DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in the rain

Pedro.FR2K

Reactions
So I have a wedding tomorrow and theres 50% chance that it will be raining tomorrow.

I’ve already flew in the rain once, I was far away when it started to rain suddenly. Landed immediately, even though it took me 5 minutes to come back.
Is the MP capable of flying in the rain without a problem or is it a no no situation? If it is possible, any suggestions?
I really want to fly because the place im flying on is amazing.

Depends how lucky you feel tomorrow?...:)

Condensation on the sensors is your biggest threat, in your risk management....

I think water in the battery connection and power button would be my concern first . Battery could power down while in the air if the ( smart ) battery thinks there is a short circuit

There is a YouTube where they were testing how sturdy the M2 would be in a crash. Besides that he poured a bottle of water over it while it was hovering.

I think water in the battery connection and power button would be my concern first . Battery could power down while in the air if the ( smart ) battery thinks there is a short circuit

What if I put tape around the battery? Would it help?

I would think if you taped around the battery it should stop a battery issue. Don’t forget the power button

The Mavic Pro can fly in the rain until it can’t. I would never intentionally fly in the rain, but if I had to fly through rain in order to get it back I would.

If you are okay with the drone dropping from the sky then do it.

Reactions: Zeke
So I have a wedding tomorrow and theres 50% chance that it will be raining tomorrow.

I’ve already flew in the rain once, I was far away when it started to rain suddenly. Landed immediately, even though it took me 5 minutes to come back.
Is the MP capable of flying in the rain without a problem or is it a no no situation? If it is possible, any suggestions?
I really want to fly because the place im flying on is amazing.

You didn't specify, but if it's an MP1 there is a fan that will suck water in the vents in back of the camera... not sure about the MP2.

Reactions: vkantabu
Update on the flight.
Spent 5 minutes under light rain, used tape and also the bubble to prevent water damaging the gimbal. Didn’t have a single problem. Checked under the battery and there were no signs of water, I guess the tape really did a good job.

I know my old original phantom flew in heavy rain once, because I was caught out flying out over the atlantic ocean and saw big black storm clouds approaching fast, and I could not get back fast enough to land, and the rain came down like stair rods and it suddenly became extremly windy the phantom was in the heavy rain for approx 7minutes untill I could reluctantly hand catch it as it was to windy to land on the ground, the rain did not appear to have done any lasting damage but I would not fly in the rain out of choice.

Reactions: vkantabu
Update on the flight.
Spent 5 minutes under light rain, used tape and also the bubble to prevent water damaging the gimbal. Didn’t have a single problem. Checked under the battery and there were no signs of water, I guess the tape really did a good job.
Didn't you get water on the bubble screwing up the photos/video?

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada