DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying indoors near airport

The FAA website FAA.gov that is the best way

Agreed - at least it should be since it is generally the definitive source. Not always though, since it doesn't always include, or even link to, the original regulations. So while I was being somewhat facetious it has become apparent that the discussions on this forum (and maybe others, though I haven't seen them) end up clarifying a lot of misconceptions.

It may or may not work, try a custom unlock with DJI. You can set the Long/Lat with a circumference distance around that location. I don't know if it will allow a small enough area for just your home. And where you normally list your WAA and 107 information, you can try putting a statement that this is for an indoor flight, inside of your home. It is worth a try. If it works, you might post here so others will know.

If you are indoors then FAA restrictions do not apply. You might be able to approach DJI for a permanent exception for that specific airport NFZ on those grounds, but I'm not sure if they'll accommodate you or not since that would also allow you to fly outside and you are not going to have a waiver for that. Doesn't hurt to ask though. Alternatively, DJI has a form to perform 24hour NFZ self-unlocks on demand, which can be found here.

You will need to be logged into a DJI account to use the unlock NFZ feature.
Or buy a Autel I’m so done with DJI come on evo2.

Or buy a Autel I’m so done with DJI come on evo2.

You're assuming Autel won't include similar functionality in the Evo2. With more and more jurisdictions moving towards requiring some kind of active location awareness on retail drones even if Autel doesn't implement that kind of functionality on the Evo2 they're probably going to be shooting themselves in the foot if they have not done so by the time the Evo3 (or whatever) ships. Problem at the moment - e.g. with the FCC's current proposal - is that the goalpost are not even really on the pitch yet, let alone finished moving around, so being proactive like DJI has been is also a gamble. Long term though, I think mandatory NFZs and at least some form of ADS-B/remote location awareness is going to be a given for all commercially available drones in so many countries it's going to be the default, so we might as well get used to it or start learning how to build your own aircraft (and stocking up on certain components).

I'm actually kinda hoping that there won't be any "must have" updates with the next gen drones - DJI, or otherwise. I'm more than happy with my M2P at present, so if skipping the Evo2/M3P/whatever lets the global legislation settle down a little and any required technologies to be implemented and debugged then so much the better. I just want quality imagery, the ability to operate within an NFZ under a suitable waiver if/when I need one, and a drone that does as much of the work of actually flying and keeping the camera stable for me as possible. What I definitely don't want is a drone that is legally OK to fly in one country and not in another, and that's a limbo that I suspect quite a few of the 2020 drones may well find themselves in unless there are legal waivers for older aircraft that lack a given bit of functionality. Caveat emptor, I guess...

Reactions: BigAl07
You're assuming Autel won't include similar functionality in the Evo2.
At least with the Evo2 its not an assumption. No geo-fencing has been listed in the specs, and their own video claims "no flight restrictions". Who knows for the Evo3...

Sometimes I get that and sometimes I don't which is why I said "hit or miss" because even when I check that, and it says "go fly" as soon as I do that all of a sudden I get the "you ain't going no where" error message. :) I know that is not exactly what it says but that's what I feel when I get that message.
Are you within 7NM of ATL? that Class B goes from the surface to 12500. Close all your curtains could work but I think if you are denied flight in Class B airspace you won't be able to fly until you get a GPS position clear of the Class B if that make sense. That was the feeling I got when I tried to fly indoors under the LAX Class B. It's pretty easy to get a GPS position indoors with enough windows.

Use this website to find out how Dji's NFZ's are programmed for your particular model in your location. They often don't match up perfectly with what you'll see on other NFZ apps.

Fly Safe Geo Zone Map

I had the same issue recently. Our church had just renovated our sanctuary, and I offered to do a short flyover inside of the space. Unfortunately, the building is in the NFZ of the local small county airport, so couldn't even take off. kinda sad, esp given that there would obviously be no way i would be a safety hazard INSIDE the building.

I had the same issue recently. Our church had just renovated our sanctuary, and I offered to do a short flyover inside of the space. Unfortunately, the building is in the NFZ of the local small county airport, so couldn't even take off. kinda sad, esp given that there would obviously be no way i would be a safety hazard INSIDE the building.

Can you elaborate? Is this inside a DJI restricted (red) zone? If not then you can fly.

If you are inside how does dji determine you are in a NFZ? I don't understand. My M2 will go into ATTI mode in my area (NFZ) and only alert me we are in the nfz when it achieves a GPS lock. Indoors this shouldn't happen.

If you are inside how does dji determine you are in a NFZ? I don't understand. My M2 will go into ATTI mode in my area (NFZ) and only alert me we are in the nfz when it achieves a GPS lock. Indoors this shouldn't happen.

Depends on the building you're in. GPS signals can still be picked up indoors depending on how many walls, floors, windows, etc etc are in the way. May not be enough to fly but still enough to know proximity to NFZ's. Even different locations in the same building. IE, I can't get a GPS lock in my living room but I can in one of my back bedrooms on the other side of the house.

Thanks for explaining.

Can you elaborate? Is this inside a DJI restricted (red) zone? If not then you can fly.

Just got a new M2Z. Unboxed this evening. I live in a Blue DJI authorization zone near a Class C airport. However, I’m in 0 altitude in Kittyhawk/AirMap (I can go 5 houses up my street and fly 100‘ ). I authorize Blue zone via GO4 to the AC/RC. When I try to start motors & hover in my garage, my RC shows Opti then GPS. GO4 shows dialog to accept responsibility. After that I get a unlocking prompt. Then I get an “Unlock failed. This zone cannot be unlocked. (Error code: 3002). I wonder if GO4 now has Laanc embedded (IOS v4.3.32). Gonna try living room 2moro. Too burned 2nite to try now.
I haven’t even been able to even start motors to see how she sounds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krasto