic restricted zone then you're good so long as you're not damaging property or upsetting wildlife or livestock. Generally in rural Scotland, Wheaton's Law applies.

Thanks Hamish, "Wheaton's Law" that's a new one to me but I see it's translation.
That said my concern is an RAF pilot trying out a Scottish version of the Mach Loop.
Decades ago I was overflown, near Hebden Bridge, by some sort of fighter, nothing else could have been that loud. I couldn't see it for the trees but from the noise he was making he must have been blooming low and I had earplugs in and a crash helmet on at the time. I nearly needed a change of undies.

And now....... I would have no chance of hearing a fighter until it was past.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good practical guide you've found although I'd add that there's little network reception in the north and west of the Highlands so you need to make sure you plan in advance,

I live in the Highlands but I don't see RAF activity very often these days although I don't know what their movements are at the moment. You used to see the fighters blasting up Loch Ness from time to time but I can't recall the last time I did. RAF Leuchars has been shut down and the Nimrods out of Lossiemouth have been scrapped although there are apparently a few Typhoons there. By far the most common aircraft i see are the search and rescue helicopters bringing people to the hospital.

Admittedly I've not been on the move much over the last year but I really don't think you'd have any problems flying the drone and there's plenty of scenic landscape to find.

I tend to fly with the phone in airplane mode and wifi manually switched off so lack of internet at the flying site isn't a problem but your highlighting this issue has made me think to cache maps when near free wifi's, thanks.
Tesco Pay as You Go here so data rates are probably too expensive for serious use and as I am deaf I don't use the phone for calls so a "call plan" is pointless, £10 lasts me months lol

Great thread as I was curious of this myself. Had a trip booked to Scotland before covid so now I’m set to go next May. Will be taking the MA2 for sure

Ha ha yea I’ve heard they aren’t the best that time but that march may be too early with lots of rain?

Ha ha yea I’ve heard they aren’t the best that time but that march may be too early with lots of rain?

March/April can be superb in the Northwest especially on Skye before the midges arrive. But the weather can be very unpredictable. I’ve been on Skye many, many times and almost moved there permanently but ended up in Australia! The only predictable thing is rain in the east of Scotland and you’ll get good weather on the west coast... and vice versa.

Currently stuck in Old Blighty due to flight restrictions but would dearly love to visit Scotland with my M2Pro before we return home.

Reactions: Wick
My sister lives on Skye. They have a campsite (the campsite overlooking the sea) and a small croft house they rent out - it is a refurbished ruin from the 'highland clearances'. Iain has rebuilt it from a basic outline no more than 2 ft high. It is his family croft from ancient times. About 10 miles north of Uig, so ideal for the Quairang, Staffin and Duntulm castle. Spring is nearly always a good time to go with great weather and no midges. The ext best is autumn, avoid the 'summer' at all costs!

If I am allowed to mention the campsite it is at : Camus mor, about 10 miles north of Uig. Ask for Bryony and Iain Macdonald. EVERYONE will know of them, he was the postman and the local Highland & Island councillor!

I know the place well and have had the pleasure of meeting Iain. Many years ago during a savage gale I was photographing Duntulm castle, needed to put another roll of film in the camera so left the camera on its tripod and walked back to the car only to hear a large crash and turned to see a cloud of dust. The last remains part of the tower wall had just fallen right beside my camera where I had been standing! Very, very fortunate my camera survived and I got the first photo of the ‘new look’ ruin that got published in the West Highland Free Press.

Can’t wait to get back to Skye with my drone!

Reactions: KingRat
My sister lives on Skye. They have a campsite (the campsite overlooking the sea) and a small croft house they rent out - it is a refurbished ruin from the 'highland clearances'. Iain has rebuilt it from a basic outline no more than 2 ft high. It is his family croft from ancient times. About 10 miles north of Uig, so ideal for the Quairang, Staffin and Duntulm castle. Spring is nearly always a good time to go with great weather and no midges. The ext best is autumn, avoid the 'summer' at all costs!

If I am allowed to mention the campsite it is at : Camus mor, about 10 miles north of Uig. Ask for Bryony and Iain Macdonald. EVERYONE will know of them, he was the postman and the local Highland & Island councillor!

I was last there in May 2018 and the midges weren’t too bad until an evening down at the Fairy Pools. Man, I’ve never seen so many of the evil bug###s!! Needed a bit of a breeze to keep them away.

• Haha
Reactions: KingRat
I’m so excited. I’ve never traveled abroad and was super bummed at the whole COVID crap but working as a Respiratory Therapist it has definitely kept me busy. I just keep thinking it’s more months or save up and spend a few more days than originally planned so that’s good

I’m so excited. I’ve never traveled abroad and was super bummed at the whole COVID crap but working as a Respiratory Therapist it has definitely kept me busy. I just keep thinking it’s more months or save up and spend a few more days than originally planned so that’s good

A big thank you for what you have been doing to help those in need during this pandemic. I’m sure all of us on this forum greatly appreciate your skills and the risk you took to your own well-being to help others.

You will love Scotland!

Reactions: HudsonHawk56
I was last there in May 2018 and the midges weren’t too bad until an evening down at the Fairy Pools. Man, I’ve never seen so many of the evil bug###s!! Needed a bit of a breeze to keep them away.
I will mention you to them when I ring this week. I phone them most weeks, usually on a Sunday morning.

I will mention you to them when I ring this week. I phone them most weeks, usually on a Sunday morning.

Much appreciated!!

The West Highland Free Press used to do some brilliant cartoon sketches on them. I’ll have a dig around… and low flying aircraft too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54