DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Texas

ChattMavicPilot

Reactions
I am planning a trip to Corpus Christi, TX and was contemplating taking my drone (since it is made for travel). When I read through the drone laws in Texas, the item that jumps out at me is that you can not have any photos or videos of anyone without their permission/knowledge. Am I reading this correctly? I know if you are going to fly for compensation, that this is true pretty much everywhere, but does it hold true for those that are flying in a purely recreational/hobby function?

I think you read it wrong. CHAPTER 423. USE OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT, Sec. 423.002. NONAPPLICABILITY. (a) It is lawful to capture an image using an unmanned aircraft in this state: (15) of public real property or a person on that property;

Reading that portion of the law it states that as long as the person is on public property it is lawful without their consent. This is similar to ground based photography. Also for anyone to even start a complaint they would have to be identifiable so if you keep your distance you should be okay.

Reactions: Smalls
The Texas law does appear to require permission to take photos of any private property using a UAV unless the photo is incidental. You may take photos of property with the permission of the property owner and it's ok to include a little of the neighbor's if it is incidental.

If you want to legally take photos of random private property, you will need to use a manned aircraft.

Nick

The link in my post was copied from the Texas link within this app. But it’s always good to have a general source.

True, but HB912 is much more broad. There is more than one law/bill to pay attention to. HB912 appears to legalize just about any commercial use they could think of while making private photos of private property illegal without the property owner's permission. Makes me glad I don't live in Texas. Like many drone laws, it criminalizes photos taken with UAV's that would be legal if taken by some other means: manned aircraft or even hand held cameras while standing on the ground.

Nick

Reactions: Thomas B
True, but HB912 is much more broad. There is more than one law/bill to pay attention to. HB912 appears to legalize just about any commercial use they could think of while making private photos of private property illegal without the property owner's permission. Makes me glad I don't live in Texas. Like many drone laws, it criminalizes photos taken with UAV's that would be legal if taken by some other means: manned aircraft or even hand held cameras while standing on the ground.

Nick
Hopefully the law will eventually be tested in court and thrown out. I grew up in TX... things seems bucolic and resistant to change.

Upon further reading of the law, perhaps it's not as bad as I first thought. Read and make your own judgement.

Sec.A423.003.AAOFFENSE: ILLEGAL USE OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT TO
CAPTURE IMAGE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person uses an
unmanned aircraft to capture an image of an individual or privately
owned real property in this state with the intent to conduct
surveillance on the individual or property captured in the image.

The 'intent to conduct surveillance' may allow for just sight seeing type photos.

Nick

Reactions: Thomas B
Slightly off topic but back this morning from a 10-day road trip covering 1,600 miles + all over Texas and couldn't get the drone out as it was too windy. Guess I was unlucky weather wise....

Slightly off topic but back this morning from a 10-day road trip covering 1,600 miles + all over Texas and couldn't get the drone out as it was too windy. Guess I was unlucky weather wise....
curious as to whats to windy I fly many days when the wind is 20 to 25 MPH no problems

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580